Batteries problem with Fuji FinePix s602Z

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tux, Jan 20, 2004.

  1. Tux

    Tux Guest

    Hello!
    Has anybody seen this kind of problem
    with Fuji Finepix s602 Zoom: camera discharges
    1 (one) of 4 NiMH batteries down to "0V" (even
    with polarity exchange), if camera is leaved for 5-6
    days? The rest of batteries are almost full.
    At least my camera does.
    And all the time same battery's bay.

    I've tested it with 3 sets of NiMH, tried to
    rotate them with different bays - nothing, same bay.

    If I use CF Type card inside, the result is worse.

    Best regards,
    -Vitali
    Tux, Jan 20, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. "Tux" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:hcPb.297$...
    > Hello!
    > Has anybody seen this kind of problem
    > with Fuji Finepix s602 Zoom: camera discharges
    > 1 (one) of 4 NiMH batteries down to "0V" (even
    > with polarity exchange), if camera is leaved for 5-6
    > days? The rest of batteries are almost full.
    > At least my camera does.
    > And all the time same battery's bay.
    >
    > I've tested it with 3 sets of NiMH, tried to
    > rotate them with different bays - nothing, same bay.
    >
    > If I use CF Type card inside, the result is worse.


    It sounds like a faulty camera to me, although I don't know that model
    from personal experience.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jan 20, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Tux

    Bill Guest

    I have the same camera, and I have not had that problem. Maybe the
    contact(s) in that bay are dirty. Otherwise it sounds like a repair problem,
    since you said it's only the battery in that one bay, and happens with all 3
    sets of batteries.

    Bill

    "Tux" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:hcPb.297$...
    > Hello!
    > Has anybody seen this kind of problem
    > with Fuji Finepix s602 Zoom: camera discharges
    > 1 (one) of 4 NiMH batteries down to "0V" (even
    > with polarity exchange), if camera is leaved for 5-6
    > days? The rest of batteries are almost full.
    > At least my camera does.
    > And all the time same battery's bay.
    >
    > I've tested it with 3 sets of NiMH, tried to
    > rotate them with different bays - nothing, same bay.
    >
    > If I use CF Type card inside, the result is worse.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > -Vitali
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Bill, Jan 20, 2004
    #3
  4. Tux

    nobody Guest

    "Tux" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:hcPb.297$...
    > Hello!
    > Has anybody seen this kind of problem
    > with Fuji Finepix s602 Zoom: camera discharges
    > 1 (one) of 4 NiMH batteries down to "0V" (even
    > with polarity exchange), if camera is leaved for 5-6
    > days? The rest of batteries are almost full.
    > At least my camera does.
    > And all the time same battery's bay.
    >
    > I've tested it with 3 sets of NiMH, tried to
    > rotate them with different bays - nothing, same bay.
    >
    > If I use CF Type card inside, the result is worse.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > -Vitali
    >


    Hi Vitali
    This is a 'Known problem'. Have a browse of the Fuji Forum at
    http://www.dpreview.com/ and read all about it.
    Sadly I seem to remember there may be no easy solution but to have a fight
    with Fuji to correct it.
    From memory I think the problem is a short once the battery door is closed,
    possibly due to poor design.
    Jerry
    nobody, Jan 20, 2004
    #4
  5. Tux

    Vitali Guest

    Hi Bill,
    I've took the professional multimeter today
    and going to meausure current's leaking
    from the contact.
    Sounds a bit stupid. I very like this camera,
    and don't want to change it.

    Br
    -Vitali

    Bill wrote:

    > I have the same camera, and I have not had that problem. Maybe the
    > contact(s) in that bay are dirty. Otherwise it sounds like a repair
    > problem, since you said it's only the battery in that one bay, and happens
    > with all 3 sets of batteries.
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > "Tux" <> wrote in message
    > news:eek:hcPb.297$...
    >> Hello!
    >> Has anybody seen this kind of problem
    >> with Fuji Finepix s602 Zoom: camera discharges
    >> 1 (one) of 4 NiMH batteries down to "0V" (even
    >> with polarity exchange), if camera is leaved for 5-6
    >> days? The rest of batteries are almost full.
    >> At least my camera does.
    >> And all the time same battery's bay.
    >>
    >> I've tested it with 3 sets of NiMH, tried to
    >> rotate them with different bays - nothing, same bay.
    >>
    >> If I use CF Type card inside, the result is worse.
    >>
    >> Best regards,
    >> -Vitali
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    Vitali, Jan 20, 2004
    #5
  6. Tux

