Basic WiFi AP?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jul 13, 2009.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hey Kids,

    So I find myself with a couple ThinkPads and a PC at the far end of the
    house from my ethernet switch that I have a PCI WiFi card for. I know
    nothing about WiFi, other than when I tried to set up the built-in WiFi AP
    on my (oddly named) ASUS P5KE-WiFi/AP to share teh intarwebs with my HTPC
    the result was nothing but days of frustration.

    Basic security would be good (WEP?) but I'm sure that I don't need WPA2 if
    it makes things more complex as I live in a ghetto and in all the time I've
    been WiFi capable, just once, very briefly, my T60 told me there was another
    device in range. Turns out the neighbours over the back are between tenants
    and are self-renovating for a couple weeks. I figure one of them had their
    laptop with them.

    (Actually, I have the WiFi on the other TPs turned off in BIOS, [the T60 has
    a hardware switch to turn of 'all radios', WiFi and Bluetooth, that I use
    rather than BIOS] perhaps I should play around with trying to connectone TP
    to another? Or would that just confuse me further? As it is, although I've
    never had trouble setting up a [wired] file sharing network with XP before
    with multiple desktops, since I've had these TPs I can't seem to get it to
    work.)

    So... Any recommendations for a cheap'n'cheerful AP that I can plug into one
    of the ethernet ports of my Speedtouch modem / router? Frankly I'm getting
    sick of all the messages from my HTPC about the AV not being able reach the
    update server whenever I turn it on. Also, I've been a bit poorly the last
    few days and it would've been nice to have had the option to take my lappy
    into my room and read usenet / news sites. (I've been too sick to surf pr0n,
    <g>.)

    Help? Advice? Please? Oh, should mention I only have a/b/g capable devices
    so don't need (and most likely can't afford) n capability. I have the
    Speedtouch acting as a DHCP server so I assume that it would continue to do
    that through the AP?

    TYVM,
    --
    Shaun.

    "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll
    be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.
    ~misfit~, Jul 13, 2009

  2. ~misfit~

    victor Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Hey Kids,
    >
    > So I find myself with a couple ThinkPads and a PC at the far end of the
    > house from my ethernet switch that I have a PCI WiFi card for. I know
    > nothing about WiFi, other than when I tried to set up the built-in WiFi AP
    > on my (oddly named) ASUS P5KE-WiFi/AP to share teh intarwebs with my HTPC
    > the result was nothing but days of frustration.
    >
    > Basic security would be good (WEP?) but I'm sure that I don't need WPA2 if
    > it makes things more complex as I live in a ghetto and in all the time I've
    > been WiFi capable, just once, very briefly, my T60 told me there was another
    > device in range. Turns out the neighbours over the back are between tenants
    > and are self-renovating for a couple weeks. I figure one of them had their
    > laptop with them.
    >
    > (Actually, I have the WiFi on the other TPs turned off in BIOS, [the T60 has
    > a hardware switch to turn of 'all radios', WiFi and Bluetooth, that I use
    > rather than BIOS] perhaps I should play around with trying to connectone TP
    > to another? Or would that just confuse me further? As it is, although I've
    > never had trouble setting up a [wired] file sharing network with XP before
    > with multiple desktops, since I've had these TPs I can't seem to get it to
    > work.)
    >
    > So... Any recommendations for a cheap'n'cheerful AP that I can plug into one
    > of the ethernet ports of my Speedtouch modem / router? Frankly I'm getting
    > sick of all the messages from my HTPC about the AV not being able reach the
    > update server whenever I turn it on. Also, I've been a bit poorly the last
    > few days and it would've been nice to have had the option to take my lappy
    > into my room and read usenet / news sites. (I've been too sick to surf pr0n,
    > <g>.)
    >
    > Help? Advice? Please? Oh, should mention I only have a/b/g capable devices
    > so don't need (and most likely can't afford) n capability. I have the
    > Speedtouch acting as a DHCP server so I assume that it would continue to do
    > that through the AP?
    >
    > TYVM,

    The ASUS WL520GU at around $100 is good value.
    It can use the same 3rd party firmware as the linksys WRT54GL if you
    want QoS, port forwarding, static dhcp etc
    I use and recommend http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato, it has a much
    better http interface than any of the default firmwares.
    (I'm using 2 at the moment, one for the main house and one in WDS mode
    as a repeater in the window of an adjacent cottage/office each with a
    voip phone adapter)
    victor, Jul 13, 2009

