    Also, can you create more than 3 sheets which can connect to each other?

    Thanks for your help.

    Sam

    Samuel Sheet, Apr 1, 2005

  2. Samuel Sheet

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 16:41:57 +1200, Samuel Sheet wrote:

    > As a new spreadsheet user, I see that Microsoft Excel opens with Sheet 1,
    > Sheet 2, and Sheet 3. If I have $3000 entered in Cell B1 of Sheet 2, $4000
    > entered in Cell C1 of Sheet 3, what is the formula to add these amounts to
    > the sum of $5000 which has been entered in Cell A1 of Sheet 1 so that A1 in
    > sheet 1 shows a total of the three cells of $12,000? I guess there must be
    > complete interconnectivity between the sheets, but I couldn't work out the
    > correct formula to link them mathematically after studying the help pages.

    Whew, my response is, *new* user, or someone who is trying to run before
    they can walk?

    BTW, I have seen this situation many times on USNET, and no doubt will
    again shortly.

    Also is Sheet your surname/family name? Sorry. ;-)

    Gordon, Apr 1, 2005

  3. Samuel Sheet

    samual Guest

    "Samuel Sheet" <> wrote:

    > As a new spreadsheet user, I see that Microsoft Excel opens with

    why not ask at one of the many Excel groups ?

    like microsoft.public.excel.newusers

    samual, Apr 1, 2005
  4. Samuel Sheet

    Samuel Sheet Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 16:41:57 +1200, Samuel Sheet wrote:
    >
    >> As a new spreadsheet user, I see that Microsoft Excel opens with Sheet 1,
    >> Sheet 2, and Sheet 3. If I have $3000 entered in Cell B1 of Sheet 2,
    >> $4000
    >> entered in Cell C1 of Sheet 3, what is the formula to add these amounts
    >> the sum of $5000 which has been entered in Cell A1 of Sheet 1 so that A1
    >> in
    >> sheet 1 shows a total of the three cells of $12,000? I guess there must
    >> be
    >> complete interconnectivity between the sheets, but I couldn't work out
    >> the
    >> correct formula to link them mathematically after studying the help
    >> pages.

    > Whew, my response is, *new* user, or someone who is trying to run before
    > they can walk?
    >
    > BTW, I have seen this situation many times on USNET, and no doubt will
    > again shortly.
    >
    > Also is Sheet your surname/family name? Sorry. ;-)

    My friends call me "Bull", I'm not sure why. Anyway, I don't think you
    answered the question, is there a simple answer to this? I used to work with
    Lotus 123 many years ago, so I am not completely green as far as
    spreadsheets go!

    Sam

    Samuel Sheet, Apr 1, 2005
  5. Samuel Sheet

    cowboyz Guest

    Samuel Sheet wrote:
    > As a new spreadsheet user, I see that Microsoft Excel opens with
    > Sheet 1, Sheet 2, and Sheet 3. If I have $3000 entered in Cell B1 of
    > Sheet 2, $4000 entered in Cell C1 of Sheet 3, what is the formula to
    > add these amounts to the sum of $5000 which has been entered in Cell
    > A1 of Sheet 1 so that A1 in sheet 1 shows a total of the three cells
    > of $12,000? I guess there must be complete interconnectivity between
    > the sheets, but I couldn't work out the correct formula to link them
    > mathematically after studying the help pages.
    > Also, can you create more than 3 sheets which can connect to each
    > other?
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Sam

    =Sheet1!A1+Sheet2!A1

    basically "Sheet1!" denotes which sheet it gets the formula from. Right
    click the tabs at the bottom and you can create however many sheets you
    want.

    cowboyz, Apr 1, 2005
  6. Samuel Sheet

    Samuel Sheet Guest

    Thanks very much Jerry and cowboyz, I have now got this formula to work. Yes
    Jerry, you are quite correct about the circular reference.