    Vitali Guest

    Hi!
    According to the www.dpreview.com phorum,
    this is a "well-known" problem for s602-s7000.
    I'm waiting for the last test - new set of
    full charged NiMH batteries, camera is turned off,
    SmartMedia card only installed. I'm going to check
    the batteries after 5 days of "standby".
    Seems that it's a camera's fault. Anyway, I can't
    understand, how it is possible to discharge 1
    battery from the serial chain of 4.

    Br
    -Vitali

    David J Taylor wrote:

    > "Tux" <> wrote in message
    > news:eek:hcPb.297$...
    >> Hello!
    >> Has anybody seen this kind of problem
    >> with Fuji Finepix s602 Zoom: camera discharges
    >> 1 (one) of 4 NiMH batteries down to "0V" (even
    >> with polarity exchange), if camera is leaved for 5-6
    >> days? The rest of batteries are almost full.
    >> At least my camera does.
    >> And all the time same battery's bay.
    >>
    >> I've tested it with 3 sets of NiMH, tried to
    >> rotate them with different bays - nothing, same bay.
    >>
    >> If I use CF Type card inside, the result is worse.

    >
    > It sounds like a faulty camera to me, although I don't know that model
    > from personal experience.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David
    Vitali, Jan 20, 2004
    #6
  7. Tux

    Vitali Guest

    Hi Jerry,

    > This is a 'Known problem'. Have a browse of the Fuji Forum at
    > http://www.dpreview.com/ and read all about it.

    Yes, I remember a lot of threads at Dpreview.

    > Sadly I seem to remember there may be no easy solution but to have a fight
    > with Fuji to correct it.
    > From memory I think the problem is a short once the battery door is
    > closed, possibly due to poor design.

    Oh, battery door. I very like s602, but this stupid bug.
    Ok, I'll try to fight the Fuji and Nomatica support.

    Br
    -Vitali
    Vitali, Jan 20, 2004
    #7
  8. Tux

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi...

    Vitali wrote:
    > Hi!
    > According to the www.dpreview.com phorum,
    > this is a "well-known" problem for s602-s7000.
    > I'm waiting for the last test - new set of
    > full charged NiMH batteries, camera is turned off,
    > SmartMedia card only installed. I'm going to check
    > the batteries after 5 days of "standby".
    > Seems that it's a camera's fault. Anyway, I can't
    > understand, how it is possible to discharge 1
    > battery from the serial chain of 4.
    >
    > Br
    > -Vitali
    >


    Unless they've tapped off one cell for a source of
    1.2 volts for some other purpose, like maintaining
    settings in memory?

    Take care.

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Jan 20, 2004
    #8
  9. Tux

    Vitali Guest

    Hi Ken,
    Ken Weitzel wrote:

    > Vitali wrote:
    >> Hi!
    >> According to the www.dpreview.com phorum,
    >> this is a "well-known" problem for s602-s7000.
    >> I'm waiting for the last test - new set of
    >> full charged NiMH batteries, camera is turned off,
    >> SmartMedia card only installed. I'm going to check
    >> the batteries after 5 days of "standby".
    >> Seems that it's a camera's fault. Anyway, I can't
    >> understand, how it is possible to discharge 1
    >> battery from the serial chain of 4.
    >>
    >> Br
    >> -Vitali
    >>

    >
    > Unless they've tapped off one cell for a source of
    > 1.2 volts for some other purpose, like maintaining
    > settings in memory?
    >
    > Take care.
    >
    > Ken

    Yes, camera uses batteries somehow, because I've
    measured current in "power-off" state - about 0.4 mA.
    Probably for the RealTime Clock chip.
    But there is no visible extra wires from certain
    battery (bay) - how it possible to discharge only
    this one?

