    best to use?

    I know that these might seem like basic questions but it will help me
    get a better understanding of what these routers are fully capable of.
    arell12, Sep 6, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    arell12 <> wrote:
    >I have a few basic questions about using cisco routers. Hopefully
    >someone can answer these for me.

    >If i have a two locations with internet access through a local ISP and
    >i have an IPSEC tunnel connecting them what would I use a cisco router
    >for?

    Where is the IPSec tunnel terminated?

    We ran for awhile with a media convertor converting our 1000Base-LX
    provided by our ISP into 1000Base-SX to run through our premises
    fibre, which was then plugged into our Cisco PIX firewall -- with
    no router between the firewall and the demarcation point.

    If we had been in a High Availability situation with multiple ISPs,
    we would have needed a router.

    >I understand that routers segment large networks and reduce network
    >traffic accross a LAN but what advantages do they provide over a WAN?

    It depends how complex your connections are and where you want to
    put your security. If you only have a single external connection and
    you have a seperate security gateway, then the router might end up
    more or less a media (or protocol) convertor. If you have several
    connections, then there are a lot of different tricks you can play
    with modern routers in order to try to *reliably* detect link failures
    and automatically reconfigure the traffic routing.
    Walter Roberson, Sep 6, 2006

  3. arell12

    LinkWaves Guest

    Thank you for your reply