  3. ~misfit~

    JohnO Guest

    On Jul 13, 11:31 am, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > Hey Kids,
    >
    > So I find myself with a couple ThinkPads and a PC at the far end of the
    > house from my ethernet switch that I have a PCI WiFi card for. I know
    > nothing about WiFi, other than when I tried to set up the built-in WiFi AP
    > on my (oddly named) ASUS P5KE-WiFi/AP to share teh intarwebs with my HTPC
    > the result was nothing but days of frustration.
    >
    > Basic security would be good (WEP?) but I'm sure that I don't need WPA2 if
    > it makes things more complex as I live in a ghetto and in all the time I've
    > been WiFi capable, just once, very briefly, my T60 told me there was another
    > device in range. Turns out the neighbours over the back are between tenants
    > and are self-renovating for a couple weeks. I figure one of them had their
    > laptop with them.
    >
    > (Actually, I have the WiFi on the other TPs turned off in BIOS, [the T60 has
    > a hardware switch to turn of 'all radios', WiFi and Bluetooth, that I use
    > rather than BIOS] perhaps I should play around with trying to connectone TP
    > to another? Or would that just confuse me further? As it is, although I've
    > never had trouble setting up a [wired] file sharing network with XP before
    > with multiple desktops, since I've had these TPs I can't seem to get it to
    > work.)
    >
    > So... Any recommendations for a cheap'n'cheerful AP that I can plug into one
    > of the ethernet ports of my Speedtouch modem / router? Frankly I'm getting
    > sick of all the messages from my HTPC about the AV not being able reach the
    > update server whenever I turn it on. Also, I've been a bit poorly the last
    > few days and it would've been nice to have had the option to take my lappy
    > into my room and read usenet / news sites. (I've been too sick to surf pr0n,
    > <g>.)
    >
    > Help? Advice? Please? Oh, should mention I only have a/b/g capable devices
    > so don't need (and most likely can't afford) n capability. I have the
    > Speedtouch acting as a DHCP server so I assume that it would continue to do
    > that through the AP?
    >
    > TYVM,
    > --
    > Shaun.
    >
    > "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll
    > be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.

    Shaun, you should stick with WPA - no harder to set up than WEP but it
    is much better than WEP which is trivial to crack with freely
    downloadable software.

    Just because you don't see other a/p's doesn't mean they are not
    there. They can just have SSID broadcast switched off (you should do
    that also).

    Also, the bandwidth stealers can often be "war-drivers" rather than
    neighbours.

    The good news is all the wifi a/ps these days do WPA.

    Cheers,
    JohnO
    JohnO, Jul 13, 2009
  4. ~misfit~

    JohnO Guest

    On Jul 13, 12:04 pm, victor <> wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Hey Kids,

    > > So I find myself with a couple ThinkPads and a PC at the far end of the
    > > house from my ethernet switch that I have a PCI WiFi card for. I know
    > > nothing about WiFi, other than when I tried to set up the built-in WiFi AP
    > > on my (oddly named) ASUS P5KE-WiFi/AP to share teh intarwebs with my HTPC
    > > the result was nothing but days of frustration.

    > > Basic security would be good (WEP?) but I'm sure that I don't need WPA2 if
    > > it makes things more complex as I live in a ghetto and in all the time I've
    > > been WiFi capable, just once, very briefly, my T60 told me there was another
    > > device in range. Turns out the neighbours over the back are between tenants
    > > and are self-renovating for a couple weeks. I figure one of them had their
    > > laptop with them.

    > > (Actually, I have the WiFi on the other TPs turned off in BIOS, [the T60 has
    > > a hardware switch to turn of 'all radios', WiFi and Bluetooth, that I use
    > > rather than BIOS] perhaps I should play around with trying to connectone TP
    > > to another? Or would that just confuse me further? As it is, although I've
    > > never had trouble setting up a [wired] file sharing network with XP before
    > > with multiple desktops, since I've had these TPs I can't seem to get it to
    > > work.)

    > > So... Any recommendations for a cheap'n'cheerful AP that I can plug into one
    > > of the ethernet ports of my Speedtouch modem / router? Frankly I'm getting
    > > sick of all the messages from my HTPC about the AV not being able reach the
    > > update server whenever I turn it on. Also, I've been a bit poorly the last
    > > few days and it would've been nice to have had the option to take my lappy
    > > into my room and read usenet / news sites. (I've been too sick to surf pr0n,
    > > <g>.)

    > > Help? Advice? Please? Oh, should mention I only have a/b/g capable devices
    > > so don't need (and most likely can't afford) n capability. I have the
    > > Speedtouch acting as a DHCP server so I assume that it would continue to do
    > > that through the AP?

