Batch Windows Utility to Remove Exif Tags from Digital Photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Valerian Kadyshev, Feb 15, 2011.

  1. Hi fellows photographers!

    I'm here to tell you about my program.

    ExifCleaner is a batch Windows utility that lets you to selectively
    remove Exif tags from JPEG photos.

    You may want to delete Exif:
    * Before publishing photos on the Internet - if do not want to expose
    your personal information (coordinates from a build-in GPS receiver,
    data/time taken, etc).
    * When you have edited the photo, keep in mind that almost all image
    editors do not update an Exif thumbnail which is inside a JPEG file
    (even Adobe Photoshop does not do that!). So, it is good idea to remove
    the Exif thumbnail only in that case.
    * When you do photomontage and combine several pictures into one.
    * If you want to save some space of result files, and thus to save
    server bandwidth.
    * If you sell your works on photostocks, but your equipment is not
    recommended by editors - it's a good thought to delete/hide
    camera-related tags only.

    On the contrary, it's a bad idea to remove Exif in the following cases:
    * To violate someone's copyright and authors' rights.
    * If you want to share some technical details of a snap with your
    colleagues, or with curious site visitors, it is a good idea to leave
    Exif metadata intact.

    You can see some showcases at:

    In English @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7r9K06w6w8
    In German (the host tells about Exif in modern world, and highlights
    both the IrfanView and ExifCleaner programs) @
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxDDyNjDLs0

    Home Page: http://www.superutils.com/products/exifcleaner/
    Download: http://www.superutils.com/dloads/exifcleaner-setup.exe

    Your questions, suggestions, and comments on this are highly welcome.

    --
    Kind regards, Valerian Kadyshev
    Senior Developer

    Valerian Kadyshev, Feb 15, 2011

  2. Valerian Kadyshev

    ASCII Guest

    ASCII, Feb 15, 2011

  3. ASCII wrote:

    > Why would someone want to pay for software
    > to do what can be done with freeware?

    These tools do not allow to accurately (selectively) remove Exif. Also,
    they do not have the metadata previewing feature.

    Valerian Kadyshev, Feb 15, 2011