    does tend to be techno-challenged.

    Tips?

    LRH
    Larry R Harrison Jr, Jul 22, 2004

  2. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:

    > I won this camera & dock on eBay. It's for a friend for Christmas 5 months
    > from now. Their needs are very simple; a 2.2 megapixel like this one is
    > plenty enough, and the simplicity of one-touch download/recharge/clearing of
    > the Compact Flash with the dock would be huge for this person who is
    > techno-challenged.
    >
    > I don't think the dock includes the NimH batteries, and I'm wondering if it
    > would not support other batteries with different milliamps (mAh) than the
    > original Kodak batteries had. Nothing on the Kodak website states such mAH
    > matters in terms of what its charger can handle or what its original
    > batteries were rated at.
    >
    > Yeah I know it would be easy-enough to buy another battery & charger outfit,
    > but I am trying to stay in the scheme of the dock as (again) this person
    > does tend to be techno-challenged.
    >
    > Tips?
    >
    > LRH

    The dock is, indeed, a convenient way for those not really computer
    techies to manage loading their photos into the computer.

    If you want to use the dock to charge the NIMH batteries, you MUST buy
    the Kodak NIMH battery pack. It will NOT charge other types of NIMH
    batteries. You can order the battery pack from Kodak, online.
    Ron Hunter, Jul 22, 2004

  3. I guess you mean this:

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384073651&skuId=4375848&type=product

    Or this:

    http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuer...DID=P147&locsvcsEntryPath=295&pq-locale=en_US

    LRH

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Jul 22, 2004
  4. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Matt Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:23:31 -0700, "Larry R Harrison Jr"
    <> wrote:

    >I won this camera & dock on eBay. It's for a friend for Christmas 5 months
    >from now. Their needs are very simple; a 2.2 megapixel like this one is
    >plenty enough, and the simplicity of one-touch download/recharge/clearing of
    >the Compact Flash with the dock would be huge for this person who is
    >techno-challenged.
    >
    >I don't think the dock includes the NimH batteries, and I'm wondering if it

    It looks like the Dock, or a Camera/Dock set - IS supplied with an
    Easyshare pack.

    >would not support other batteries with different milliamps (mAh) than the
    >original Kodak batteries had. Nothing on the Kodak website states such mAH
    >matters in terms of what its charger can handle or what its original
    >batteries were rated at.
    >
    >Yeah I know it would be easy-enough to buy another battery & charger outfit,
    >but I am trying to stay in the scheme of the dock as (again) this person
    >does tend to be techno-challenged.

    The weakness of the dock, is if you use more than one Easyshare pack,
    you have to return the completely flat one to the camera, and you
    cannot be charging one while using the camera.

    You can buy an Easyshare charger - horribly overpriced for a rejigged
    2 cell AA charger.

    Anf the extra packs are a horrendously expensive piece of plastic
    around a pair of failrly average AA NiMH cells - all the price of a
    proprietary pack, but none of the advantages of anything better than
    AA cells.

    If they are non-techy, they might just as well get used to handling AA
    cel sets and a crger, if they are likely to need more than one pack -
    I have a spare pack for a mobile phone, and no standalone charger, and
    it's a pain - about the least irritation sequence, for two packs, is
    to charge the one that's in, replace it with the one that's out (in
    flat or indeterminate condition, charge and leave in)

    The other issue with the Kodak pack, is it has a tendency to get
    sleepy / lazy if not worked hard enough - NiMH do need a degree of
    workload, to maintain peak performance, but the Kodak pack tends to be
    worse than most.

    I'm thinking of the inititial, repeat dock and charge until 2 hours
    total, that was common on the DX3700, and may need to be repeated if
    the battery is allowed to get sleepy.
    --
    I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
    http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

    If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!
    Matt, Jul 22, 2004
  5. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings Larry,

    I am sure your friend will be very pleased with your choice. Great camera!
    I had one for a couple years.

    The batteries used in the EasyShare System are constructed in such a way
    that when inserted into an EasyShare Camera like the DX3600 the battery
    charges in the dock. There is a switch inside the camera that is turned on
    when the battery is inserted. It only works with the KAA2HR batteries
    supplied for the system. There is currently a range of them that runs from
    1450, 1600, 1850, and hopefully at 2100 but not yet. These higher the
    number the longer the battery will hold a charge.