    > > TYVM,

    > The ASUS WL520GU at around $100 is good value.
    > It can use the same 3rd party firmware as the linksys WRT54GL if you
    > want QoS, port forwarding, static dhcp etc
    > I use and recommendhttp://www.polarcloud.com/tomato, it has a much
    > better http interface than any of the default firmwares.
    > (I'm using 2 at the moment, one for the main house and one in WDS mode
    > as a repeater in the window of an adjacent cottage/office each with a
    > voip phone adapter)

    Can it also be used as a bridge? IOW use it to attach an ethernet
    device to your wifi network?
    JohnO, Jul 13, 2009
  5. ~misfit~

    victor Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > On Jul 13, 12:04 pm, victor <> wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> Hey Kids,
    >>> So I find myself with a couple ThinkPads and a PC at the far end of the
    >>> house from my ethernet switch that I have a PCI WiFi card for. I know
    >>> nothing about WiFi, other than when I tried to set up the built-in WiFi AP
    >>> on my (oddly named) ASUS P5KE-WiFi/AP to share teh intarwebs with my HTPC
    >>> the result was nothing but days of frustration.
    >>> Basic security would be good (WEP?) but I'm sure that I don't need WPA2 if
    >>> it makes things more complex as I live in a ghetto and in all the time I've
    >>> been WiFi capable, just once, very briefly, my T60 told me there was another
    >>> device in range. Turns out the neighbours over the back are between tenants
    >>> and are self-renovating for a couple weeks. I figure one of them had their
    >>> laptop with them.
    >>> (Actually, I have the WiFi on the other TPs turned off in BIOS, [the T60 has
    >>> a hardware switch to turn of 'all radios', WiFi and Bluetooth, that I use
    >>> rather than BIOS] perhaps I should play around with trying to connectone TP
    >>> to another? Or would that just confuse me further? As it is, although I've
    >>> never had trouble setting up a [wired] file sharing network with XP before
    >>> with multiple desktops, since I've had these TPs I can't seem to get it to
    >>> work.)
    >>> So... Any recommendations for a cheap'n'cheerful AP that I can plug into one
    >>> of the ethernet ports of my Speedtouch modem / router? Frankly I'm getting
    >>> sick of all the messages from my HTPC about the AV not being able reach the
    >>> update server whenever I turn it on. Also, I've been a bit poorly the last
    >>> few days and it would've been nice to have had the option to take my lappy
    >>> into my room and read usenet / news sites. (I've been too sick to surf pr0n,
    >>> <g>.)
    >>> Help? Advice? Please? Oh, should mention I only have a/b/g capable devices
    >>> so don't need (and most likely can't afford) n capability. I have the
    >>> Speedtouch acting as a DHCP server so I assume that it would continue to do
    >>> that through the AP?
    >>> TYVM,

    >> The ASUS WL520GU at around $100 is good value.
    >> It can use the same 3rd party firmware as the linksys WRT54GL if you
    >> want QoS, port forwarding, static dhcp etc
    >> I use and recommendhttp://www.polarcloud.com/tomato, it has a much
    >> better http interface than any of the default firmwares.
    >> (I'm using 2 at the moment, one for the main house and one in WDS mode
    >> as a repeater in the window of an adjacent cottage/office each with a
    >> voip phone adapter)

    > Can it also be used as a bridge? IOW use it to attach an ethernet
    > device to your wifi network?

    Yes, that is what is happening with the wired voip adapter on the second
    unit.

    The options for Wireless Mode are
    access point
    access point + WDS
    wireless client
    wireless ethernet bridge
    WDS

    There is also a very cool project using it as a music player.
    victor, Jul 13, 2009
  6. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Hey Kids,
    >
    > So I find myself with a couple ThinkPads and a PC at the far end of the
    > house from my ethernet switch that I have a PCI WiFi card for. I know
    > nothing about WiFi, other than when I tried to set up the built-in WiFi AP
    > on my (oddly named) ASUS P5KE-WiFi/AP to share teh intarwebs with my HTPC
    > the result was nothing but days of frustration.
    >
    > Basic security would be good (WEP?) but I'm sure that I don't need WPA2 if
    > it makes things more complex as I live in a ghetto and in all the time I've
    > been WiFi capable, just once, very briefly, my T60 told me there was another
    > device in range. Turns out the neighbours over the back are between tenants
    > and are self-renovating for a couple weeks. I figure one of them had their
    > laptop with them.
    >
    > (Actually, I have the WiFi on the other TPs turned off in BIOS, [the T60 has
    > a hardware switch to turn of 'all radios', WiFi and Bluetooth, that I use
    > rather than BIOS] perhaps I should play around with trying to connectone TP
    > to another? Or would that just confuse me further? As it is, although I've
    > never had trouble setting up a [wired] file sharing network with XP before
    > with multiple desktops, since I've had these TPs I can't seem to get it to
    > work.)
    >
    > So... Any recommendations for a cheap'n'cheerful AP that I can plug into one
    > of the ethernet ports of my Speedtouch modem / router? Frankly I'm getting
    > sick of all the messages from my HTPC about the AV not being able reach the
    > update server whenever I turn it on. Also, I've been a bit poorly the last
    > few days and it would've been nice to have had the option to take my lappy
    > into my room and read usenet / news sites. (I've been too sick to surf pr0n,
    > <g>.)
    >
    > Help? Advice? Please? Oh, should mention I only have a/b/g capable devices
    > so don't need (and most likely can't afford) n capability. I have the
    > Speedtouch acting as a DHCP server so I assume that it would continue to do
    > that through the AP?

