Basic setup - USB WiFi on 2 PCs for Internet Sharing... how??? Help!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Adrian B, Sep 7, 2005.

  1. Adrian B

    Adrian B Guest

    Sorry if this has been covered before - I've scanned through this NG and
    can't see the answer.

    I want to connect 2 PCs together for file sharing, printer sharing and
    Internet Conection Sharing..

    I have 2 PCs at home:

    o XP Home (SP1) with an ADSL modem "dialup" connection.
    o WinME

    I have bought two Asus USB WiFi (54MBS) adaptors which are installed on each
    machine.

    There is no router...

    How should I configure the conection? I've tried various things, but so far
    no luck...

    The ASUS software seems to want to install a "Soft AP" on the XP "server"
    machine. With that configured, the Adhoc/Infrastructure options are greyed
    and locked at Infrastructure. On the ME PC, I can find the network and
    apparently connect, but there's nothing in Network Places and the Internet
    doesn't work.

    Can someone give me an Idiot's Guide to setting up a network like this? Or
    perhaps point me at a website which will help a WiFi virgin like me.

    I'm now thinking I should scrap the Soft AP and use ad-hoc on both machines.
    If I do that, can I get ICS to work?

    Adrian

    Adrian B, Sep 7, 2005