    the battery life is still short. Is it because of the brand? Should I
    switch to a better known brand like energizer or duracell? Do brand
    name batteries even matter? Thanks so much!
    Jen, Dec 8, 2004

  2. > Hi. I recently bought a Vivitar 4 MP Vivicam 3815 Digital Camera. I've
    > used alkeline and found that I had to replace the batteries every
    > couple of days. So I switched to a rechargeable generic brand NiMh, but
    > the battery life is still short. Is it because of the brand? Should I
    > switch to a better known brand like energizer or duracell? Do brand
    > name batteries even matter? Thanks so much!

    What's the capacity of the NiMH batteries you're using? Obviously,
    higher-capacity batteries will last longer than those with lower capacity.
    These days, high-capacity NiMH batteries are so inexpensive that there's
    really no excuse for not getting them; I've heard that even WalMart is
    selling 2500mah Eveready 4 packs for just over $10.

    As for quality differences between brands, there's not much reason to skimp
    there either. As mentioned the Evereadys aren't very expensive, and other
    high-quality brands would include Maha, Sanyo & Kodak.

    But it's possible an even bigger difference might be found in chargers than
    the batteries themselves. At the high end, the Maha chargers are great, but
    other name-brand units are probably fine.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
    Mike Jacoubowsky, Dec 8, 2004

  3. Jen

    Chris D Guest

    On 7 Dec 2004 20:12:15 -0800
    "Jen" <> wrote:

    > Hi. I recently bought a Vivitar 4 MP Vivicam 3815 Digital
    > Camera. I've used alkeline and found that I had to replace the
    > batteries every couple of days. So I switched to a
    > rechargeable generic brand NiMh, but the battery life is still
    > short. Is it because of the brand? Should I switch to a better
    > known brand like energizer or duracell? Do brand name
    > batteries even matter? Thanks so much!

    Another thing to remember is that NiMHs take a few cycles to
    reach full capacity. The 2200mAh ones I've got in my camera
    have had 4 or 5 cycles now, and are showing noticably longer
    life than when they were new.

    -Chris D
    Chris D, Dec 8, 2004
  4. One possibility is that your camera is not completely shutting off when you
    turn it off. All cameras draw a *tiny* amount of electricity from the
    batteries when turned off, to keep the clock/calendar running and to retain
    settings. Yours may have an electrical leak (in a semiconductor) that is
    making it draw more than it's supposed to. If you can verify that it drains
    batteries while turned off, you should return it under warranty. If you
    have a milliammeter, you can probably even test it.
    Michael A. Covington, Dec 8, 2004
  5. Jen

    Cliff Smith Guest

    On 7 Dec 2004 20:12:15 -0800, "Jen" <> wrote:

    >Hi. I recently bought a Vivitar 4 MP Vivicam 3815 Digital Camera. I've
    >used alkeline and found that I had to replace the batteries every
    >couple of days. So I switched to a rechargeable generic brand NiMh, but
    >the battery life is still short. Is it because of the brand? Should I
    >switch to a better known brand like energizer or duracell? Do brand
    >name batteries even matter? Thanks so much!

    The Vivtar is known to be a very power-hungry camera, so your only
    real solution is to buy several sets of NiNH batteries and always
    carry spares. If you want a non-rechargeable solution, Energizer
    Lithium Technology batteries should give you about 5x the life of
    alkalines.

    Cliff Smith
    www.cliffsmith.co.uk
    Cliff Smith, Dec 8, 2004
  6. Jen

    Guest

    If you constantly use the LCD screen you will run the batteries down a
    lot faster then if you compose and shoot your pictures throught the
    view finder.

    Art
    , Dec 8, 2004
  7. Jen

    Jeremy Guest

    "Jen" <> wrote in message

    >Should I
    > switch to a better known brand like energizer or duracell? Do brand
    > name batteries even matter? Thanks so much!

    1: Buy high capacity NiMH batteries. Not all rechargeable batteries hold
    the same amount of current.

    2: Learn to switch off the LCD screen except when you actually need to view
    it. The LCD screen drains batteries fast when it is left on.

    3: Learn to switch the camera off if you don't anticipate shooting again
    within the next couple of minutes. This is a bit of a balancing act,
    because often the power-down function retracts the lens and that, too can
    consume power if done too often.

    4: If you do not require auto flash mode, set the flash to always off. You
    can activate it when you actually need it. That will save wasting battery
    power charging the flash when it is unnecessary.

    5: Always carry a spare set of fully charged batteries. I bought a
    Samsonite case at Wal-Mart that nicely holds my camera, plus has a pocket in
    front for spare batteries and memory cards. Spare batteries are the one
    essential accessory to always have on hand.
    Jeremy, Dec 8, 2004
  8. Jeremy" Said:
    1: Buy high capacity NiMH batteries. Not all rechargeable batteries
    hold the same amount of current.

    What he means by this is that AA size batteries while they may all be the
    same physical size, can last longer or shorter depending on the current
    rating.

    Most Alkaline are the same current rating but NiMh can come in many
    different current capacities. I have seen them as low as 800ma and as high
    as 2300ma. Higher is better. In other words if you put some 2300ma batteries
    in your camera they will last approx 3 times longer than the 800ma ones +/-
    So take his advice and find some of the high current rated ones.

    azscrewdriver, Dec 8, 2004
  9. Jen

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <41b73944$>,
    "azscrewdriver" <> wrote:

    > and as high
    > as 2300ma

    Ansmann has 2400 and 2500 mAh cells now.

    --
    To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
    Bob Salomon, Dec 8, 2004
  10. I'm starting to wonder just how many of those higher current rated ones are
    just marked higher?

    I bought some 1200maH and 600mah Lithium batteries for my Canon S100 off
    Ebay (new China)) to replace the 600mah original ones and neither seemed to
    last as long than the original ones.

    azscrewdriver, Dec 8, 2004