    Look into the routers - that gets you a 4 port switch as well, and they
    seem to be cheaper then a standalone accesspoint - just give it a static
    lan IP, turn off its DHCP server and leave the wan port empty.

    Forget wep - WPA works better IME - WEP will do all sorts of crap like
    show you are connected and not pass data because its using the wrong key
    etc. Never got the point of specifying multiple keys on accesspoints -
    never worked for me.. whereas WPA is mature enough to just work now.

    There are many that will take openwrt on them to do other cool stuff
    like ratelimit flatmates and account for traffic - the asus 520's are
    the best value if you can find one - you can add USB to the 520GC by
    adding the sockets and changing to a 5V adapter. A friend didnt bother
    with that and has put a flashdrive on the USB inside it by bypassing the
    regulator on it and using the AP's own 3.3v supply and it now has a
    webserver on it and is controlling a couple of things via its serial
    port. Apparantly you can torrent on them easily as well but I have no
    reason to bother with that.
    Richard, Jul 13, 2009
  7. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-07-12, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > Hey Kids,
    >
    > So I find myself with a couple ThinkPads and a PC at the far end of the
    > house from my ethernet switch that I have a PCI WiFi card for. I know
    > nothing about WiFi, other than when I tried to set up the built-in WiFi AP
    > on my (oddly named) ASUS P5KE-WiFi/AP to share teh intarwebs with my HTPC
    > the result was nothing but days of frustration.
    >
    > Basic security would be good (WEP?) but I'm sure that I don't need WPA2 if
    > it makes things more complex as I live in a ghetto and in all the time I've
    > been WiFi capable, just once, very briefly, my T60 told me there was another
    > device in range. Turns out the neighbours over the back are between tenants
    > and are self-renovating for a couple weeks. I figure one of them had their
    > laptop with them.
    >
    > (Actually, I have the WiFi on the other TPs turned off in BIOS, [the T60 has
    > a hardware switch to turn of 'all radios', WiFi and Bluetooth, that I use
    > rather than BIOS] perhaps I should play around with trying to connectone TP
    > to another? Or would that just confuse me further? As it is, although I've
    > never had trouble setting up a [wired] file sharing network with XP before
    > with multiple desktops, since I've had these TPs I can't seem to get it to
    > work.)
    >
    > So... Any recommendations for a cheap'n'cheerful AP that I can plug into one
    > of the ethernet ports of my Speedtouch modem / router? Frankly I'm getting
    > sick of all the messages from my HTPC about the AV not being able reach the
    > update server whenever I turn it on. Also, I've been a bit poorly the last
    > few days and it would've been nice to have had the option to take my lappy
    > into my room and read usenet / news sites. (I've been too sick to surf pr0n,
    ><g>.)
    >
    > Help? Advice? Please? Oh, should mention I only have a/b/g capable devices
    > so don't need (and most likely can't afford) n capability. I have the
    > Speedtouch acting as a DHCP server so I assume that it would continue to do
    > that through the AP?

    Yes. One DHCP per subnet. Off the top of my head, and from memory.

    You need to set the AP up to get the IP from the DHCP server. I have a
    fixed IP for the AP in the same sub net range . Helps with getting to it to
    set it up.

    Set it up via a cable. The cable is always there, so to speak, and works
    better. Older technology.

