Basic routing question

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by HandyMan, Jun 18, 2007.

1. HandyMan

HandyMan

Could someone help me with a basic router setup? I thought I'd figured out all the configuration but I have hit an obstacle and not sure how to move forward.
    The setup is that I have my ISP modem connected to a Linksys switch and an output feeds f0/0 of a 2620 router (all fixed IP's are used, no DHCP).
    The s0/0 of the router connects to the s0/0 of a second 2620 router, whose f0/0 feeds a laptop.
    I have configured everything so that I can ping from the laptop all the way to the Linksys switch, but I can't ping further. Another PC connected directly to the Linksys switch can ping anywhere, right out to public IP's without problem.
    I'd appreciate some pointers if anyone can help. I'm sure this is basic information that I'm missing.
    Thanks. (See attached jpg).
    Handyman.

Attached Files:

HandyMan, Jun 18, 2007
    1. Advertising

2. HandyMan

bendsley

Why are you using multiple routers for this? You're hopping subnets is the issue it seems to me.

Why not go from ISP modem, directly into router A and then from Router A into the switch? Do you have need for router B at all?

bendsley, Jun 20, 2007
    1. Advertising

3. HandyMan

HandyMan

The reason I'm going from the Linksys router/switch unit is because there is other equipment connected to the other interfaces on that device and I need as little impact as possible, at least initially.
    Also the 2620 routers have one fixed ethernet port and one serial module each, so if ethernet is going in and out, I need to connect the two together serially. Bear in mind that this is more of a training exercise than a practical solution. I think the issue might be in the way I have set up routes in the routers, but not sure, as it seems it should work. On each router I did this:
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ipaddress
    where ipaddress is the serial interface IP on the other router. Perhaps that's where I'm slipping up, because when I do a traceroute I get looping between the serial IP addresses (ie, the traceroute output continuously alternates between one serial IP and the other).

HandyMan, Jun 20, 2007
    1. Advertising