    Br
    -Vitali
    Vitali, Jan 20, 2004
    #9
  10. Tux

    Steve Guest

    Tux <> wrote in message news:<ohcPb.297$>...
    > Hello!
    > Has anybody seen this kind of problem
    > with Fuji Finepix s602 Zoom: camera discharges
    > 1 (one) of 4 NiMH batteries down to "0V" (even
    > with polarity exchange), if camera is leaved for 5-6
    > days? The rest of batteries are almost full.
    > At least my camera does.
    > And all the time same battery's bay.
    >
    > I've tested it with 3 sets of NiMH, tried to
    > rotate them with different bays - nothing, same bay.
    >
    > If I use CF Type card inside, the result is worse.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > -Vitali



    Vitali,
    I own both the S602 and the S7000. I do not have the problem you
    are describing with either of my cameras. I use a variety of NiMH
    batteries, usually in the 2000mAH range. I have to agree with the
    other posters, it definitely sounds like a camera defect. You may have
    something shorted internally that is drawing down the battery. It
    really sounds strange that it would only draw down one out of the four
    in the battery compartment.
    Best of luck to you, I hope you resolve this so you can get back
    to enjoying your love of photography.

    Steve
    Steve, Jan 21, 2004
    #10
  11. Tux

    Mike Guest

    I have to wonder if Fuji is using one cell to keep a 'memory' alive in the
    camera. Time/date for instance.
    Seems a strange way to design a power supply, but anything is possible.

    One would need to meter the individual cell that is being discharged with a
    series ma. meter to ascertain the current draw.
    Probes are made for this operation, but they are usually not found at
    consumer electronics stores.

    Mike

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Tux <> wrote in message

    news:<ohcPb.297$>...
    > > Hello!
    > > Has anybody seen this kind of problem
    > > with Fuji Finepix s602 Zoom: camera discharges
    > > 1 (one) of 4 NiMH batteries down to "0V" (even
    > > with polarity exchange), if camera is leaved for 5-6
    > > days? The rest of batteries are almost full.
    > > At least my camera does.
    > > And all the time same battery's bay.
    > >
    > > I've tested it with 3 sets of NiMH, tried to
    > > rotate them with different bays - nothing, same bay.
    > >
    > > If I use CF Type card inside, the result is worse.
    > >
    > > Best regards,
    > > -Vitali

    >
    >
    > Vitali,
    > I own both the S602 and the S7000. I do not have the problem you
    > are describing with either of my cameras. I use a variety of NiMH
    > batteries, usually in the 2000mAH range. I have to agree with the
    > other posters, it definitely sounds like a camera defect. You may have
    > something shorted internally that is drawing down the battery. It
    > really sounds strange that it would only draw down one out of the four
    > in the battery compartment.
    > Best of luck to you, I hope you resolve this so you can get back
    > to enjoying your love of photography.
    >
    > Steve
    Mike, Jan 21, 2004
    #11
  12. Tux

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi...

    Vitali wrote:
    > Hi Ken,
    > Ken Weitzel wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Vitali wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi!
    >>>According to the www.dpreview.com phorum,
    >>>this is a "well-known" problem for s602-s7000.
    >>>I'm waiting for the last test - new set of
    >>>full charged NiMH batteries, camera is turned off,
    >>>SmartMedia card only installed. I'm going to check
    >>>the batteries after 5 days of "standby".
    >>>Seems that it's a camera's fault. Anyway, I can't
    >>>understand, how it is possible to discharge 1
    >>>battery from the serial chain of 4.
    >>>
    >>>Br
    >>>-Vitali
    >>>

    >>
    >>Unless they've tapped off one cell for a source of
    >>1.2 volts for some other purpose, like maintaining
    >>settings in memory?
    >>
    >>Take care.
    >>
    >>Ken

    >
    > Yes, camera uses batteries somehow, because I've
    > measured current in "power-off" state - about 0.4 mA.
    > Probably for the RealTime Clock chip.
    > But there is no visible extra wires from certain
    > battery (bay) - how it possible to discharge only
    > this one?
    >
    > Br
    > -Vitali


    That seems like a lot of current. I have no Fuji;
    only a few Olympus's. I just checked each of them
    with fully charged batteries. 200uv (200 microvolts)
    shows nothing, just .0000...

    But even if that is the "fault", it might explain
    a shorter than expected shelf life in the camera,
    but not one cell alone going down.