    My 2cents.
    Gordon, Jul 13, 2009
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
    > On Jul 13, 11:31 am, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >> Hey Kids,
    >>
    >> So I find myself with a couple ThinkPads and a PC at the far end of
    >> the house from my ethernet switch that I have a PCI WiFi card for. I
    >> know nothing about WiFi, other than when I tried to set up the
    >> built-in WiFi AP on my (oddly named) ASUS P5KE-WiFi/AP to share teh
    >> intarwebs with my HTPC the result was nothing but days of
    >> frustration.
    >>
    >> Basic security would be good (WEP?) but I'm sure that I don't need
    >> WPA2 if it makes things more complex as I live in a ghetto and in
    >> all the time I've been WiFi capable, just once, very briefly, my T60
    >> told me there was another device in range. Turns out the neighbours
    >> over the back are between tenants and are self-renovating for a
    >> couple weeks. I figure one of them had their laptop with them.
    >>
    >> (Actually, I have the WiFi on the other TPs turned off in BIOS, [the
    >> T60 has a hardware switch to turn of 'all radios', WiFi and
    >> Bluetooth, that I use rather than BIOS] perhaps I should play around
    >> with trying to connectone TP to another? Or would that just confuse
    >> me further? As it is, although I've never had trouble setting up a
    >> [wired] file sharing network with XP before with multiple desktops,
    >> since I've had these TPs I can't seem to get it to work.)
    >>
    >> So... Any recommendations for a cheap'n'cheerful AP that I can plug
    >> into one of the ethernet ports of my Speedtouch modem / router?
    >> Frankly I'm getting sick of all the messages from my HTPC about the
    >> AV not being able reach the update server whenever I turn it on.
    >> Also, I've been a bit poorly the last few days and it would've been
    >> nice to have had the option to take my lappy into my room and read
    >> usenet / news sites. (I've been too sick to surf pr0n, <g>.)
    >>
    >> Help? Advice? Please? Oh, should mention I only have a/b/g capable
    >> devices so don't need (and most likely can't afford) n capability. I
    >> have the Speedtouch acting as a DHCP server so I assume that it
    >> would continue to do that through the AP?

    > Shaun, you should stick with WPA - no harder to set up than WEP but it
    > is much better than WEP which is trivial to crack with freely
    > downloadable software.
    >
    > Just because you don't see other a/p's doesn't mean they are not
    > there. They can just have SSID broadcast switched off (you should do
    > that also).
    >
    > Also, the bandwidth stealers can often be "war-drivers" rather than
    > neighbours.
    >
    > The good news is all the wifi a/ps these days do WPA.

    Thanks JohnO, all the APs might do WPA but I'm not sure about all of my
    ThinkPads, especially the older R40s (c 2004).

    I live up a cul-de-sac and am pretty much the only non tangata
    whenua/pasifika in the 'street'. I know of three others up here with
    computers (all of whom I've assisted at times, all essentially
    computer-illiterate) and only one has a WiFi-capable router and I advised
    them to turn the WiFi off as they have an ethernet cable and the machine is
    right next to the modem/router.

    It's good to see all the responses (but please exuse me folks, I have 'flu
    so aren't out of bed much to answer everyone). However, it seems a few
    people are missing the "basic" requirement. I don't really want to learn all
    about WiFi, I just want to get a recommendation on a cheap, reliable unit.

    Cheers, <Shivering my arse off, 'flu and being unable to afford home-heating
    aren't the greatest combo>

    ~misfit~, Jul 13, 2009
  9. ~misfit~

    JohnO Guest

    On Jul 13, 11:01 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
> [...]

    > computers (all of whom I've assisted at times, all essentially
    > computer-illiterate) and only one has a WiFi-capable router and I advised
    > them to turn the WiFi off as they have an ethernet cable and the machine is
    > right next to the modem/router.
    >
    > It's good to see all the responses (but please exuse me folks, I have 'flu
    > so aren't out of bed much to answer everyone). However, it seems a few
    > people are missing the "basic" requirement. I don't really want to learn all
    > about WiFi, I just want to get a recommendation on a cheap, reliable unit..
    >
    > Cheers, <Shivering my arse off, 'flu and being unable to afford home-heating
    > aren't the greatest combo>
    > --
    > Shaun.
    >
    > "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll
    > be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.

