    good enough?
    Thanks, weird question I guess
    Frank

    Frank, May 13, 2005

  2. The wireless computer is connected to your LAN as you describe.

    Unless you secure the wireless, then anyone can get on your LAN easily.
    If someone is on the LAN, might they be able to put a key stroke logger on
    your desktop?
    If someone is on the LAN, might they be able to monitor messages on the
    network?
    I don't know the answers to these questions very clearly but it would
    concern *me*.

    So, make the wireless part of the LAN be not easily accessible.
    Use MAC filtering just because it makes it harder to access the LAN.
    Turn off SSID if you can and type the ID into each computer (the laptop and
    the router). I'm not sure you can shut off SSID if you use XP on the
    laptop.
    You could use WEP but it's crackable.
    I recommend WPA if your router and cards support it. Better still, WPA2 but
    it's not really available yet it seems.

    Fred

    Fred Marshall, May 13, 2005

  3. Frank

    Guest

    Fred Marshall wrote:
    > If someone is on the LAN, might they be able to monitor
    > messages on the network?

    They would have to have a client wireless card that supports
    promiscuous mode. Mine does not. I don't know if others do.

    > Turn off SSID if you can and type the ID into each computer
    > (the laptop and the router). I'm not sure you can shut off
    > SSID if you use XP on the laptop.

    My client wireless card comes with its own wireless management
    software, which does allow us to the SSID for the network of
    interest.

    And according to XP help, you can set the SSID in the Preferred
    Networks list in the Wireless Network Connection Properties.

    , May 13, 2005
  4. Frank

    Guest

    Frank wrote:
    > Thanks, weird question I guess

    Not at all. I have exactly the same circumstances,
    and I asked myself the same questions.

    > If I have a cable modem connected to a wireless router
    > Linksys WRT54GS 11g.

    Me, too.

    > Since the Desktop is
    > hardwired to the router, does the wireless aspect of security
    > (or lack of) still enter into the picture?

    Not exactly. What I mean is: someone "sniffing" the wireless
    network signal should not see bits that are transmitted over
    the wired connection, even though it is the same subnet. With
    one caveat: any broadcasts over the wired connection might
    appear on the wireless signal. But HTTPS traffic is unicast.

    But as someone else pointed out, someone might be able to
    send packets to your wired computer over the wireless network.
    I suspect that XP Pro is more vulnerable than XP Home. I
    believe that XP Pro supports some remote access protocols.
    I don't know if XP Home does.

    (I have not yet experimented to see which remote access
    protocols, if any, I can disable with my firewall, and the
    system will continue to function properly.)

    > I am so very paranoid of this wireless stuff

    As you should be.

    > I can follow all the stuff I read and find about wireless
    > security, is this good enough?

    IMHO, it is. I presume you took the following precautions,
    at least: chose a non-default and clever password for the
    Linksys admin; chose a non-default SSID name; chose Passphrase
    authetication, at least, and chose a clever Passphrase; disabled
    SSID broadcast. Someone else mentioned MAC address filtering.
    I did not want to go that far, since I have visitors who want
    to use the network.

    , May 13, 2005
  5. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Thanks Joeu
    Why do people (mainly Fred) who have the knowledge to answer a question feel
    they have to give a smartass answer before the actual answer? Sorry if my
    question wasn't up to standards. Ask me a question about digital recording
    and you'll get an answer, not some smartass crap first.Again Fred!
    Anyway, I do have wap capable hardware, but from these answers I think I may
    send it all back to newegg. And you CAN disable all the remote access
    services in XP Pro, through XP Pro
    Thanks,
    Frank

    Frank, May 13, 2005
  6. Frank

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    Bear in mind that though the same word Security is used to describe Secure
    Internet Connection and Secure Wireless from a Computer functioning
    perspective there is No relation between the two.
    Wireless Security has Nothing to do with securing the Internet Connection.
    Wireless is just a replacement for a Wire and thus can be intercepted by
    people in the neighborhood attaching them self to your Signal and use your
    LAN and your LAN's Internet Connection. To avoid Local Tapping there are
    Wireless Security measures. These measures are unique to the Wireless
    components, and have to be used even if there is No Internet Connection.
    These short pages describe the basic principles of functional Wireless
    Security.
    WEP, WPA, and the Future - http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    Network Segregation - http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html
    Internet Security.
    Cable/DSL Router Hardware NAT and Firewall/AntiVirus/AntiSpy applications
    are the ones that protect the Internet connection from being
    invaded/infested, and preventing your LAN computers (Wired and Wireless)
    from transmitting out to the Internet privileged information.
    All the computers (as a Network) would have basic Internet protection by
    using a Cable/DSL Router. In addition, each computer on your Network that
    has access to the Internet should have its own Internet Connection
    protection regardless of whether it uses Wire or Wireless.
    Internet -Basic protection: http://www.ezlan.net/firewall.html
    Assemble Freeware Security suit for Internet Connection:
    http://www.ezlan.net/security.html
    In addition you should have tools available to clean your computers if they
    get Infested with Internet "Junk".
    Internet Infestation: http://www.ezlan.net/infestation.html
    Basic Steps in cleaning Internet "Junk" - http://www.ezlan.net/clean.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, May 13, 2005
  7. Frank

