Basic scanner questions for new user

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by goldtech, Mar 9, 2009.

  1. goldtech

    goldtech Guest

    Hi,

    I have a bunch of old 35mm slides and color and bw negatives. I want
    to by a scanner.

    I'm looking for websites that very simply explain the process.

    I also need a recommendation for the best value in a scanner. I see
    the Nikons but the price of admission is about 1K for that high
    quality. Is there a unit with comparible quality for less, or least
    one that's less $$$ and not a piece of junk...

    What is the difference between Slverfast and VueScan and Photoshop?

    What software does a scanner need besides drivers? (I assume I'll have
    to install drivers for it.)

    What the best way to clean fingerprints and dust from old slides and
    film?

    Real basic questions I know, and I appreciate if you can point me in
    the right direction.

    thanks,

    Lee G.
    goldtech, Mar 9, 2009

  2. goldtech

    Art Kesler Guest

    I have had great success using the Veho 35mm film and slide scanner to
    convert my slides into digital files. Costs about $100 US and comes
    with software.

    I already had a flat scanner for photos. It does fine, but I do very
    few photo scans. I think most flat scanners will do OK on photos.

    Art

    Art Kesler, Mar 9, 2009

  3. goldtech

    ray Guest

    On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 15:46:22 -0700, goldtech wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a bunch of old 35mm slides and color and bw negatives. I want to
    > by a scanner.
    >
    > I'm looking for websites that very simply explain the process.
    >
    > I also need a recommendation for the best value in a scanner. I see the
    > Nikons but the price of admission is about 1K for that high quality. Is
    > there a unit with comparible quality for less, or least one that's less
    > $$$ and not a piece of junk...
    >
    > What is the difference between Slverfast and VueScan and Photoshop?
    >
    > What software does a scanner need besides drivers? (I assume I'll have
    > to install drivers for it.)
    >
    > What the best way to clean fingerprints and dust from old slides and
    > film?
    >
    > Real basic questions I know, and I appreciate if you can point me in the
    > right direction.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Lee G.

    How many? Scanning slides and negatives is SLOW. I've had good luck with
    an Epson (refurb) from the online Epson store - would set you back about
    $100 - just make sure you get one that scans slides/negatives.

    I can't speak to what software you'd need on an MS platform, but with
    Linux, xsane or (in the case of Epson) iscan software downloaded from
    avasys.jp.
    ray, Mar 10, 2009
  4. goldtech

    Bob Williams Guest

    goldtech wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a bunch of old 35mm slides and color and bw negatives. I want
    > to by a scanner.
    >
    > I'm looking for websites that very simply explain the process.
    >
    > I also need a recommendation for the best value in a scanner. I see
    > the Nikons but the price of admission is about 1K for that high
    > quality. Is there a unit with comparible quality for less, or least
    > one that's less $$$ and not a piece of junk...
    >
    > What is the difference between Slverfast and VueScan and Photoshop?
    >
    > What software does a scanner need besides drivers? (I assume I'll have
    > to install drivers for it.)
    >
    > What the best way to clean fingerprints and dust from old slides and
    > film?
    >
    > Real basic questions I know, and I appreciate if you can point me in
    > the right direction.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Lee G.

    IMHO, It is a real PIA to scan color slides. It it quite slow even after
    you master the learning curve. After scanning about 50 slides, you get
    bored to death with the overall process.
    I personally recommend using one of the many vendors that offer a
    scanning service at a VERY reasonable price. I would not consider
    scanning slides for anyone else for 27-35 cents each, so why subject
    yourself to the hassle. Google on SLIDE SCANNING SERVICE and you will
    find a bunch of shops that offer to scan your slides and put them on a
    premium CD or DVD for a mere pittance.
    Here is one of many offerings..........Bob Williams

    http://www.digmypics.com/SlideScann...ning service&gclid=CLi_lPT1l5kCFQ0hDQodIURBZQ
    Bob Williams, Mar 10, 2009
  5. goldtech

    ransley Guest

    On Mar 9, 5:46 pm, goldtech <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a bunch of old 35mm slides and color and bw negatives. I want
    > to by a scanner.
    >
    > I'm looking for websites that very simply explain the process.
    >
    > I also need a recommendation for the best value in a scanner. I see
    > the Nikons but the price of admission is about 1K for that high
    > quality. Is there a unit with comparible quality for less, or least
    > one that's less $$$ and not a piece of junk...
    >
    > What is the difference between Slverfast and VueScan and Photoshop?
    >
    > What software does a scanner need besides drivers? (I assume I'll have
    > to install drivers for it.)
    >
    > What the best way to clean fingerprints and dust from old slides and
    > film?
    >
    > Real basic questions I know, and I appreciate if you can point me in
    > the right direction.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Lee G.