    Ouch. Wrap up warm and don't follow your sig then!
    JohnO, Jul 13, 2009
  10. ~misfit~

    victor Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Thanks JohnO, all the APs might do WPA but I'm not sure about all of my
    > ThinkPads, especially the older R40s (c 2004).
    >
    > I live up a cul-de-sac and am pretty much the only non tangata
    > whenua/pasifika in the 'street'. I know of three others up here with
    > computers (all of whom I've assisted at times, all essentially
    > computer-illiterate) and only one has a WiFi-capable router and I advised
    > them to turn the WiFi off as they have an ethernet cable and the machine is
    > right next to the modem/router.
    >
    > It's good to see all the responses (but please exuse me folks, I have 'flu
    > so aren't out of bed much to answer everyone). However, it seems a few
    > people are missing the "basic" requirement. I don't really want to learn all
    > about WiFi, I just want to get a recommendation on a cheap, reliable unit.
    >
    > Cheers, <Shivering my arse off, 'flu and being unable to afford home-heating
    > aren't the greatest combo>

    You can start with the ASUS WL520GU straight out of the box. Best value
    for money.
    victor, Jul 13, 2009
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
    > On Jul 13, 11:01 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:

    >>> Shaun, you should stick with WPA - no harder to set up than WEP but
    >>> it is much better than WEP which is trivial to crack with freely
    >>> downloadable software.

    >>> Just because you don't see other a/p's doesn't mean they are not
    >>> there. They can just have SSID broadcast switched off (you should do
    >>> that also).

    >>> Also, the bandwidth stealers can often be "war-drivers" rather than
    >>> neighbours.

    >>> The good news is all the wifi a/ps these days do WPA.

    >> Thanks JohnO, all the APs might do WPA but I'm not sure about all of
    >> my ThinkPads, especially the older R40s (c 2004).
    >>
    >> I live up a cul-de-sac and am pretty much the only non tangata
    >> whenua/pasifika in the 'street'. I know of three others up here with
    >> computers (all of whom I've assisted at times, all essentially
    >> computer-illiterate) and only one has a WiFi-capable router and I
    >> advised them to turn the WiFi off as they have an ethernet cable and
    >> the machine is right next to the modem/router.
    >>
    >> It's good to see all the responses (but please exuse me folks, I
    >> have 'flu so aren't out of bed much to answer everyone). However, it
    >> seems a few people are missing the "basic" requirement. I don't
    >> really want to learn all about WiFi, I just want to get a
    >> recommendation on a cheap, reliable unit.
    >>
    >> Cheers, <Shivering my arse off, 'flu and being unable to afford
    >> home-heating aren't the greatest combo>
    >> --
    >> Shaun.
    >>
    >> "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire
    >> and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.

    > Ouch. Wrap up warm and don't follow your sig then!

    Heh! Yeah, tempting as it may be.

    I'm pretty sure it's porker virus, it's different to any other 'flu I've had
    (I don't often get 'flu anyway) and it's deeper in the chest than most other
    'flus. Not so much sneezing and sniveling, more of a rumbling, crackling
    <heh> feeling in the chest and I'm way to scared to cough, it feels like I
    have a pine-cone in my trachea. Lots of aching and headaches...

    Day four now, hopefully the last one. <fingers crossed>

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jul 14, 2009
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Thanks JohnO, all the APs might do WPA but I'm not sure about all of
    >> my ThinkPads, especially the older R40s (c 2004).
    >>
    >> I live up a cul-de-sac and am pretty much the only non tangata
    >> whenua/pasifika in the 'street'. I know of three others up here with
    >> computers (all of whom I've assisted at times, all essentially
    >> computer-illiterate) and only one has a WiFi-capable router and I
    >> advised them to turn the WiFi off as they have an ethernet cable and
    >> the machine is right next to the modem/router.
    >>
    >> It's good to see all the responses (but please exuse me folks, I
    >> have 'flu so aren't out of bed much to answer everyone). However, it
    >> seems a few people are missing the "basic" requirement. I don't
    >> really want to learn all about WiFi, I just want to get a
    >> recommendation on a cheap, reliable unit. Cheers, <Shivering my arse off,
    >> 'flu and being unable to afford
    >> home-heating aren't the greatest combo>

    > You can start with the ASUS WL520GU straight out of the box. Best
    > value for money.

    Alrighty then, noted, thanks Victor. I see the ASUS WL520GC is $10 cheaper
    at Ascent (and in stock, unlike the GU). AFAICT the main difference is the
    GU can act as a print server (USB) and is perhaps a newer design?

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jul 14, 2009
  13. ~misfit~

    bugalugs Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:

    <snip>

    >>> Cheers, <Shivering my arse off, 'flu and being unable to afford
    >>> home-heating aren't the greatest combo>
    >>> --
    >>> Shaun.
    >>>
    >>> "Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire
    >>> and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.

    >> Ouch. Wrap up warm and don't follow your sig then!

