Batch conversion of images.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Floobar, Jun 13, 2007.

  1. Floobar

    Floobar Guest

    I'd like to do things, such as generate downsampled images from
    existing images, with some amount of automation. Opening images one at
    a time, navigating some menu, typing the same number (e.g. 1024 for a
    1024x768 result), waiting, saving, etc. quickly gets tedious when
    there are 500 still to go.

    I expect there's some fairly simple, free and non-nefarious software
    out there that will do such things. The problem is finding it.

    First, there's Photoshop. I have a copy, and it does have some kind of
    automation capability, but it probably takes years to figure out how
    to actually use it, unfortunately. There's no straightforward way to
    tell it "just resize all these images, will ya?".

    Then there's the Google search I did on "automate image editing". Of
    course I got mostly spammy-looking hits -- lots of caps and
    exclamation marks and URLs in the form http://www.somecompany.com/
    indicating they were probably going to try to sell me something for
    $39.95 that I can probably get elsewhere for $0.00 -- and some query
    refinement later didn't lead to much better.

    I'm suspicious of the two or three free ones I was able to find. I
    suspect them variously of being crippled (particularly when there's a
    mention of a "free download" but also of a money amount, or payment
    processing options!) or being vehicles for spyware or other nastiness
    (particularly when there's a big banner trumpeting the cause of
    fighting against spyware -- obviously they have spyware on their mind
    there for some reason...).

    Is there a known and trusted name in this area, or anything that has
    broad community recognition as genuinely no-strings-attached free and
    of good quality?

    It should at minimum be able to cope with the three most common
    formats -- gif, jpg, and png, encoding at least the latter two -- and
    unless a jpg image is the source or the output not introduce any
    artifacting.
    Floobar, Jun 13, 2007

  2. Floobar wrote:

    > Is there a known and trusted name in this area, or anything that has
    > broad community recognition as genuinely no-strings-attached free and
    > of good quality?
    >
    > It should at minimum be able to cope with the three most common
    > formats -- gif, jpg, and png, encoding at least the latter two -- and
    > unless a jpg image is the source or the output not introduce any
    > artifacting.

    The free program Irfanview has a Batch Conversion facility and you can
    find Resize within Advanced Options.

    I use it, it works, and I think you'll find that it is generally thought
    of as a very good program. It's not a cut down version of something
    else and doesn't have spyware or other nasties.

    Steven Thompson
    Steven Thompson, Jun 13, 2007

  3. On Jun 13, 12:10 pm, Steven Thompson <> wrote:
    > Floobar wrote:
    >
    > > Is there a known and trusted name in this area, or anything that has
    > > broad community recognition as genuinely no-strings-attached free and
    > > of good quality?

    > > It should at minimum be able to cope with the three most common
    > > formats -- gif, jpg, and png, encoding at least the latter two -- and
    > > unless a jpg image is the source or the output not introduce any
    > > artifacting.

    > The free program Irfanview has a Batch Conversion facility and you can
    > find Resize within Advanced Options.
    >
    > I use it, it works, and I think you'll find that it is generally thought
    > of as a very good program. It's not a cut down version of something
    > else and doesn't have spyware or other nasties.
    >
    > Steven Thompson

    If you can live with m/soft software, and all you want to do is
    resize, they have something called Powertoys Image Resizer (search the
    ms website for the download). It is free, efficient (will do your 500
    in a couple of minutes, without you having to open any of them) and in
    several years I have not noticed any accompanying problems.

    cheers
    Steve
    bartshumandad, Jun 13, 2007
  4. Floobar wrote:
    > I'd like to do things, such as generate downsampled images from
    > existing images, with some amount of automation. Opening images one at
    > a time, navigating some menu, typing the same number (e.g. 1024 for a
    > 1024x768 result), waiting, saving, etc. quickly gets tedious when
    > there are 500 still to go.
    >
    > I expect there's some fairly simple, free and non-nefarious software
    > out there that will do such things. The problem is finding it.
    >
    > First, there's Photoshop. I have a copy, and it does have some kind of
    > automation capability, but it probably takes years to figure out how
    > to actually use it, unfortunately. There's no straightforward way to
    > tell it "just resize all these images, will ya?".
    >
    > Then there's the Google search I did on "automate image editing". Of
    > course I got mostly spammy-looking hits -- lots of caps and
    > exclamation marks and URLs in the form http://www.somecompany.com/
    > indicating they were probably going to try to sell me something for
    > $39.95 that I can probably get elsewhere for $0.00 -- and some query
    > refinement later didn't lead to much better.
    >
    > I'm suspicious of the two or three free ones I was able to find. I
    > suspect them variously of being crippled (particularly when there's a
    > mention of a "free download" but also of a money amount, or payment
    > processing options!) or being vehicles for spyware or other nastiness
    > (particularly when there's a big banner trumpeting the cause of
    > fighting against spyware -- obviously they have spyware on their mind
    > there for some reason...).
    >
    > Is there a known and trusted name in this area, or anything that has
    > broad community recognition as genuinely no-strings-attached free and
    > of good quality?
    >
    > It should at minimum be able to cope with the three most common
    > formats -- gif, jpg, and png, encoding at least the latter two -- and
    > unless a jpg image is the source or the output not introduce any
    > artifacting.