    My neighbor got a Fuji for Christmas. I don't know
    which model. It's too late here in Winnipeg Canada
    now, but I'll ask them tomorrow evening if I may
    check the turned off current.

    Take care.

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Jan 21, 2004
    #12
  13. Tux

    Canopus Guest

    "Ken Weitzel" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > Hi...
    >
    > Vitali wrote:
    > > Hi Ken,
    > > Ken Weitzel wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > >>Vitali wrote:
    > >>
    > >>>Hi!
    > >>>According to the www.dpreview.com phorum,
    > >>>this is a "well-known" problem for s602-s7000.
    > >>>I'm waiting for the last test - new set of
    > >>>full charged NiMH batteries, camera is turned off,
    > >>>SmartMedia card only installed. I'm going to check
    > >>>the batteries after 5 days of "standby".
    > >>>Seems that it's a camera's fault. Anyway, I can't
    > >>>understand, how it is possible to discharge 1
    > >>>battery from the serial chain of 4.
    > >>>
    > >>>Br
    > >>>-Vitali
    > >>>
    > >>
    > >>Unless they've tapped off one cell for a source of
    > >>1.2 volts for some other purpose, like maintaining
    > >>settings in memory?
    > >>
    > >>Take care.
    > >>
    > >>Ken

    > >
    > > Yes, camera uses batteries somehow, because I've
    > > measured current in "power-off" state - about 0.4 mA.
    > > Probably for the RealTime Clock chip.
    > > But there is no visible extra wires from certain
    > > battery (bay) - how it possible to discharge only
    > > this one?
    > >
    > > Br
    > > -Vitali

    >
    > That seems like a lot of current. I have no Fuji;
    > only a few Olympus's. I just checked each of them
    > with fully charged batteries. 200uv (200 microvolts)
    > shows nothing, just .0000...
    >
    > But even if that is the "fault", it might explain
    > a shorter than expected shelf life in the camera,
    > but not one cell alone going down.
    >
    > My neighbor got a Fuji for Christmas. I don't know
    > which model. It's too late here in Winnipeg Canada
    > now, but I'll ask them tomorrow evening if I may
    > check the turned off current.
    >
    > Take care.
    >
    > Ken
    >


    I've been seeing the same thing with my S602Z. I couldn't understand it,
    thought it was a battery problem and that I had a bad batch of batteries so
    bought new ones. Then it persisted so I thought it was a charger problem so
    got a new charger. Still noticed it so started marking the discharged
    battery to see if it always cropped up in the same compartment...it
    did...it's the camera. Problem now is that my smart charger likes all the
    batteries to be approximately discharged to the same level, OK if I'm using
    the camera intensely, but, a pain in the @$$ during photography lulls unless
    I remove the batteries and loose all my settings and time.

    I mean Jeez, I have clocks etc. that keep perfect time for years on one AA
    battery yet this camera gets through one in about a week if not less just to
    preserve settings and time!!!

    Rob
    Canopus, Jan 21, 2004
    #13
  14. Tux

    S Smith Guest

    This is news to me as I have never experienced any problem with my
    camera. I've never left the camera on for any length of time after
    using it, but as long as it's turned off it can sit in its case for a
    month or more with no ill effects. Even after sitting for weeks,
    which is problably the most it ever has been idle, I would expect to
    be able to snap off at least a dozen shots before it shuts itself
    down.
    Then I recharge the cells and am ready for another hours shooting
    followed by a month in the case and can still shoot a dozen more
    again.

    I am curious as to the cell compartment in which this has been
    experienced. Can you specify? For reference, when I open mine I have
    the camera upside down with the lens pointing towards me. This leaves
    the battery on the right and the door opening up and away from me.