    > Heh! Yeah, tempting as it may be.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure it's porker virus, it's different to any other 'flu I've had
    > (I don't often get 'flu anyway) and it's deeper in the chest than most other
    > 'flus. Not so much sneezing and sniveling, more of a rumbling, crackling
    > <heh> feeling in the chest and I'm way to scared to cough, it feels like I
    > have a pine-cone in my trachea. Lots of aching and headaches...
    >
    > Day four now, hopefully the last one. <fingers crossed>
    >
    > Cheers,

    So, you're sick in bed with two nurses ?
    bugalugs, Jul 14, 2009
  14. ~misfit~

    victor Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> Thanks JohnO, all the APs might do WPA but I'm not sure about all of
    >>> my ThinkPads, especially the older R40s (c 2004).
    >>>
    >>> I live up a cul-de-sac and am pretty much the only non tangata
    >>> whenua/pasifika in the 'street'. I know of three others up here with
    >>> computers (all of whom I've assisted at times, all essentially
    >>> computer-illiterate) and only one has a WiFi-capable router and I
    >>> advised them to turn the WiFi off as they have an ethernet cable and
    >>> the machine is right next to the modem/router.
    >>>
    >>> It's good to see all the responses (but please exuse me folks, I
    >>> have 'flu so aren't out of bed much to answer everyone). However, it
    >>> seems a few people are missing the "basic" requirement. I don't
    >>> really want to learn all about WiFi, I just want to get a
    >>> recommendation on a cheap, reliable unit. Cheers, <Shivering my arse off,
    >>> 'flu and being unable to afford
    >>> home-heating aren't the greatest combo>

    >> You can start with the ASUS WL520GU straight out of the box. Best
    >> value for money.

    > Alrighty then, noted, thanks Victor. I see the ASUS WL520GC is $10 cheaper
    > at Ascent (and in stock, unlike the GU). AFAICT the main difference is the
    > GU can act as a print server (USB) and is perhaps a newer design?
    >
    > Cheers,

    Its got the USB and it has more RAM if you feel the need to tweak at
    some future date. Another supplier got me one overnight from the
    distributor so you could ask.
    victor, Jul 14, 2009
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Puddle wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:

    >>> Ouch. Wrap up warm and don't follow your sig then!

    >> Heh! Yeah, tempting as it may be.
    >>
    >> I'm pretty sure it's porker virus, it's different to any other 'flu
    >> I've had (I don't often get 'flu anyway) and it's deeper in the
    >> chest than most other 'flus. Not so much sneezing and sniveling,
    >> more of a rumbling, crackling <heh> feeling in the chest and I'm way
    >> to scared to cough, it feels like I have a pine-cone in my trachea.
    >> Lots of aching and headaches... Day four now, hopefully the last one.
    >> <fingers crossed>
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > Aren't most people describing swine flu as being like a very mild
    > seasonal flu?
    > What you describe sounds like regular flu also.

    Mmm, not my experience of regular flu. Regular flu is usually a lot
    wetter/sneezier, based more around the face/throat area. This is a deep
    chest thing with a lot worse body effects such as nasty aches / shivers /
    thermo-regulatory problems. At least this is my experience based on my 48
    years on Earth. I'm really achey / shivery at night, so much so that, for
    the first ever, I find myself using a 'chamber pot' during the night to
    avoid the trip to the other end of the house to the toilet.

    Oddly, during the day, the severity of the symptoms seems to abate by maybe
    50% leading me to hope that perhaps it's over.

    The only way I would remotely describe it as a mild version of the seasonal
    flu is in respect of the lack of a streaming nose / sneezing type symptoms.
    However, as mentioned above, for me at least, the other symptoms are a lot
    worse.

    > The seasonal flu floating around this year is meant to be quite harsh,
    > it has really hammered the americas already.
    > Keep in mind that seasonal flu knocks off around 400,000 people each
    > year so swine flu has a lot of catching up to do.

    Yeah, I know it's been 'media-ised' to the max.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jul 14, 2009
  16. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs bugalugs wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:

    > <snip>

    >>> Ouch. Wrap up warm and don't follow your sig then!

    >> Heh! Yeah, tempting as it may be.
    >>
    >> I'm pretty sure it's porker virus, it's different to any other 'flu
    >> I've had (I don't often get 'flu anyway) and it's deeper in the
    >> chest than most other 'flus. Not so much sneezing and sniveling,
    >> more of a rumbling, crackling <heh> feeling in the chest and I'm way
    >> to scared to cough, it feels like I have a pine-cone in my trachea.
    >> Lots of aching and headaches... Day four now, hopefully the last one.
    >> <fingers crossed>
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > So, you're sick in bed with two nurses ?

    Heh! If only....

    ~misfit~, Jul 14, 2009
  17. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:

    >>> You can start with the ASUS WL520GU straight out of the box. Best
    >>> value for money.

