Batman: The Animated Series, Vol. 1!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Jordan Lund, Jul 7, 2004.

  1. Jordan Lund

    Jordan Lund Guest

    Finally this came out... after those piecemeal discs with repeated
    episodes it's so nice that Warner came to their senses and put out a
    hefty chunk of season 1 in one box.

    Just to piss off the BTJ I'm posting the Amazon link here:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_1/103-4013961-0091011?v=glance&s=dvd

    So what do you get? 4 DVDs, some "making of" featurettes, 28 of the
    first seasons 60 or so episodes and tons and tons of Batman goodness.
    Why, it's enough to make you forget that Joel Shumacher ever put
    nipples on the suits....

    This set appeals to me on a couple of different levels... First off
    it's a complete tribute to the fantastic animated Superman shorts done
    by Max and Dave Fleischer in the 1940s. The creators own up to this
    influence in the documentaries (yeah, like it's not 100% obvious, from
    the style to the title cards.)

    Second, it's Batman done the way he should be done. People forget that
    Batman was a detective first and foremost. This is something that's
    pretty much absent from the film series. It's nifty watching him
    collect and figure out the clues (an animated, super-heroic CSI?
    Hmmm....)

    I have a minor beef with the quality of the film in some parts of some
    episodes, but I guess a 10 year old cartoon series doesn't merit the
    cost of a full digital cleanup (even if it is Batman.) The surround
    sound is often used to good effect.

    It would also have been nice to have the full first season instead of
    less than 1/2 of it, but considering what they did do was still $40 I
    can't complain too much. I would have passed on it had it been in the
    $100 to $120 range.

    All in all, if you're a Batman fan and like to see well done stories
    this set is for you!

    - Jordan
    Jordan Lund, Jul 7, 2004

  2. Jordan Lund

    jayembee Guest

    says...

    > Finally this came out... after those piecemeal discs with repeated
    > episodes it's so nice that Warner came to their senses and put out a
    > hefty chunk of season 1 in one box.

    What "repeated episodes"?

    > It would also have been nice to have the full first season instead of
    > less than 1/2 of it [...]

    It's pretty clear that they've done this to balance out the run of
    episodes. In addition to the fact that there seems to be differences
    among fans about where each "season" begins and ends, it's also
    complicated by the title changes of the show. Altogether, there are
    109 episodes, and Warner is probably going to break them down into
    four sets (and hopefully, there will be a fifth set with the four
    feature-length programs).

    Also, they likely want to make the set about the same size as the HB
    animation collections they've released, all of which run between 25
    and 30 episodes.

    What *I* hope, though, is that given that many (or most) episodes
    have appeared under the various retitlings of the show, that each
    episode has the opening and closing credits for whichever title it
    first appeared under. But that's just my anal retentiveness talking.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jul 7, 2004

  3. Jordan Lund

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Jordan
    Lund <> wrote:

    > It would also have been nice to have the full first season instead of
    > less than 1/2 of it, but considering what they did do was still $40 I
    > can't complain too much. I would have passed on it had it been in the
    > $100 to $120 range.

    Well, you have to remember there isn't really a first season. They did
    a 65 or so episode batch in one shot, but it was shown in waves. They
    aired what was finished, then went into repeats, then aired new
    episode, etc. Probably took more then a year for all of them to get on
    the air.

    > All in all, if you're a Batman fan and like to see well done stories
    > this set is for you!

    Looking forward to the rest, and the later series...

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Jul 7, 2004
  4. Go to tvtome.com to get the whole episode list.

    SpiderManHouston, Jul 7, 2004
  5. Jordan Lund

    TSKO Guest

    "SpiderManHouston" <> wrote in message
    > Go to tvtome.com to get the whole episode list.
    >
    > >n article <>, Jordan
    > >Lund <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> It would also have been nice to have the full first season instead of
    > >> less than 1/2 of it, but considering what they did do was still $40 I
    > >> can't complain too much. I would have passed on it had it been in the
    > >> $100 to $120 range.
    > >>

    > >Well, you have to remember there isn't really a first season. They did
    > >a 65 or so episode batch in one shot, but it was shown in waves. They
    > >aired what was finished, then went into repeats, then aired new
    > >episode, etc. Probably took more then a year for all of them to get on
    > >the air.
    > >
    > >> All in all, if you're a Batman fan and like to see well done stories
    > >> this set is for you!
    > >>

    > >Looking forward to the rest, and the later series...
    > >
    > >--
    > >Chris Mack "Refugee, total shit. That's how I've always seen us.
    > >'Invid Fan' Not a help, you'll admit, to agreement between us."
    > > -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Is there a webpage out there that list all the episodes of Batman (or
    whatever name it goes by)?
    TSKO, Jul 8, 2004
  6. Jordan Lund

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, jayembee
    <> wrote:

    > What *I* hope, though, is that given that many (or most) episodes
    > have appeared under the various retitlings of the show, that each
    > episode has the opening and closing credits for whichever title it
    > first appeared under. But that's just my anal retentiveness talking.

    As they seem to be going in order, that's how I'd assume they do it.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Jul 8, 2004
  7. Jordan Lund

    jayembee Guest

    says...
    > jayembee <> wrote:
    >
    >> What *I* hope, though, is that given that many (or most) episodes
    >> have appeared under the various retitlings of the show, that each
    >> episode has the opening and closing credits for whichever title it
    >> first appeared under. But that's just my anal retentiveness talking.
    >>

    > As they seem to be going in order, that's how I'd assume they do it.

    Except that they're going in production order. Which means that episodes
    that first aired under the title THE ADVENTURES OF BATMAN & ROBIN will
    be intermixed with ones that first aired under the title BATMAN: THE
    ANIMATED SERIES.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jul 8, 2004
  8. Jordan Lund

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Jordan Lund, says...
    > Finally this came out...

    Hey, thanks for posting. I missed this release. I'll have to go pick it
    up this weekend.
    Mark Spatny, Jul 8, 2004
  9. Jordan Lund

    Jordan Lund Guest

    jayembee <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > says...
    >
    > > Finally this came out... after those piecemeal discs with repeated
    > > episodes it's so nice that Warner came to their senses and put out a
    > > hefty chunk of season 1 in one box.

    > What "repeated episodes"?

    On the single discs that WB released previously "Christmas With the
    Joker" appeared twice.

    > What *I* hope, though, is that given that many (or most) episodes
    > have appeared under the various retitlings of the show, that each
    > episode has the opening and closing credits for whichever title it
    > first appeared under. But that's just my anal retentiveness talking.

    I was pleased to see that the episodes released so far did include the
    original opening with the WB logo turning into the police blimp and
    the full title cards. When they were released later a lot of the
    titles were missing and they had the bastardized WB logo with the
    carrot chewing Bugs.

    - Jordan
    Jordan Lund, Jul 8, 2004
  10. Jordan Lund

    jayembee Guest

    (Jordan Lund) wrote:

    > jayembee <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Finally this came out... after those piecemeal discs
    >>> with repeated episodes it's so nice that Warner came
    >>> to their senses and put out a hefty chunk of season 1
    >>> in one box.

    >> What "repeated episodes"?

    > On the single discs that WB released previously "Christmas
    > With the Joker" appeared twice.

    One repeat episode. You made it sound like there were more
    than just one. And, the reason for that one was because the
    second DVD that included it was a direct port of two VHS
    collections that had been released a number of years ago.
    I'm willing to cut them slack for that.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jul 8, 2004