Batman & Green Hornet TV On DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Bill, Jun 26, 2006.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    teem wrote:
    > What is the current situation on these shows?some sources say they're
    > out,others say they're not.I don't want a cheesey amatuer burn off
    > from some company that isnt legit.

    Am not sure about the Green Hornet, but the 1966 TV version of Batman is
    still on hold.
    Bill, Jun 26, 2006

  2. Bill

    teem Guest

    teem, Jun 26, 2006

  3. Bill

    jayembee Guest

    teem <> wrote:

    > What is the current situation on these shows?some sources say they're
    > out,others say they're not.I don't want a cheesey amatuer burn off
    > from some company that isnt legit.

    There's no legit DVD release of either series.

    BATMAN is in Legal Hell (Fox owns the rights to the show, while Warner
    owns the rights to the characters, and they aren't seeing eye to eye).
    Only the 1966 feature film is available on DVD.

    It's not clear what the hold-up is on THE GREEN HORNET. It could be
    another situation where Fox cannot do a DVD set without permission
    from the owners of the characters (the Estate of creator George
    Trendle).

    Brentwood, a Public Domain label, released a DVD of the first faux
    feature -- a fix-up of four episodes of the series edited together
    with additional fight scenes from other episodes slipped in. Two of
    these features were briefly released to theaters circa 1974 to cash
    in on the Kung Fu / Bruce Lee craze at the time. Brentwood said they
    were going to do the second one, but it was never released.

    Just as well...the transfer on the first one was atrocious. It was
    faded and muddy-yellow. And widescreen, which is the way the features
    were released, but they were unsurprisingly cropped top and bottom
    from the original fullscreen TV version.

    Both features were released (in fullscreen) on DVD in Japan, but
    went Out of Print quickly. If they were anything like the Japanese
    laserdiscs (which I have), they would've looked terrific.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jun 26, 2006
  4. Bill

    teem Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 07:33:08 GMT, jayembee
    <> wrote:

    >teem <> wrote:
    >
    >> What is the current situation on these shows?some sources say they're
    >> out,others say they're not.I don't want a cheesey amatuer burn off
    >> from some company that isnt legit.

    >There's no legit DVD release of either series.
    >
    >BATMAN is in Legal Hell (Fox owns the rights to the show, while Warner
    >owns the rights to the characters, and they aren't seeing eye to eye).
    >Only the 1966 feature film is available on DVD.
    >
    >It's not clear what the hold-up is on THE GREEN HORNET. It could be
    >another situation where Fox cannot do a DVD set without permission
    >from the owners of the characters (the Estate of creator George
    >Trendle).
    >
    >Brentwood, a Public Domain label, released a DVD of the first faux
    >feature -- a fix-up of four episodes of the series edited together
    >with additional fight scenes from other episodes slipped in. Two of
    >these features were briefly released to theaters circa 1974 to cash
    >in on the Kung Fu / Bruce Lee craze at the time. Brentwood said they
    >were going to do the second one, but it was never released.
    >
    >Just as well...the transfer on the first one was atrocious. It was
    >faded and muddy-yellow. And widescreen, which is the way the features
    >were released, but they were unsurprisingly cropped top and bottom
    >from the original fullscreen TV version.
    >
    >Both features were released (in fullscreen) on DVD in Japan, but
    >went Out of Print quickly. If they were anything like the Japanese
    >laserdiscs (which I have), they would've looked terrific.
    >
    >-- jayembee

    Thanks,this BatHell thing is the Cats'Ass!,2 studios own it?,come
    on!,no wonder they're doing lousy.i did see 1 sight that was elling
    the Hornet,but,it looked''shady'',like an ''overnight set up''
    websight,I was trusting my instints.another reason the hornet maybe
    held up is the amount of episodes ,it was only a season,so,it isn't
    much.
    teem, Jun 27, 2006
  5. Bill

    jayembee Guest

    teem <> wrote:

    > Thanks,this BatHell thing is the Cats'Ass!,2 studios own it?

    No. Two studios don't own it. Only Fox owns the show. Warner owns
    the *characters*. It's most likely a similar situation to music
    licensing. Fox's license for the characters most likely applied
    only to usual TV distribution: network and syndication broadcasts.
    In order to release it on DVD, they probably have to negotiate
    a new license for the characters, and Warner is either asking
    for an exhorbitant amount of money or setting conditions.

    > i did see 1 sight that was elling the Hornet,but,it looked
    > ''shady'',like an ''overnight set up'' websight,I was trusting
    > my instints.

    There are a lot of websites selling bootleg DVDs of TV shows. The
    best way to tell if they're legit is to look up the title on a
    legit etailer like Amazon or DVD Planet. If they don't list it,
    it's bound to be bootleg.

    > another reason the hornet maybe held up is the amount of
    > episodes ,it was only a season,so,it isn't much.

    No, that definitely would not be a reason. There are some series
    with as few as six episodes being released on DVD. One with 26
    episodes wouldn't be a problem.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jun 27, 2006
  6. Bill

    Jeff Rife Guest

    jayembee () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > > i did see 1 sight that was elling the Hornet,but,it looked
    > > ''shady'',like an ''overnight set up'' websight,I was trusting
    > > my instints.

    > There are a lot of websites selling bootleg DVDs of TV shows. The
    > best way to tell if they're legit is to look up the title on a
    > legit etailer like Amazon or DVD Planet. If they don't list it,
    > it's bound to be bootleg.

    On the other hand, just because they *do* list it doesn't mean it's not
    a bootleg. Amazon lists a lot of DVDs that have never been released, as
    well as out-of-print items. For region 1, http://www.dvdpricesearch.com/
    is fairly authoritative...if they don't list it, it has almost certainly
    never been released, and if they do, it almost certainly has, with OOP
    marked appropriately.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "He's an investment banker from Amsterdam.
    Jeff Rife, Jun 27, 2006
  7. Bill

    teem Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 17:01:24 GMT, Jeff Rife <> wrote:

    >jayembee () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >> > i did see 1 sight that was elling the Hornet,but,it looked
    >> > ''shady'',like an ''overnight set up'' websight,I was trusting
    >> > my instints.

    >> There are a lot of websites selling bootleg DVDs of TV shows. The
    >> best way to tell if they're legit is to look up the title on a
    >> legit etailer like Amazon or DVD Planet. If they don't list it,
    >> it's bound to be bootleg.

    >On the other hand, just because they *do* list it doesn't mean it's not
    >a bootleg. Amazon lists a lot of DVDs that have never been released, as
    >well as out-of-print items. For region 1, http://www.dvdpricesearch.com/
    >is fairly authoritative...if they don't list it, it has almost certainly
    >never been released, and if they do, it almost certainly has, with OOP
    >marked appropriately.

    I have 2 Hornet vhs tapes,one is that theatrical version that came
    out in '74,hmm it never made it over to ohio?.the other is KATO &
    green hornet,both sound & look crappy.Yuo would think peolpe would
    take some care in putting togeather any type of project,especially to
    the mass market.
    teem, Jun 28, 2006