    Photoshop Elements. It works well, but it takes a long time to do photos
    individually that way. I'd sure love having a tool that does batch
    conversion. Thanks in advance.

    Jerry Perry, Apr 10, 2004

  2. Jerry Perry

    Dr Marti Guest

    yes - irfan view - www.irfanview.com
    is freeware, small and speed and have bach conversion / rename option

    Dr Marti, Apr 10, 2004

  3. Jerry Perry

    dslr Guest

    Jerry Perry wrote:

    > Can someone please suggest a freeware tool for batch converting JPEGS to
    > grayscale images? When I get requests for black & white images I've been
    > converting my files one at a time using the "Remove Color" command in
    > Photoshop Elements. It works well, but it takes a long time to do photos
    > individually that way. I'd sure love having a tool that does batch
    > conversion. Thanks in advance.

    www.irfanview.com will do that and much more, including resizing,
    cropping, rotating, etc., etc.

    --
    regards,
    dslr

    dslr, Apr 10, 2004
  4. Jerry Perry

    Jerry Perry Guest

    "Dr Marti" <> wrote in message
    > yes - irfan view - www.irfanview.com
    > is freeware, small and speed and have bach conversion / rename option

    Thank you!

    Jerry Perry, Apr 10, 2004
  5. Jerry Perry

    Don Guest

    Photoshop 7 has the capability of storing scripts to do batch processing of
    the type you want. It's a very powerful capability. You might check your
    version of Elements to see if it includes that, but I suspect it's one of
    the "frills" Adobe has stripped out of Elements.

    BTW, I've found that Irfanview has the distinction of being the only program
    I've found that has the capability to crash my P4 computer with WindowsXP.
    Nobody else seems to have this problem, but I've found I can't use Irfanview
    at all.

    Don

    Don, Apr 10, 2004
  6. Jerry Perry

    Paul H. Guest

    "Don" <> wrote in message
    > Photoshop 7 has the capability of storing scripts to do batch processing

    of
    > the type you want. It's a very powerful capability. You might check your
    > version of Elements to see if it includes that, but I suspect it's one of
    > the "frills" Adobe has stripped out of Elements.
    >
    > BTW, I've found that Irfanview has the distinction of being the only

    program
    > I've found that has the capability to crash my P4 computer with WindowsXP.
    > Nobody else seems to have this problem, but I've found I can't use

    Irfanview
    > at all.

    I personally know at least 20 people with P4's running XP Home and Pro--
    Dell's, Gateway's, homebuilt's, HP's, etc.-- all of whom use regularly use
    Irfanview without incident. I also know a couple of people who use Athlons
    with Irfanview. You have probably installed some other program which has
    changed one of your dll's, a problem which was a lot more common in past
    years.

    I'd give my system a real look-over, if I were you...

    Paul H., Apr 10, 2004
  7. Jerry Perry

    Jerry Perry Guest

    "Don" <> wrote "Irfanview has the distinction of being the
    only program I've found that has the capability to crash my P4 computer with
    WindowsXP."

    I've now tried Infanview on my XP machine with happy success. It's very
    convenient for doing the JPEG color to B&W conversion I was looking for.
    I'll be sending the author the $10 he asks for because I'm impressed with
    what he's giving away for free. I'll keep your warning about crashes in
    mind though.

    Jerry Perry, Apr 11, 2004
  9. Jerry Perry

    Guest

    Jerry Perry <> wrote:
    > Can someone please suggest a freeware tool for batch converting JPEGS to
    > grayscale images? When I get requests for black & white images I've been
    > converting my files one at a time using the "Remove Color" command in
    > Photoshop Elements. It works well, but it takes a long time to do photos
    > individually that way. I'd sure love having a tool that does batch
    > conversion. Thanks in advance.

    Imagemagick under Linux. You need not re-install your whole computer to use
    it, just download a "Live" distribution such as Knoppix.

    The search for truth is more precious than its possession.

    http://www.memeticcandiru.com

    , Apr 11, 2004
  10. Jerry Perry

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Sat, 10 Apr 2004 11:13:58 -0700,
    "Don" <> wrote:

    >BTW, I've found that Irfanview has the distinction of being the only program
    >I've found that has the capability to crash my P4 computer with WindowsXP.

    Then there is almost certainly something wrong with your system.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas, Apr 11, 2004
  11. Jerry Perry

    zbzbzb Guest

    >>BTW, I've found that Irfanview has the distinction of being the only program
    >>I've found that has the capability to crash my P4 computer with WindowsXP.

    >Then there is almost certainly something wrong with your system.

    Try maybe using an older version or when they do another update it try that.
    When I used it in the past it was always stable as it never crashed on me.

    zbzbzb, Apr 11, 2004
  12. Jerry Perry

    MartinD Guest

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 05:46:54 +0000, cuddles wrote:

    > Jerry Perry <> wrote:
    >> Can someone please suggest a freeware tool for batch converting JPEGS to
    >> grayscale images? When I get requests for black & white images I've been
    >> converting my files one at a time using the "Remove Color" command in
    >> Photoshop Elements. It works well, but it takes a long time to do photos
    >> individually that way. I'd sure love having a tool that does batch
    >> conversion. Thanks in advance.

    > Imagemagick under Linux. You need not re-install your whole computer to use
    > it, just download a "Live" distribution such as Knoppix.

    Although Imagemagick does work better with linux it works just fine with
    windows, what I do is set up a shortcut so the command will work on a
    folder then move the images to that folder then double click the shortcut
    then all the pictures in the folder will be processed, on linux I just
    hilight the files I want processed in my file manager and click the
    button I a set up for that function and they are all processed.

    The commands are "convert -colorspace gray *.jpg" or "mogrify -colorspace
    gray".

    Convert will create a new file and mogrify just change the existing file.

    For monochrome use -monochrome.

    Martin

    MartinD, Apr 11, 2004
  13. Jerry Perry

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on 11 Apr 2004 07:17:22
    GMT, bzbzb (zbzbzb) wrote:

    >>>BTW, I've found that Irfanview has the distinction of being the only program
    >>>I've found that has the capability to crash my P4 computer with WindowsXP.

    >>Then there is almost certainly something wrong with your system.

    >Try maybe using an older version or when they do another update it try that.
    >When I used it in the past it was always stable as it never crashed on me.

    Program crashing is one thing. Computer crashing is another thing entirely,
    particularly when running XP.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas, Apr 13, 2004
  14. Jerry Perry

    Guest

    MartinD <dollenkp~~@island.net> wrote:

    > Although Imagemagick does work better with linux it works just fine with
    > windows,

    Cool. I didn't even know it was available for windows.

    "Arabs tend to confess; it's part of their nature"

    - Moshe Etzioni, an Israeli high court justice,
    on Israel's use of Torture in interrogation

    http://www.memeticcandiru.com

    , Apr 17, 2004