Batch B&W neg scanning: mscan?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dominic Richens, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    Around 1998 I had an HP PhotoSmart neg and slide scanner and on these
    newsgroups everyone complained about the dumb-down software that HP supplied
    with it. Some guy named "Matt" had written his own command-line utility
    that among other things, allow one to scan (with that scanner and others) a
    whole strip of film at time - so you could scan a whole roll of file in a
    matter of minutes.

    I googled back through these news groups and came up with the name "mscan",
    the only URL I could find for this software is dead now.

    Is this software available in another incarnation? I have an HP flatbed
    scanner with a pretty decent neg/slide accessory and I wanted to scan some
    of the 100-odd B&W roll I shot as a kid but only ever contact printed and
    printed one or two shots per roll.

    Is VueScan a good alternative? I installed the free version but I think I
    have to $$ to get the batch version.

    cheers!

    --
    Dominic Richens |
    "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

    Dominic Richens, Mar 4, 2004

  2. Dominic Richens wrote:

    > I googled back through these news groups and came up with the name "mscan",
    > the only URL I could find for this software is dead now.

    Have you tried the Web Archive, http://www.archive.org/? Chances are
    that the dead link is archived there, and you can still download the
    software.

    --

    Wilfred van der Vegte.
    Replace 'invalid' by my first name to reply by e-mail

    Wilfred van der Vegte, Mar 4, 2004

  3. Dominic Richens

    Bob Shomler Guest

    Dominic Richens wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Around 1998 I had an HP PhotoSmart neg and slide scanner and on these
    > newsgroups everyone complained about the dumb-down software that HP supplied
    > with it. Some guy named "Matt" had written his own command-line utility
    > that among other things, allow one to scan (with that scanner and others) a
    > whole strip of film at time - so you could scan a whole roll of file in a
    > matter of minutes.
    >
    > I googled back through these news groups and came up with the name "mscan",
    > the only URL I could find for this software is dead now.
    >
    > Is this software available in another incarnation? I have an HP flatbed
    > scanner with a pretty decent neg/slide accessory and I wanted to scan some
    > of the 100-odd B&W roll I shot as a kid but only ever contact printed and
    > printed one or two shots per roll.
    >
    > Is VueScan a good alternative? I installed the free version but I think I
    > have to $$ to get the batch version.
    >
    > cheers!

    Probably was Matthew Considine. His page is gone, but Lenik Terenin,
    who wrote PScan32 <http://gaijin-life.info/lenik/psmart.htm>, has
    reproduced Matt's materials and utilities (with his permission) at
    <http://gaijin-life.info/lenik/hppsprog.htm>.

    These were contemporaneous with early VueSmart (the original program
    that became Vuescan) to overcome HP SW limitations and better exploit
    the Photosmart HW; and they only support the original SCSI S10
    Photosmart scanner.

    Bob Shomler
    www.shomler.com

    Bob Shomler, Mar 4, 2004
  4. <Bob Shomler> wrote:
    > Probably was Matthew Considine. His page is gone, but Lenik Terenin,
    > who wrote PScan32 <http://gaijin-life.info/lenik/psmart.htm>, has
    > reproduced Matt's materials and utilities (with his permission) at
    > <http://gaijin-life.info/lenik/hppsprog.htm>.
    >
    > These were contemporaneous with early VueSmart (the original program
    > that became Vuescan) to overcome HP SW limitations and better exploit
    > the Photosmart HW; and they only support the original SCSI S10
    > Photosmart scanner.

    Thanks,

    Darn, my HP ScanJet 4470c is not supported by this or by Ed's VueScan!

    Dominic Richens, Mar 4, 2004