    I did a buch of old Kodachromes with a 3 yr old Canon MP 950 canons
    all in one. You realy dont need to spend big bucks for a good scanner
    anymore. In the last 3 years scanners have improved alot. Depending on
    camera, film, and photographer, you may not notice the difference in
    a expensive nikon scanner
    ransley, Mar 10, 2009
  6. goldtech

    Keith Nuttle Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "goldtech" <> wrote:
    >> I have a bunch of old 35mm slides and color and bw negatives. I want
    >> to by a scanner.
    >>
    >> I'm looking for websites that very simply explain the process.

    > http://www.scantips.com/
    >
    >> I also need a recommendation for the best value in a scanner. I see
    >> the Nikons but the price of admission is about 1K for that high
    >> quality. Is there a unit with comparible quality for less, or least
    >> one that's less $$$ and not a piece of junk...

    > The Nikon 5000 is very nice, and the "V" model is almost as nice.
    >
    > I've not heard of a cheap scanner that's even close. If you are doing fine
    > art prints, you need a Nikon.
    >
    > That said, if all you need is 5x7" and smaller prints, you'd probably be
    > happy with an Epson, Canon, or HP flatbed scanner. I'd look for a "4800 ppi"
    > Epson scanner with a slide scanning attachment (I'm not sure what the
    > current model number are). These scanners are nowhere near the advertized
    > resolution, so 5x7 really is the limit _for quality prints_. You'll probably
    > be happy with 8x10s from them.
    >
    >> What is the difference between Slverfast and VueScan and Photoshop?

    > Silverfast (expensive and only works on one scanner per license) and Vuescan
    > (affordable and works on many scanners) are in competition. You may not need
    > either. For scanning, Photoshop elements should be enough (you will use it
    > to adjust and prepare scans for printing or display on the web).
    >
    >> What software does a scanner need besides drivers? (I assume I'll have
    >> to install drivers for it.)

    > The scanner will come with drivers and a scanning program. After that, you
    > need a photo editing program, such as Photoshop elements. The Epson software
    > isn't great, but mostly works. (I use Vuescan with the V700.) A free copy of
    > Photoshop elements may even come with the scanner.
    >
    >> Real basic questions I know, and I appreciate if you can point me in
    >> the right direction.

    > Scantips is where to start.

    If you are scanning pictures there is no need to scan them individually.
    It speeds up the process to scan as many as you can place on the
    scanner bed. Individually or in groups they all get scanned a the same
    resolution.

    You can then go back when you have time and crop and save each picture.
    I am doing my cropping and saving as I watch TV, sort of like a person
    who knits.
    Keith Nuttle, Mar 10, 2009
  7. goldtech

    Keith Nuttle Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:
    > goldtech wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a bunch of old 35mm slides and color and bw negatives. I want
    >> to by a scanner.
    >>
    >> I'm looking for websites that very simply explain the process.
    >>
    >> I also need a recommendation for the best value in a scanner. I see
    >> the Nikons but the price of admission is about 1K for that high
    >> quality. Is there a unit with comparible quality for less, or least
    >> one that's less $$$ and not a piece of junk...
    >>
    >> What is the difference between Slverfast and VueScan and Photoshop?
    >>
    >> What software does a scanner need besides drivers? (I assume I'll have
    >> to install drivers for it.)
    >>
    >> What the best way to clean fingerprints and dust from old slides and
    >> film?
    >>
    >> Real basic questions I know, and I appreciate if you can point me in
    >> the right direction.
    >>
    >> thanks,
    >>
    >> Lee G.

    > IMHO, It is a real PIA to scan color slides. It it quite slow even after
    > you master the learning curve. After scanning about 50 slides, you get
    > bored to death with the overall process.
    > I personally recommend using one of the many vendors that offer a
    > scanning service at a VERY reasonable price. I would not consider
    > scanning slides for anyone else for 27-35 cents each, so why subject
    > yourself to the hassle. Google on SLIDE SCANNING SERVICE and you will
    > find a bunch of shops that offer to scan your slides and put them on a
    > premium CD or DVD for a mere pittance.
    > Here is one of many offerings..........Bob Williams
    >
    > http://www.digmypics.com/SlideScann...ning service&gclid=CLi_lPT1l5kCFQ0hDQodIURBZQ

    At 35 cents per slide he could buy a good slide scanner. I have over
    40000 slides that would take about 14000 to get converted.
    Keith Nuttle, Mar 10, 2009
  8. goldtech

    Mark Thomas Guest

    Matt Clara wrote:
    > "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "goldtech" <> wrote:
    >>> I have a bunch of old 35mm slides and color and bw negatives. I want
    >>> to by a scanner.
    >>>
    >>> I'm looking for websites that very simply explain the process.

    >> http://www.scantips.com/
    >>
    >>> I also need a recommendation for the best value in a scanner. I see
    >>> the Nikons but the price of admission is about 1K for that high
    >>> quality. Is there a unit with comparible quality for less, or least
    >>> one that's less $$$ and not a piece of junk...

