    be possible for a novice to successful share files and printers?
    --
    Mark

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=, Jan 8, 2005

  2. "Mark" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Can a novice with no knowledge of DHCP's, IP addresses, etc. set-up a home
    > network to share files and printers? I recently purchased a wireless
    > laptop
    > and a router. My original desktop computer is wired to the router and the
    > laptop is functioning properly by wireless. Both computers are using XP
    > and
    > can access the internet with no problem. I have gone thru all the network
    > connections wizards on both computers and I have given permissions to
    > share
    > on both computers. Yet the laptop does not find any network printers or
    > computers when I try to add printers. It is unclear to me if I may have
    > skipped a step when setting up the router of indentifying IP addresses or
    > some other needed identification. On the surface, simply following the
    > set-up
    > wizards seems easy. It just doesn't work.The deeper I research the
    > problem,
    > the more technical the information becomes. So what am i missing, should
    > it
    > be possible for a novice to successful share files and printers?
    > --
    > Mark

    The short answer is 'Yes'. Have you tried searching Google for advice on
    network configuration?
    There is a considerable volume of advice there.

    Edward W. Thompson, Jan 8, 2005

  3. Pavel A.

    Pavel A. Guest

    But you've already answered your own question.
    You tried the wizards, they failed, you are at your wits end.
    Now it's time to stop self-cure and call for a doctor.
    --PA

    Pavel A., Jan 9, 2005
  4. mikeFNB

    mikeFNB Guest