    >> Alrighty then, noted, thanks Victor. I see the ASUS WL520GC is $10
    >> cheaper at Ascent (and in stock, unlike the GU). AFAICT the main
    >> difference is the GU can act as a print server (USB) and is perhaps
    >> a newer design?

    > Its got the USB and it has more RAM if you feel the need to tweak at
    > some future date. Another supplier got me one overnight from the
    > distributor so you could ask.

    Alright, thanks for that. :)

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jul 14, 2009
  18. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:

    >>> You can start with the ASUS WL520GU straight out of the box. Best
    >>> value for money.

    >> Alrighty then, noted, thanks Victor. I see the ASUS WL520GC is $10
    >> cheaper at Ascent (and in stock, unlike the GU). AFAICT the main
    >> difference is the GU can act as a print server (USB) and is perhaps
    >> a newer design?

    > Its got the USB and it has more RAM if you feel the need to tweak at
    > some future date. Another supplier got me one overnight from the
    > distributor so you could ask.

    I don't know about feeling the need to tweak, I just want it to work without
    me having to take night-classes in wireless networking.

    Anyway, as I couldn't find one in stock with my other usual suppliers I've
    just ordered one from Ascent. S'funny, last time I ordered something from
    them that had the 'x', meaning not in stock I had it 19 hours after I
    ordered it.

    Thanks for the input. Guess who I'll be chasing if I need help seeting it
    up? ;-)

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jul 14, 2009
  19. ~misfit~

    John Little Guest

    On Jul 14, 3:26 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    > Mmm, not my experience of regular flu. Regular flu is usually a lot
    > wetter/sneezier, based more around the face/throat area.

    They're colds, not influenza. Real flu rarely causes as much as a
    sniffle. Not to belittle the suffering, there was a nasty cold last
    year that killed people.

    > ... nasty aches / shivers /thermo-regulatory problems... achey / shivery at night...

    Yup, that's influenza, IMHO. People get influenza on average twice in
    their life; this may be your first time. If you've got it bad you
    can't get up at all, without help, even to the point of dying of
    thirst. Having someone to get you warm drinks, keep a fire going,
    empty the chamber pot and the like can make a big difference.

    Cheers, sincerely, John
    John Little, Jul 14, 2009
  20. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs John Little wrote:
    > On Jul 14, 3:26 pm, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mmm, not my experience of regular flu. Regular flu is usually a lot
    >> wetter/sneezier, based more around the face/throat area.

    > They're colds, not influenza. Real flu rarely causes as much as a
    > sniffle. Not to belittle the suffering, there was a nasty cold last
    > year that killed people.
    >
    >> ... nasty aches / shivers /thermo-regulatory problems... achey /
    >> shivery at night...

    > Yup, that's influenza, IMHO. People get influenza on average twice in
    > their life; this may be your first time. If you've got it bad you
    > can't get up at all, without help, even to the point of dying of
    > thirst. Having someone to get you warm drinks, keep a fire going,
    > empty the chamber pot and the like can make a big difference.
    >
    > Cheers, sincerely, John

    Hi John,

    Yeah, you are probably right about colds. That said though, I *have* had flu
    at least a couple times before. I'm a tough independant bugger though, from
    hardy peasant stock (and hardened even more since I've been suffering from
    chronic back pain for ~15 years now) and tend to just carry on as much as
    possible. Before my back injury in '95 I hadn't been to a doctor for over 10
    years.

    I only wish I had someone to look atfer me this time around, it doesn't get
    easier as I get older. As it is I take a *large* glass of water to bed with
    me and have a plethora of meds next to my bed (that I have prescribed for my
    various ailments). My codeine acts quite well as an anti-tussive, I have a
    small dose at night and I have several different benzodiazapienes that I can
    gulp down to help me sleep through the night as much as possible. That and
    an electric blanket with settings that go from 1 to 9 (which I find myself
    constantly adjusting throughout the night) make it not unbearable.

    Ironically I think that being a chronic pain patient helps me during the day
    when I take my main codeine doseage. I'm currently on 840mg a day which
    allows me to be relatively mobile for a large chunk of the daytime, at least
    enough to make sure I eat reasonably well, have a shower and get the chamber
    pot empty. As it wears off at night though the aches and shivers set in
    again... My doc insists on prescribing me paracetamol and ibuprofen, both of
    which do absolutely nothing for my back pain. However they've been a
    God-send while I've had this flu.

    It's a shame I didn't get my WiFi set up before the flu hit though, I could
    have spent more time in bed warm rather than sitting in my unheated office.

    Regards,

    ~misfit~, Jul 14, 2009