    I imagine if this is happening in the same compartment in all
    instances, and will bet it is one in the front or back where the
    positive terminal is inserted down (towards the top of the camera).
    There would be one cell which is the primary positive contact in the 4
    cell battery. This cell would be the one being drawn from first, with
    the other 3 cells behind it in series, and I am guessing anything
    happening to the battery would affect this cell, then once drained the
    other 3 would be isolated in an open circuit... thus losing time and
    settings. Just a guess though..


    steve
    S Smith, Jan 22, 2004
    #14
  15. Tux

    Canopus Guest

    "S Smith" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    <snip>
    >
    > I am curious as to the cell compartment in which this has been
    > experienced. Can you specify? For reference, when I open mine I have
    > the camera upside down with the lens pointing towards me. This leaves
    > the battery on the right and the door opening up and away from me.
    >

    <snip>
    ...
    >
    >
    > steve


    Typical, I haven't used my camera for a couple of weeks, just turned it on
    and OK. Just checked the batteries with a meter and again all show good
    charge to same level, yet, I'm not imagining what's happening. However,
    battery test meters are not the best way to check on batteries unless a load
    is applied and tend to indicate only batteries that are completely
    discharged so I'll play with the camera for a bit and report back about
    which cell went down first.

    Rob
    Canopus, Jan 22, 2004
    #15
  16. Tux

    Vitali Guest

    Hello Steve,
    I've measured resistance and current.
    See the page:
    http://personal.inet.fi/surf/vitasam/Fuji_bug/s602bug.html

    It seems that only few amount of s602 have this kind
    of "body" bug.

    Br
    -Vitali

    S Smith wrote:

    > This is news to me as I have never experienced any problem with my
    > camera. I've never left the camera on for any length of time after
    > using it, but as long as it's turned off it can sit in its case for a
    > month or more with no ill effects. Even after sitting for weeks,
    > which is problably the most it ever has been idle, I would expect to
    > be able to snap off at least a dozen shots before it shuts itself
    > down.
    > Then I recharge the cells and am ready for another hours shooting
    > followed by a month in the case and can still shoot a dozen more
    > again.
    >
    > I am curious as to the cell compartment in which this has been
    > experienced. Can you specify? For reference, when I open mine I have
    > the camera upside down with the lens pointing towards me. This leaves
    > the battery on the right and the door opening up and away from me.
    >
    > I imagine if this is happening in the same compartment in all
    > instances, and will bet it is one in the front or back where the
    > positive terminal is inserted down (towards the top of the camera).
    > There would be one cell which is the primary positive contact in the 4
    > cell battery. This cell would be the one being drawn from first, with
    > the other 3 cells behind it in series, and I am guessing anything
    > happening to the battery would affect this cell, then once drained the
    > other 3 would be isolated in an open circuit... thus losing time and
    > settings. Just a guess though..
    >
    >
    > steve
    Vitali, Jan 22, 2004
    #16
  17. Tux

    Vitali Guest

    Hi!
    Check out my result, this is the reason
    in my case:

    http://personal.inet.fi/surf/vitasam/Fuji_bug/s602bug.html

    Br
    -Vitali

    Canopus wrote:

    >
    > "S Smith" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > <snip>
    >>
    >> I am curious as to the cell compartment in which this has been
    >> experienced. Can you specify? For reference, when I open mine I have
    >> the camera upside down with the lens pointing towards me. This leaves
    >> the battery on the right and the door opening up and away from me.
    >>

    > <snip>
    > ..
    >>
    >>
    >> steve

    >
    > Typical, I haven't used my camera for a couple of weeks, just turned it on
    > and OK. Just checked the batteries with a meter and again all show good
    > charge to same level, yet, I'm not imagining what's happening. However,
    > battery test meters are not the best way to check on batteries unless a
    > load is applied and tend to indicate only batteries that are completely
    > discharged so I'll play with the camera for a bit and report back about
    > which cell went down first.
    >
    > Rob
    Vitali, Jan 22, 2004
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Kevin A. Freitas

    FinePix S602Z astrophotograph...

    Kevin A. Freitas, Jul 26, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    343
    Kevin A. Freitas
    Jul 26, 2003
  2. JAr

    Fuji Finepix S602Z Service Manual

    JAr, Nov 15, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    4,424
    someone
    Nov 17, 2003
  3. Kevin

    Fuji FinePix S602Z vs Fujifilm FinePix S7000

    Kevin, Nov 18, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    4,684
    Kevin
    Dec 21, 2003
  4. Marylis

    finepix s602Z and compact flash?

    Marylis, Jan 26, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    742
    Andre Lamothe
    Jan 27, 2004
  5. F

    Panasonic FZ30 v Fuji Finepix S602Z

    F, Apr 19, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    432
Loading...

Share This Page