batch auto clean old photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JR, Jan 28, 2007.

  1. JR

    JR Guest

    I have a very lengthy process for doing video restoration of old video
    footage. I can get the video very clean, however am left with old
    original dirt and dust marks from the camera all over the place after
    the footage is cleaned up. Kind of natural since it's from the 60's,
    however if I can remove it all the better. So you may be asking, "Why
    is he writing this here?". Well, part of my restoration process is to
    convert each frame of video into a TIFF image and run software to
    clean up the pixelation in the video. So I have tens to hundreds of
    thousands of individual TIFF files. I'm guessing there is no magic
    bullet, however I am not going to clean the "dirt" out of that many
    images. There is also lines through the middle at points from a tear
    in the film. None of the software I found to correct this in it's
    video format have been successful so thought I would see if anyone
    knew of anything to attack this dirt in a picture and clean it up.
    Automated batch processing would be a necessity.

    Thanks.

    JR

    JR, Jan 28, 2007

  2. JR

    tomm42 Guest

    On Jan 28, 5:17 pm, "JR" <> wrote:
    > I have a very lengthy process for doing video restoration of old video
    > footage. I can get the video very clean, however am left with old
    > original dirt and dust marks from the camera all over the place after
    > the footage is cleaned up. Kind of natural since it's from the 60's,
    > however if I can remove it all the better. So you may be asking, "Why
    > is he writing this here?". Well, part of my restoration process is to
    > convert each frame of video into a TIFF image and run software to
    > clean up the pixelation in the video. So I have tens to hundreds of
    > thousands of individual TIFF files. I'm guessing there is no magic
    > bullet, however I am not going to clean the "dirt" out of that many
    > images. There is also lines through the middle at points from a tear
    > in the film. None of the software I found to correct this in it's
    > video format have been successful so thought I would see if anyone
    > knew of anything to attack this dirt in a picture and clean it up.
    > Automated batch processing would be a necessity.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > JR

    If you scan the images you can use Digital Ice, the latest hardly
    degrade the image at all while taking out the dust. Post imaging,
    there is the Polaroid Dust Filter. This does blur the image slightly,
    sharpening after helps a little.

    Good luck
    Tom

    tomm42, Jan 30, 2007

  3. JR

    jeremy Guest

    "tomm42" <> wrote in message

    > On Jan 28, 5:17 pm, "JR" <> wrote:
    >> I have a very lengthy process for doing video restoration of old video
    >> footage. I can get the video very clean, however am left with old
    >> original dirt and dust marks from the camera all over the place after
    >> the footage is cleaned up. Kind of natural since it's from the 60's,
    >> however if I can remove it all the better. So you may be asking, "Why
    >> is he writing this here?". Well, part of my restoration process is to
    >> convert each frame of video into a TIFF image and run software to
    >> clean up the pixelation in the video. So I have tens to hundreds of
    >> thousands of individual TIFF files. I'm guessing there is no magic
    >> bullet, however I am not going to clean the "dirt" out of that many
    >> images. There is also lines through the middle at points from a tear
    >> in the film. None of the software I found to correct this in it's
    >> video format have been successful so thought I would see if anyone
    >> knew of anything to attack this dirt in a picture and clean it up.
    >> Automated batch processing would be a necessity.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> JR

    > If you scan the images you can use Digital Ice, the latest hardly
    > degrade the image at all while taking out the dust. Post imaging,
    > there is the Polaroid Dust Filter. This does blur the image slightly,
    > sharpening after helps a little.
    >
    > Good luck
    > Tom

    Digital ICE on individual video frames? That would take a lifetime. And
    what kind of scanner does video?

    There are probably some high-end professional solutions, but not at the
    consumer price level. The OP should contact Ken Rockwell--he is in that
    business and probably knows what is available.

    jeremy, Jan 30, 2007
  4. On 28 Jan 2007 14:17:42 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "JR"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a very lengthy process for doing video restoration of old video
    >footage. I can get the video very clean, however am left with old
    >original dirt and dust marks from the camera all over the place after
    >the footage is cleaned up. Kind of natural since it's from the 60's,
    >however if I can remove it all the better. So you may be asking, "Why
    >is he writing this here?". Well, part of my restoration process is to
    >convert each frame of video into a TIFF image and run software to
    >clean up the pixelation in the video. So I have tens to hundreds of
    >thousands of individual TIFF files. I'm guessing there is no magic
    >bullet, however I am not going to clean the "dirt" out of that many
    >images. There is also lines through the middle at points from a tear
    >in the film. None of the software I found to correct this in it's
    >video format have been successful so thought I would see if anyone
    >knew of anything to attack this dirt in a picture and clean it up.
    >Automated batch processing would be a necessity.

    Have you tried any of the noise reduction programs on such? Neat Image,
    Noise Ninja, etc. I'm wondering if it might be possible to set the
    appropriate parameters to allow these tools to perform another task. Might
    be worth even asking the program support folks if this is possible.
    --
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Jan 31, 2007
  5. JR

    JR Guest

    I used Neat Image to parse through all the frames and it did a
    beautiful job of cleaning up the video. Now this "dirt" is what is
    left over. Not sure if it could process it a second time to resolve,
    but doubt it as I do not think that's it's purpose. In some cases
    it's a big blotch which I do not think tools like that will see as
    noise, which is what they are looking for.

    I am currently testing Film Fix, with limited success, however on a 23
    minute film with a high cleanup setting, it's going to take 116 hours
    on a 3GHz system.

    JR

    JR, Feb 3, 2007
  6. On 3 Feb 2007 12:49:49 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "JR" <>
    wrote:

    >I used Neat Image to parse through all the frames and it did a
    >beautiful job of cleaning up the video. Now this "dirt" is what is
    >left over. Not sure if it could process it a second time to resolve,
    >but doubt it as I do not think that's it's purpose. In some cases
    >it's a big blotch which I do not think tools like that will see as
    >noise, which is what they are looking for.

    I doubt you could train NI to recognize this.
    --
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Feb 4, 2007