  1. Is there a way to select and download a large number of files from an ftp
    site, without having to download each one separately?

    dj tuchler

    Dennis J. Tuchler, Jul 13, 2004

  2. Dennis J. Tuchler

    Tom T Guest

    "Dennis J. Tuchler" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Is there a way to select and download a large number of files from an ftp
    > site, without having to download each one separately?
    >
    > dj tuchler

    Easiest (On Windows) is probably to use (sorry) Internet Explorer--put
    ftp://sitename.com in the URL window, and it presents a Windows
    Explorer type view of the files--you can graphically select a group of
    files and drag it over to the Windows Explorer window of a folder on
    your local computer.

    Or you could use command line ftp...
    in DOS (or Unix) window:

    ftp <ftpsite>.com
    cd <directory>
    ls
    (lists directory contents)
    cd <directory>
    ls
    (lists directory contents)
    (till you get to the right directory)
    prompt off

    then to get all the files in a directory:

    mget *
    or
    mget prefix*

    or you could prepare a list of files in an editor and paste in the
    window
    get file1
    get file2

    Tom T, Jul 14, 2004

  3. On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:46:19 -0700, Tom T wrote:

    > "Dennis J. Tuchler" <> wrote in message
    >> Is there a way to select and download a large number of files from an
    >> ftp site, without having to download each one separately?
    >>
    >> dj tuchler

    > Easiest (On Windows) is probably to use (sorry) Internet Explorer--put
    > ftp://sitename.com in the URL window, and it presents a Windows Explorer
    > type view of the files--you can graphically select a group of files and
    > drag it over to the Windows Explorer window of a folder on your local
    > computer.

    I do Linux

    > Or you could use command line ftp...
    > in DOS (or Unix) window:
    >
    > ftp <ftpsite>.com
    > cd <directory>
    > ls
    > (lists directory contents)
    > cd <directory>
    > ls
    > (lists directory contents)
    > (till you get to the right directory)
    > prompt off
    >
    > then to get all the files in a directory:
    >
    > mget *
    > or
    > mget prefix*
    >
    > or you could prepare a list of files in an editor and paste in the window
    > get file1
    > get file2

    So the answer is that there is no way to effect a batch transfer of files
    from an ftp site to one's own computer?

    dj tuchler

    Dennis J. Tuchler, Jul 15, 2004
  4. Dennis J. Tuchler

    Tony Raven Guest

    Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:

    > So the answer is that there is no way to effect a batch transfer of files
    > from an ftp site to one's own computer?

    I've found SmartFTP to work well and its free - http://www.smartftp.com/

    Tony

    Tony Raven, Jul 15, 2004
  5. On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:13:56 +0100, Tony Raven wrote:

    > Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    >>
    >> So the answer is that there is no way to effect a batch transfer of
    >> files from an ftp site to one's own computer?
    >>

    > I've found SmartFTP to work well and its free - http://www.smartftp.com/
    >
    > Tony

    Thanks. I went to the recommended site only to find out that the
    application works only under Windows. I use Linux (which I should have
    pointed out in my original message ... sorry).

    dj tuchler

    Dennis J. Tuchler, Jul 15, 2004