    Sam

    Samuel Sheet, Apr 1, 2005
  7. Samuel Sheet

    Jerry Guest

    Jerry, Apr 1, 2005
  8. Samuel Sheet

    Peter Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > To create another sheet just click insert > worksheet. Your formula
    > won't work, it creates a circular reference. The formula would be
    > =SUM(A1,Sheet2!B1,Sheet3!C1) but you cannot put it in one of the cells
    > that you are adding.

    You might find it easier to use the mouse than it is to type in that long
    cell address (and the mouse way is less error prone, too).

    That is, in the cell where you want the result, type =
    then click the sheet 2 tab, then cell B1
    then press +
    then click the sheet 3 tab, then cell C1
    then press ENTER

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Apr 1, 2005
  9. Samuel Sheet

    Enkidu Guest

    Samuel Sheet wrote:
    > As a new spreadsheet user, I see that Microsoft Excel opens with Sheet 1,
    > Sheet 2, and Sheet 3. If I have $3000 entered in Cell B1 of Sheet 2, $4000
    > entered in Cell C1 of Sheet 3, what is the formula to add these amounts to
    > the sum of $5000 which has been entered in Cell A1 of Sheet 1 so that A1 in
    > sheet 1 shows a total of the three cells of $12,000? I guess there must be
    > complete interconnectivity between the sheets, but I couldn't work out the
    > correct formula to link them mathematically after studying the help pages.
    >
    > Also, can you create more than 3 sheets which can connect to each other?

    =C4+Sheet2!D10+Sheet3!B3

    This adds C4 of Sheet 1 to D10 of Sheet2 to B3 of Sheet 3.

    You can have as many sheets as you like.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 1, 2005
  10. Samuel Sheet

    Jerry Guest

    Samuel Sheet wrote:
    > Thanks very much Jerry and cowboyz, I have now got this formula to work. Yes
    > Jerry, you are quite correct about the circular reference.

    Glad to help

    Jerry

    Jerry, Apr 1, 2005
  11. Samuel Sheet

    Samuel Sheet Guest

    Thanks very much to you all for taking the time to help me with this
    problem. It's good to see that there are several different ways of linking
    the sheets, I learned a lot.

    Regards

    Sam

    Samuel Sheet, Apr 1, 2005
  12. Samuel Sheet wrote:

    > Thanks very much to you all for taking the time to help me with this
    > problem. It's good to see that there are several different ways of linking
    > the sheets, I learned a lot.

    Spreadsheets are fun. Instant gratification when something new works!

    Okay, I'm a geek. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 1, 2005
  13. Samuel Sheet

    J-McC Guest

    Hi, sorry that you have had to put up with so many arrogant and / or
    rude replies.
    I tried what you want to do and here is the result
    =A4+Sheet2!A4+Sheet3!A4
    What I did was place a number in cell A4 on sheet1, 2, 3 and placed
    this formula in cel A2 on sheet1. If you have named the sheets with
    the rename action then I would imagine that you would replace
    "sheet2!" with the newname eg "year2004!"
    for your example try entering in sheet1 cell A2
    =A1+Sheet2!B1+Sheet3!C1 PLACED IN SHEET1 CELL A2
    5000+ 3000+ 4000 answer 12000

    hope that this is clear and helps.
    JIM

    J-McC, Apr 11, 2005
  14. Samuel Sheet

    Jerry Guest

    J-McC wrote:
    > Hi, sorry that you have had to put up with so many arrogant and / or
    > rude replies.

    So many? Most of the replies he got were helpful, and even answered his
    question.

    Jerry

    Jerry, Apr 11, 2005
  15. Samuel Sheet

    J-McC Guest

    Hi Jerry, I must apologise, I had read so many replies in this news
    group and was amazed at the totally uncivil replies to what seemed
    normal questions. I think I may have been a bit cross/dissapointed by
    that stage. I have read all the posts replies and yes most are
    helpful.
    Thanks JIM McC.

    J-McC, Apr 27, 2005