    Or some kind of small utility program? He is not good with windows
    explore and gets easily confused how to copy files manually. Any
    ideas?
    lbbss, Mar 23, 2010

  2. lbbss

    rf Guest

    "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My father is very computer illiterate, but he is righting a book.

    Will that book then be totally correct after he rights it?
    rf, Mar 23, 2010

  3. lbbss

    rf Guest

    "Grinder" <> wrote in message
    > On 3/22/2010 8:37 PM, lbbss wrote:

    >> He is not good with windows
    >> explore

    > What operating system is your Dad using?

    :)
    rf, Mar 23, 2010
  4. lbbss

    thanatoid Guest

    lbbss <> wrote in
    oups.com:

    > My father is very computer illiterate, but he is righting

    writing

    (Sigh.)

    > a book. He lost a few chapters of his book, due to hard
    > drive failure. I would like to find a way to have the
    > computer save a backup file on his second hard drive
    > automatically, just in case the first one gets fried. Is
    > there a simple batch file that could do that on boot up.

    I would suggest doing it before shutting down.

    > Or some kind of small utility program? He is not good
    > with windows explore and gets easily confused how to copy
    > files manually. Any ideas?

    I don't know what he uses, but you can write a book in WordPad
    or one of hundreds if npt thoudsands of mostly free notepad
    replacements. (I sure hope he isn't struggling with Word or
    something.)

    The better of those programs have automatic "save every X
    minutes" or "make backup copy" options. In most cases you can
    specify the location.

    If not, a bat file consisting of

    xcopy C:\book\*.txt F:\book_bkp\

    should do it. Change the drives, dirs and file ext's to what
    they should be and remember, 8.3 names only.

    You can put a shortcut on the desktop and have him run it once
    in a while as an additional precaution. You can slightly modify
    the file and have TWO backup locations anfd two shortcuts in
    case something goes wrong.

    A book fits on a floppy, BTW. Hard drives can fail ANYTIME.

    --
    The arrows are faster than rodents!
    - t.
    thanatoid, Mar 23, 2010
  5. lbbss

    Dan C Guest

    On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 18:37:29 -0700, lbbss wrote:

    > My father is very computer illiterate, but he is righting a book. He

    Like father, like son.

    > lost a few chapters of his book, due to hard drive failure. I would
    > like to find a way to have the computer save a backup file on his second
    > hard drive automatically, just in case the first one gets fried. Is
    > there a simple batch file that could do that on boot up. Or some kind of
    > small utility program? He is not good with windows explore and gets
    > easily confused how to copy files manually. Any ideas?

    Tell him to format his hard drive, and write the fucking book longhand on
    a legal pad.

    Then, you format your hard drive, and bugger off.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he scrambled his partition table.
    Dan C, Mar 23, 2010
  6. lbbss

    chuckcar Guest

    lbbss <> wrote in

    > My father is very computer illiterate, but he is righting a book. He
    > lost a few chapters of his book, due to hard drive failure. I would
    > like to find a way to have the computer save a backup file on his
    > second hard drive automatically, just in case the first one gets
    > fried. Is there a simple batch file that could do that on boot up.
    > Or some kind of small utility program? He is not good with windows
    > explore and gets easily confused how to copy files manually. Any
    > ideas?

    Have him back up his files to closed session recordable CD's. How do
    you know the second hard drive isn't going to be next? Separate the media
    and the data from the drive, that way if the drive fails you lose nothing.
    Hence writing CDs. You could use DVD's, but that would be overkill in
    storage.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 23, 2010
  7. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    Thanks for the relyp. He is using MS word 2003, but as far as I can
    tell it only has auto-recovery option. So when you close word,
    autosave file is deleted. He is using windows xp and and ms word,
    but in his native language (not English).
    I will try the batch file and use it to the secondary hd or will buy
    him a fash drive. tx
    lbbss, Mar 23, 2010
  8. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    thanks will try the batch file. And save it to a flash drive. P.S
    he is using ms word 2003 but not in english, with windows xp. and ms
    word does not make a backup only autorecovery file that gets deleted
    when you close the program. tx
    lbbss, Mar 23, 2010
  9. lbbss

    rf Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > lbbss <> wrote in
    >
    >> My father is very computer illiterate,

    > Have him back up his files to closed session recordable CD's.

    Incapable of reading a post from one end to the other without forgetting
    most of it.
    rf, Mar 23, 2010
  10. lbbss

    thanatoid Guest

    lbbss <> wrote in
    oups.com:

    > thanks will try the batch file. And save it to a flash
    > drive. P.S he is using ms word 2003 but not in english,
    > with windows xp. and ms word does not make a backup only
    > autorecovery file that gets deleted when you close the
    > program. tx

    You're welcome.

    If you'd seen some of my posts before, you'd know how much I
    hate MS Office. All office suites. Who needs them? Not your dad.
    Not me. Just people who have to wear suits to work.

    BTW - metapad is not only free, it in ***25*** languages.

    http://liquidninja.com/metapad/translations

    And metapad lite (not the full) IGNORES the insert/overwrite
    key, surely the biggest nightmare of writers world-over. No more
    lost words/sentences/paragraphs.

    It is insane to try to do creative work in something like Word.

    Writing should be done in TEXT, and then when it's done you can
    either self-publish using a program like InDesign or Quark
    Xpress or something, as a last resort Word or some other word
    processors, but WHY mess around with a gargantuan file in a
    buggy program?

    I know the chances of you/him taking this advice are probably
    zero, but I /highly/ recommend that he/you save his work as txt
    files, divide them up and work in Metapad.

    There is no spell checking, but you can always open a txt file
    in Word for the spell check.

    Anyway, spell checking doesn't matter until the book is
    finished. Nor does formatting of any kind. So why bother with
    Word?

    thanatoid, Mar 23, 2010
  11. lbbss

    sandy58 Guest

    On Mar 23, 2:37 am, lbbss <> wrote:
    > My father is very computer illiterate, but he is righting a book.   He
    > lost a few chapters of his book, due to hard drive failure.  I would
    > like to find a way to have the computer save a backup file on his
    > second hard drive automatically, just in case the first one gets
    > fried.   Is there a simple batch file that could do that on boot up.
    > Or some kind of small utility program?   He is not good with windows
    > explore and gets easily confused how to copy files manually.  Any
    > ideas?

    "My father is very computer illiterate "Righting" a book?
    Why? Is it wrong? I hope your Dad's spelling skills are much better
    than yours, chum.
    W-R-I-T-I-N-G!!!! :)
    sandy58, Mar 23, 2010