    eachother. Anyone tell me how I would go about doing this, so that text
    automatically stayed in cell, but went underneath (if you're with me!)

    Thanks

    NG, Sep 30, 2003

  2. NG

    Stevo Guest

    > Hey all,
    >
    > This might sound like a basic question but i'm a novice when it comes
    > to Excel. All I want to do is unmerge cells so to speak. I am trying
    > to make a timetable, however when I write in one of the cells, the
    > text continues on and overlaps then next cell, instead of moving down
    > in the same cell. I have made the cells bigger so that you can fit 4
    > lines of text in them on top of eachother. Anyone tell me how I would
    > go about doing this, so that text automatically stayed in cell, but
    > went underneath (if you're with me!)
    >
    > Thanks

    Point to the cell you have the text in, right click, select Format Cells..

    On the Alignment page, check the 'Wrap Text' option..

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2009
    Stevo, Sep 30, 2003

  3. NG

    Brian H¹© Guest

    > Hey all,
    >
    > This might sound like a basic question but i'm a novice when it comes to
    > Excel. All I want to do is unmerge cells so to speak. I am trying to make a
    > timetable, however when I write in one of the cells, the text continues on
    > and overlaps then next cell, instead of moving down in the same cell. I have
    > made the cells bigger so that you can fit 4 lines of text in them on top of
    > eachother. Anyone tell me how I would go about doing this, so that text
    > automatically stayed in cell, but went underneath (if you're with me!)
    >
    > Thanks

    Format | Cells | Justify

    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2009
    Brian H¹©, Sep 30, 2003
  4. NG

    oops Guest

    oops, Sep 30, 2003
  5. NG

    Don Schmidt Guest

    In Lotus 1-2-3 its in Range properties and called "wrapping".

    --
    Don
    Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America!

    Don Schmidt, Sep 30, 2003
  6. NG

    hugh jass Guest

    The question was about Excel.
    Hope this helps, hj
    ______________________
    "Don Schmidt" <_address> wrote in message
    : In Lotus 1-2-3 its in Range properties and called "wrapping".
    :
    :
    : --
    : Don
    : Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America!
    :
    :
    : > Hey all,
    : >

    hugh jass, Sep 30, 2003
  7. NG

    Helen Guest

    >> Hey all,
    >>
    >> This might sound like a basic question but i'm a novice when it
    >> comes to Excel. All I want to do is unmerge cells so to speak. I am
    >> trying to make a timetable, however when I write in one of the
    >> cells, the text continues on and overlaps then next cell, instead of
    >> moving down in the same cell. I have made the cells bigger so that
    >> you can fit 4 lines of text in them on top of eachother. Anyone tell
    >> me how I would go about doing this, so that text automatically
    >> stayed in cell, but went underneath (if you're with me!)
    >>
    >> Thanks

    Just let it overlap until you get all your columns done.
    Then go to the Format tab, columns and click Auto Format.
    This will size the column width to the length of the longest line
    in that column.

    Helen

    ---

    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2009
    Helen, Oct 4, 2003
  8. NG

    Robbie Guest

    > >> Hey all,
    > >>
    > >> This might sound like a basic question but i'm a novice when it
    > >> comes to Excel. All I want to do is unmerge cells so to speak. I am
    > >> trying to make a timetable, however when I write in one of the
    > >> cells, the text continues on and overlaps then next cell, instead of
    > >> moving down in the same cell. I have made the cells bigger so that
    > >> you can fit 4 lines of text in them on top of eachother. Anyone tell
    > >> me how I would go about doing this, so that text automatically
    > >> stayed in cell, but went underneath (if you're with me!)
    > >>
    > >> Thanks

    > Just let it overlap until you get all your columns done.
    > Then go to the Format tab, columns and click Auto Format.
    > This will size the column width to the length of the longest line
    > in that column.
    >
    > Helen
    >

    > ---

    Or if you have changed the height of the cell, which by the sounds of it you
    have... Right click on the cell, click on format cells, select the alignment
    tab at the topof the window, and tick the wrap text button (in the middle of
    the window on the left hand side)

    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2009
    Robbie, Oct 4, 2003