    If you are looking to resize images then I suggest installing
    Imageresizer which is free from Microsoft. It integrates right into the
    context menus and will do multiple files at one time. Here's a link:

    Michael Johnson, Jun 13, 2007
  5. Floobar

    pjp Guest

    Besides other peoples recommendation of the MS Image Resizer app there's
    also Paintshop Pro. I actually prefer it over Photoshop (I have both). It
    has a main menu 'Batch Concersion' option that's simple to use; e.g.
    standard Open dialog, select multipule files and it just does it.

    pjp, Jun 13, 2007
  6. Floobar

    Keith nuttle Guest

    Steven Thompson wrote:
    > Floobar wrote:
    >

    >> Is there a known and trusted name in this area, or anything that has
    >> broad community recognition as genuinely no-strings-attached free and
    >> of good quality?
    >>
    >> It should at minimum be able to cope with the three most common
    >> formats -- gif, jpg, and png, encoding at least the latter two -- and
    >> unless a jpg image is the source or the output not introduce any
    >> artifacting.
    >>

    > The free program Irfanview has a Batch Conversion facility and you can
    > find Resize within Advanced Options.
    >
    > I use it, it works, and I think you'll find that it is generally thought
    > of as a very good program. It's not a cut down version of something
    > else and doesn't have spyware or other nasties.
    >
    > Steven Thompson

    Don't let the free program put you off of Irfanview. It has batch
    resizing, batch croping, rotation, color adjustment, and several more.

    You can use it with your scanner to acquire images.

    You can do color correction and it auto corrects the color in faded images.

    One of the most useful things is the creation of multipage TIF images as
    used for FAXing.

    If you don't have a multipurpose imaging program that is free but
    equivalent to all but the high end software, try Irfanview.

    --
    Keith Nuttle
    3110 Marquette Court
    Keith nuttle, Jun 13, 2007
  7. Floobar

    Floobar Guest

    On Jun 12, 8:18 pm, Michael Johnson <> wrote:
    > If you are looking to resize images then I suggest installing
    > Imageresizer which is free from Microsoft. It integrates right into the
    > context menus and will do multiple files at one time. Here's a link:

    Thanks. It works. That will do for now. I'll also keep that Irfanview
    in mind for any automated image processing needs beyond resizing I
    might have in the future.
    Floobar, Jun 13, 2007
  8. Floobar

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 23:56:11 +0000, Floobar wrote:

    > I'd like to do things, such as generate downsampled images from
    > existing images, with some amount of automation. Opening images one at
    > a time, navigating some menu, typing the same number (e.g. 1024 for a
    > 1024x768 result), waiting, saving, etc. quickly gets tedious when
    > there are 500 still to go.
    >
    > I expect there's some fairly simple, free and non-nefarious software
    > out there that will do such things. The problem is finding it.
    >
    > First, there's Photoshop. I have a copy, and it does have some kind of
    > automation capability, but it probably takes years to figure out how
    > to actually use it, unfortunately. There's no straightforward way to
    > tell it "just resize all these images, will ya?".
    >
    > Then there's the Google search I did on "automate image editing". Of
    > course I got mostly spammy-looking hits -- lots of caps and
    > exclamation marks and URLs in the form http://www.somecompany.com/
    > indicating they were probably going to try to sell me something for
    > $39.95 that I can probably get elsewhere for $0.00 -- and some query
    > refinement later didn't lead to much better.
    >
    > I'm suspicious of the two or three free ones I was able to find. I
    > suspect them variously of being crippled (particularly when there's a
    > mention of a "free download" but also of a money amount, or payment
    > processing options!) or being vehicles for spyware or other nastiness
    > (particularly when there's a big banner trumpeting the cause of
    > fighting against spyware -- obviously they have spyware on their mind
    > there for some reason...).
    >
    > Is there a known and trusted name in this area, or anything that has
    > broad community recognition as genuinely no-strings-attached free and
    > of good quality?
    >
    > It should at minimum be able to cope with the three most common
    > formats -- gif, jpg, and png, encoding at least the latter two -- and
    > unless a jpg image is the source or the output not introduce any
    > artifacting.

    Imagemagick does that quite well - and it is free.
    ray, Jun 13, 2007
  9. Floobar

    JC Dill Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 00:10:04 GMT, Steven Thompson <>
    wrote:

    >The free program Irfanview has a Batch Conversion facility and you can
    >find Resize within Advanced Options.

    I also use and recommend Irfanview for this.

    jc

    ~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA
    JC Dill, Jun 13, 2007
  10. Floobar wrote:
    > On Jun 12, 8:18 pm, Michael Johnson <> wrote:
    >> If you are looking to resize images then I suggest installing
    >> Imageresizer which is free from Microsoft. It integrates right into the
    >> context menus and will do multiple files at one time. Here's a link:
    >>
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

    > Thanks. It works. That will do for now. I'll also keep that Irfanview
    > in mind for any automated image processing needs beyond resizing I
    > might have in the future.

    I found ImageResizer to do a great job resizing photos. Other programs
    work but using them is like using a sledge hammer to pound in a
    finishing nail.
    Michael Johnson, Jun 13, 2007