    best to use?

    I know that these might seem like basic questions but it will help me
    get a better understanding of what these routers are fully capable of.

    arell12, Sep 6, 2006

  2. arell12

    CCIE 15766 Guest

    arell12 wrote:
    > I have a few basic questions about using cisco routers. Hopefully
    > someone can answer these for me.
    >
    > If i have a two locations with internet access through a local ISP and
    > i have an IPSEC tunnel connecting them what would I use a cisco router
    > for?

    Sorry but I do not understand what you mean. Could you plz describe
    your question further?

    > I understand that routers segment large networks and reduce network
    > traffic accross a LAN but what advantages do they provide over a WAN?

    Basically, a router provides interfaces for WAN connection (where a
    switch does not), and it also provides many QoS services for WAN (which
    may be unnecessary for LAN). Not to mention other advanced features.

    > If I had multiple location all with High speed internet connections and
    > IPsec Tunnels what purpose would the cisco routers perform? I assume
    > that the answer tothis is to route traffic but what protocol would be
    > best to use?

    The routers can be used for routing and offloading IPSec processing.
    You may run any routing protocol, or simply add some static routes.

    CCIE 15766, Sep 7, 2006