    Does the heatsink only power on when it is necessary or
    is it supposed to run all the time?

    Thank you.

    Jay Peterman, Aug 28, 2004

  2. Jay Peterman

    Thor Guest

    "Jay Peterman" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:...
    > I recently replaced my power supply (400 watts) with an Antec
    > Smartpower 400 watt supply.
    >
    > I've never noticed it before but when I powered the computer up
    > the heatsink fan was not running. The case has one fan and of
    > course the power supply has another. It seems to pull air from
    > the outside and direct it to the motherboard.
    >
    > Does the heatsink only power on when it is necessary or
    > is it supposed to run all the time?

    Depends. The fan may be temperature-controlled by the motherboard. If it
    plugs into the motherboard, check your BIOS setup options and see if there
    are settings for fan control. If the fan plugs directly into the power
    supply's connectors, then the fan might be bad.

    Thor, Aug 29, 2004

  3. Jay Peterman

    Jay Peterman Guest

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:29:55 -0400, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >"Jay Peterman" <> wrote in message
    >> I recently replaced my power supply (400 watts) with an Antec
    >> Smartpower 400 watt supply.
    >>
    >> I've never noticed it before but when I powered the computer up
    >> the heatsink fan was not running. The case has one fan and of
    >> course the power supply has another. It seems to pull air from
    >> the outside and direct it to the motherboard.
    >>
    >> Does the heatsink only power on when it is necessary or
    >> is it supposed to run all the time?

    >Depends. The fan may be temperature-controlled by the motherboard. If it
    >plugs into the motherboard, check your BIOS setup options and see if there
    >are settings for fan control. If the fan plugs directly into the power
    >supply's connectors, then the fan might be bad.

    Thank you Thor. I'll check into that.

    Jay Peterman, Aug 29, 2004
  4. Jay Peterman

    WebWalker Guest

    Heatsink fan? Are you refering the CPU heatsink fan?
    It should turn on if you power up your system.
    It should be running all the time but it might stop running in standby
    mode (depend the Power Management thingy in BIOS).

    --
    WebWalker

    WebWalker, Aug 29, 2004
  5. Jay Peterman

    Jay Peterman Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 23:46:36 +0800, WebWalker
    <> wrote:

    >Heatsink fan? Are you refering the CPU heatsink fan?
    >It should turn on if you power up your system.
    >It should be running all the time but it might stop running in standby
    >mode (depend the Power Management thingy in BIOS)

    It wasn't working when I powered up the computer. I'm going to check
    the BIOS. Thanks.

    Jay Peterman, Aug 29, 2004