    >> The Nikon 5000 is very nice, and the "V" model is almost as nice.
    >>
    >> I've not heard of a cheap scanner that's even close.

    > The Acer ScanWit I started out on before switching to a Nikon was really
    > quite competent. After time, though, spots started showing up in every
    > scan--a lot of spots. I was able to find instructions to clean the
    > mirror, but it didn't help. Here's comparison scan:
    >
    > http://mattclara.com/misc/8000ED-vs-Acer2720s/scanner.html
    >
    > I think it became a Ben Q after Acer sold their scanner stuff off.

    The Scanwit uses a moving CCD array, so you won't get spots, only lines.
    Any spots must have been on your slides/negs.

    It *doesn't* have a mirror - only a thin fluoro light, a lens and the
    CCD array, all in a straight optical path - so I suspect your cleaning
    memories relate to a different scanner.

    I have one sitting on my desk here, and have disassembled it once when
    the original ccd array failed (under warranty). It still works fine,
    must be nearly ten years old. The Scanwit is a surprisingly good
    scanner, with very good dynamic range and competent optics.

    If buying secondhand, beware of broken clips on the slide film holder
    (easy to fix), hot pixels in ccd array (replacement or photoshopping
    required!), and gunked up film holder drive mechanics (a little awkward
    but possible to fix).
    Mark Thomas, Mar 10, 2009
  9. goldtech

    Bob Williams Guest

    Keith Nuttle wrote:
    > Bob Williams wrote:
    >> goldtech wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I have a bunch of old 35mm slides and color and bw negatives. I want
    >>> to by a scanner.
    >>>
    >>> I'm looking for websites that very simply explain the process.
    >>>
    >>> I also need a recommendation for the best value in a scanner. I see
    >>> the Nikons but the price of admission is about 1K for that high
    >>> quality. Is there a unit with comparible quality for less, or least
    >>> one that's less $$$ and not a piece of junk...
    >>>
    >>> What is the difference between Slverfast and VueScan and Photoshop?
    >>>
    >>> What software does a scanner need besides drivers? (I assume I'll have
    >>> to install drivers for it.)
    >>>
    >>> What the best way to clean fingerprints and dust from old slides and
    >>> film?
    >>>
    >>> Real basic questions I know, and I appreciate if you can point me in
    >>> the right direction.
    >>>
    >>> thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Lee G.

    >> IMHO, It is a real PIA to scan color slides. It it quite slow even
    >> after you master the learning curve. After scanning about 50 slides,
    >> you get bored to death with the overall process.
    >> I personally recommend using one of the many vendors that offer a
    >> scanning service at a VERY reasonable price. I would not consider
    >> scanning slides for anyone else for 27-35 cents each, so why subject
    >> yourself to the hassle. Google on SLIDE SCANNING SERVICE and you will
    >> find a bunch of shops that offer to scan your slides and put them on a
    >> premium CD or DVD for a mere pittance.
    >> Here is one of many offerings..........Bob Williams
    >>
    >> http://www.digmypics.com/SlideScann...ning service&gclid=CLi_lPT1l5kCFQ0hDQodIURBZQ
    >>

    > At 35 cents per slide he could buy a good slide scanner. I have over
    > 40000 slides that would take about 14000 to get converted.

    And it would take you about 2,000 hours to do it yourself.
    If you worked 8 hours a day , 5 days a week with no vacation. it would
    take you a year to do the job.
    You would be working for about $7/hour....... :-(
    I can't imagine that you couldn't cull those 40,000 slides down to a few
    thousand keepers.
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Mar 11, 2009
  10. goldtech

    Guest

    On Mar 9, 6:46�pm, goldtech <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a bunch of old 35mm slides and color and bw negatives. I want
    > to by a scanner.
    >
    > I'm looking for websites that very simply explain the process.
    >
    > I also need a recommendation for the best value in a scanner. I see
    > the Nikons but the price of admission is about 1K for that high
    > quality. Is there a unit with comparible quality for less, or least
    > one that's less $$$ and not a piece of junk...
    >
    > What is the difference between Slverfast and VueScan and Photoshop?
    >
    > What software does a scanner need besides drivers? (I assume I'll have
    > to install drivers for it.)
    >
    > What the best way to clean fingerprints and dust from old slides and
    > film?
    >
    > Real basic questions I know, and I appreciate if you can point me in
    > the right direction.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > Lee G.

    I got an Epson Perfection V500 film and slide scanner for about $150
    at Best Buy, It does a great job, came with Photoshop Elements 6.0
    and has 0 learning curve. I did 500 slides in batches of four in
    about 4 days off and on. I'd say the average scan time was a minute
    or less. I just kept going and then edited and cleaned when all were
    done. I've been very pleased with it and was able to save some slides
    we thought were too faded or dark. The holders for the slides and
    film negatives are removable so the scanner can be used to just copy,
    although I have a copier for that. HTH
    , Mar 11, 2009