    It is important to remember, however, that because batteries are chemical
    products involving internal chemical reactions, their performance may
    deteriorate with prolonged storage. NiMH rechargeable batteries, if not
    used for a while, may need to be reconditioned as you would when using them
    for the first time. Otherwise, deactivation of the internal reactants may
    cause decreased capacity, which causes premature termination of charging.
    In other words, the batteries will not charge completely, even though the
    dock indicates they have.

    If this happens, we have a couple of recommendations. First, make sure you
    have the latest firmware. If you don't, consider updating your camera to
    the latest version. You can locate the update by going to:

    http://www.kodak.com/go/software

    Once there, choose your camera from the list. The next page will offer all
    the available software for your model, including any current firmware
    updates, if available. The firmware download will have a "Read-me" file
    that contains the directions for performing the update.

    Once you have successfully completed the update, we recommend conditioning
    your battery the way you would if it were being used for the first time, as
    we mentioned above. It is important that you be sure you always have a
    fully charged battery. To do so, place the camera on the KODAK EASYSHARE
    Camera Dock. When the charge light turns green (all three green lights are
    lit for the KODAK EASYSHARE Dock II), remove the camera from the dock FOR A
    MINIMUM OF 5 MINUTES, then place it back on the dock. The 5 minutes the
    camera is off the dock are the key to correct recharging for a new or
    uncharged battery. Repeat this same process until the combined charging
    time, while the light is red on the dock, EQUALS A MINIMUM OF 2 HOURS.

    Once you have completed this charging process, we recommend that you leave
    the camera on its dock and intermittently check it for power (remove from
    the dock for a while then replace it). If you use your camera frequently,
    of course, you will always have a charged battery because you will be
    removing and replacing it. If you do not use your camera frequently,
    periodically remove the camera from the dock and take a few test shots.
    Doing this assures a properly maintained battery so that you will have lots
    of power.

    Do not make the mistake of trying to charge the KODAK PHOTOLIFE Lithium
    Battery, CRV3, that comes with the camera. It is not rechargeable, and an
    attempt to do so could result in leakage. Also, please be aware that the
    camera will only charge the KODAK KAA2HR NiMh Battery. Non-Kodak batteries
    or individual AA rechargeable batteries (including Kodak batteries) are not
    compatible with this charger. If you need a separate charger, you should be
    able to find one at the following online site:

    http://digitalimagingstore.rite2u.com/aghtm/digital.asp

    Remember, if you are using a KODAK EASYSHARE Dock I, your camera's dock is
    only charging when it displays the red light. If the light is green, that
    means it is either done charging or has detected another type of battery it
    cannot charge.

    If you are using KODAK EASYSHARE Dock II, you will see a sequence of lights
    as the charging takes place. It ends with the third light being on (green).

    PLEASE ALSO NOTE! Your camera's batteries lose power during image reviews
    and when adjusting camera settings. Use of the LCD screen is a big power
    drain.

    Hope this helps you out, Larry, let me know if there are questions or other
    needs. I am here for you.

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Jul 23, 2004
  6. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Matt Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:45:30 -0400, "Ron Baird" <>
    wrote:

    >Greetings Larry,
    >
    >I am sure your friend will be very pleased with your choice. Great camera!
    >I had one for a couple years.
    >
    >The batteries used in the EasyShare System are constructed in such a way
    >that when inserted into an EasyShare Camera like the DX3600 the battery
    >charges in the dock. There is a switch inside the camera that is turned on
    >when the battery is inserted. It only works with the KAA2HR batteries

    Interesting - on feeding KAA2HR into a search engine - there are now
    MANY clones.
    http://www.batterysavings.com/site/...B-9576/1/a.aspx?source=NexTag&GCID=C10204x021
    One from "Hi-capacity"
    The Lenmar DMKA2 also seems to be a widely stocked replacement.
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/user_sales_getprod.php?masterid=2590476&lot_id=588790

    So the Easyshare pack (NiMH) has been cloned, just like most other
    packs, Ink cartridges etc.

    http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=295&pq-locale=en_US
    $14.95 fot the genuine Kodak, - either the cloners are mot doing many
    favours (a bit under $10 seems to be the chapest of those that are
    actually available), or Kodak have already responded - searches found
    clones at HIGHER prices than this official Kodak.

