Basic question - catchup versus mark all read.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Crash, Mar 3, 2005.

  1. Crash

    Crash Guest

    Greetings all,

    Since swapping from one ISP to another (no names to avoid ISP wars) using
    their respective nntp servers. I have noticed that often when I do a 'mark
    all read' for an ng all the currently-visible messages are marked as read
    (right hand pane) but the ng folder-like icon (left=hand pane) still has a
    count against it.

    I generally have all my ngs marked with a synchronise option of download all
    new messages and do a sync on my news account once a day. On the old ISP a
    mark all eliminated the count in the left-hand pane for the ng. I am using
    OE (no news/email client wars please).

    I suspect this means that the remaining ng count represents the number of
    messages new since the previous sync but already deleted by the last sync -
    i.e. messages that arrived and were deleted from the server between syncs.
    Is this correct?

    TIA,

    --

    Crash.
    Find that acronym (TIA, AFAIK etc) at www.acronymfinder.com

    Crash, Mar 3, 2005

  2. I forget the details since it hasn't come up in a while, but Outlook
    Express has a very poor message counter that is often inaccurate,
    particularly when messages are removed from the spool (or the server
    increments the article counters and never places the message there).

    IMO It should count the number of unread articles, make a guess based on
    the actual number of new messages (Above the last known article counter
    in the group), then adjust the figure down for each message it doesn't
    get details of in response to the XOVER command.

    I used OE for years, until Thunderbird came along and provided a decent
    IMAP implementation, and it never supplied accurage figures.

    Crash wrote:
    > Greetings all,
    >
    > Since swapping from one ISP to another (no names to avoid ISP wars) using
    > their respective nntp servers. I have noticed that often when I do a 'mark
    > all read' for an ng all the currently-visible messages are marked as read
    > (right hand pane) but the ng folder-like icon (left=hand pane) still has a
    > count against it.

    Xtra then, what now?

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Mar 3, 2005

  3. Crash

    SmileyFace Guest

    In news:D8zVd.6258$,
    Crash wrote:
    > Since swapping from one ISP to another (no names to avoid ISP wars)
    > using their respective nntp servers. I have noticed that often when I
    > do a 'mark all read' for an ng all the currently-visible messages are
    > marked as read (right hand pane) but the ng folder-like icon
    > (left=hand pane) still has a count against it.

    In OE language "mark all read" marks the _currently downloaded_ messages as
    read. Those that you haven't yet downloaded; i.e. older/newer messages
    still on the server; remain in the total count.

    > I generally have all my ngs marked with a synchronise option of
    > download all new messages and do a sync on my news account once a
    > day. On the old ISP a mark all eliminated the count in the left-hand
    > pane for the ng. I am using OE (no news/email client wars please).

    "Catch up" marks every message, even those you haven't downloaded yet, as
    read. If you "catch up" and subsequently want to _read_ any of those
    messages, you'll have to reset the group and reload them. Nothing to do
    with your ISP, except you may have already downloaded all they had on their
    server so it looked that way.

    HTH

    --
    Gill