    Joel Guest

    I know what batch files are but have never created one. What are some easy
    ones to try for practice? How do you set them up?
    Joel, Oct 15, 2003

  2. Joel

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Joel said:

    > I know what batch files are but have never created one. What are some easy
    > ones to try for practice? How do you set them up?

    What do you want to do?
    Think of a little project and build something based on that.
    Brian H¹©, Oct 15, 2003

  3. Joel

    Joel Guest

    Where do I start? A few step by steps would help. Thanks.

    Joel, Oct 15, 2003
  4. Joel

    Mara Guest

    http://www.computerhope.com/batch.htm

    --
    <rw-rw-rw> I don't care if it can reproduce sound well enough for
    dolphins to talk to each other through it, if you can't grep it it's
    Mara, Oct 15, 2003
  5. Joel

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Joel said:

    > Where do I start? A few step by steps would help. Thanks.

    Knowing what you want to do is the very first step.
    You say you know what batch files are, but with the questions you pose, I feel
    you don't know as much as you think.
    There are a great many things that you can do with batch files.
    You can check a folder for content, and, if it's empty, delete it.
    Or you can recurse (step through) a certain number of levels of folders to reach
    a particular file and run it, or delete it, or compare it.
    You can create loops, call other batch files, create a menu on a DOS screen etc
    etc.
    What do you want to do?

    Brian H¹©, Oct 15, 2003
  6. Joel

    Joel Guest

    That's funny, I just found that very site with Google. Thanks Mara, and
    Brian. I knew they were supposed to run things automatically but couldn't
    think of an example to try.

    Joel, Oct 15, 2003
  7. Joel

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    wrote:

    >I know what batch files are but have never created one. What are some easy
    >ones to try for practice? How do you set them up?

    What OS? Anyway assuming Windows, run command for Win9x or cmd for
    NT/2000/XP.

    Then use edit to create a batch file, which after all is a text file.
    Here's a simple batch file:

    @echo off
    echo Press any key to clear the screen, or Ctrl+c to abort
    pause > nul
    cls

    Save as clear.bat and run it in the command window - type clear then
    press Enter.

    Batch files are a bit slow but can nevertheless be quite useful. I use
    them a lot. It's surprising what you can do with them.

    cheers
    jd
    Jimmy Dean, Oct 16, 2003
  8. Joel

    PaRaDoX

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2008
    Messages:

    hello all,

    i've tried making a few batch files with relative success, but one thing always had me. i've been trying to make one that looks through all my folders to check for empty, useless ones, and then delete them. but i also want to be able to make a few exceptions (like the few folders i need). any help?
    PaRaDoX, Aug 6, 2008