    >supplied for the system. There is currently a range of them that runs from
    >1450, 1600, 1850, and hopefully at 2100 but not yet. These higher the
    >number the longer the battery will hold a charge.

    Not seen anything other than an official 1600, though some of the
    cloners seem to favour 1800.

    Capacity is not the only factor though, as some higher capacity cells
    don't handle the high load too well.

    I'd say most 2xAA cameras actually push the batteries too hard, and
    particularly the small and not very good spring contacts - the AA
    format was never designed for currents that must be over an amp.

    >If this happens, we have a couple of recommendations. First, make sure you
    >have the latest firmware. If you don't, consider updating your camera to
    >the latest version. You can locate the update by going to:
    >
    >http://www.kodak.com/go/software
    >
    >Once there, choose your camera from the list. The next page will offer all
    >the available software for your model, including any current firmware
    >updates, if available. The firmware download will have a "Read-me" file
    >that contains the directions for performing the update.
    >
    >Once you have successfully completed the update, we recommend conditioning
    >your battery the way you would if it were being used for the first time, as
    >we mentioned above. It is important that you be sure you always have a
    >fully charged battery. To do so, place the camera on the KODAK EASYSHARE
    >Camera Dock. When the charge light turns green (all three green lights are
    >lit for the KODAK EASYSHARE Dock II), remove the camera from the dock FOR A
    >MINIMUM OF 5 MINUTES, then place it back on the dock. The 5 minutes the
    >camera is off the dock are the key to correct recharging for a new or
    >uncharged battery. Repeat this same process until the combined charging
    >time, while the light is red on the dock, EQUALS A MINIMUM OF 2 HOURS.
    >
    >Do not make the mistake of trying to charge the KODAK PHOTOLIFE Lithium
    >Battery, CRV3, that comes with the camera. It is not rechargeable, and an
    >attempt to do so could result in leakage. Also, please be aware that the

    The Camera/Dock will NOT attempt to charge it, unless you have
    tampered with the tripswitch in the camera that is operated by the
    plastic frame of the battery pack - that is the point of the system
    that also stops you charging loose NiMH cells in the camera.

    My old Casio calculator had a similar system, and when the battery
    pack no longer held a worthwhile charge, I remade it myself.

    >camera will only charge the KODAK KAA2HR NiMh Battery. Non-Kodak batteries
    >or individual AA rechargeable batteries (including Kodak batteries) are not
    >compatible with this charger. If you need a separate charger, you should be
    >able to find one at the following online site:
    >
    >http://digitalimagingstore.rite2u.com/aghtm/digital.asp
    >
    >Remember, if you are using a KODAK EASYSHARE Dock I, your camera's dock is
    >only charging when it displays the red light. If the light is green, that
    >means it is either done charging or has detected another type of battery it
    >cannot charge.

    The "standard" dock for this model - it also does not charge while in
    transfer mode - if impatient for the auto-timeout, when transfer is
    complete, reach over and hold the power button for 5 seconds -
    cancelling transfer mode and returning to charge mode - it may not be
    official procedure, but it works

    >If you are using KODAK EASYSHARE Dock II, you will see a sequence of lights
    >as the charging takes place. It ends with the third light being on (green).
    >
    >PLEASE ALSO NOTE! Your camera's batteries lose power during image reviews
    >and when adjusting camera settings. Use of the LCD screen is a big power
    >drain.

    LCD on while shooting is the highest drain, unfortunately, many
    adjustments cannot be performed without the LCD.

    If you are stretching battery life, be sure to turn off the feature
    for reviewing the picture, and use the optical viewfinder, rather than
    the LCD - if you push it until you lose battery power, you can corrupt
    the memory card!

    NB. 64Mb MMC cards tend to be around at clearance prices, so if it has
    no card or a smaller one, add a 64Mb - and from my experience, you'll
    be lucky to shoot-up a full 64Mb card on one set of batteries.

    Matt, Jul 24, 2004