    Fitz Guest

    It seems like Fred gave good advice in his reply. I didn't see anything
    smartass about it. He answered your questions and made suggestions.

    Fitz, May 13, 2005
  8. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Ok Fine. I guess we all interpet things differently. I just have had this
    experience somewhere else and I thought it was crap. Never got over it. I
    guess I was tainted. I'm over it now!
    Thank you Fred for your inputFrank

    Frank, May 13, 2005
  9. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Thanks, I guess their is no Sure fire answer to: is it possible to be
    totally secure(secure as no home wireless network) and do online banking. I
    protect and monitor my computer with care and determination. I use zone
    alrm, NAV, spwareguard (free, fabulous program) and adware professional. I
    run spybot frequently. I have not had a problem at all since I started this
    serious approach (about 3 years) This is part of the reason I am so paranoid
    about wireless in my home?
    thanks again to all who replied, it's greatly appreciated
    Frank

    Frank, May 13, 2005
  10. Frank

    Fitz Guest

    No problem. There are some newsgroups where things really get out of hand
    and results in name calling and threats. Some of those posts seem like they
    go on forever like the energizer bunny. They just never stop once they get
    going...they just get worse. In those posts, you can really tell a lot by a
    person's vocabulary.

    Fitz, May 13, 2005
  11. Frank

    Fitz Guest

    I don't think it's possible to be totally secure in anything regarding
    computers. You can make it so difficult for intruders that it's not worth
    their time or energy. I also use a wireless setup. I have 4 computers (3
    wireless). I use WEP 128 (have to use WEP 'cause one of the computers is
    WIN98), MAC address filtering and DHCP set to give no more IP addresses than
    the four that have been issued.

    I also use various free monitoring tools to routinely scan my network to
    make sure all is well. I have ports locked down except for the ones I need
    open and I have strong passwords on everything. That said, I routinely use
    online banking and brokerage services without qualms. I run virus scans
    weekly along with scumware scans. I have had no problems but I'm still
    alert.

    Good luck

    Fitz, May 13, 2005
  12. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Thanks much Fitz, I will endeavor to do the same. I have no problem being
    alert, I am somewhat neurotic when it comes to safety and security, I
    consider that a good thing in this day and age, sad as it is!
    regards
    Frank

    Frank, May 13, 2005
  13. Frank

    Frank Guest

    fitz,
    Since I am unsure of which ports to block and my isp assigns my IP address,
    I have , it seems, talked myself out of the wireless setup. :-( I will
    probably just hold on to the router&notebook card for another day. That's
    what I get for asking so many questions.
    Frank

    Frank, May 14, 2005
  14. Frank

    Fitz Guest

    If you're running a firewall, antivirus, and antispyware...you should be in
    good shape (assuming you're up to date on definitions). Most routers use
    NAT (Network Address Translation) to operate. That in itself is a type of
    firewall and means your computer is hidden from the internet. XP comes with
    a built in firewall (SP2). If you're not comfortable with XP's firewall,
    there are other software firewalls available for free or little charge as
    well as antivirus programs.

    Typically the firewall and router by default, BLOCK the ports that you don't
    need. If you run a program that requires a BLOCKED port, XP's firewall (and
    most others) will alert you to the fact that a program attempted to access a
    blocked port. The firewall will ask you what you want to do...e.g. continue
    to block or allow (or something along those lines).

    Most computers are infected by opening file attachments in email or
    downloading files from questionable sources. There are other fancy ways to
    get slammed but practice "safe hex" with browser settings, etc. and you
    should be fine. As I said, no computer is 100% safe all the time. The
    trick is to make them so difficult to hack into that it's not worth the time
    to try. It's just like a lock on your house. The better the lock is,
    stronger, longer bolt, reinforced frame...the harder it is to break in. Not
    impossible but enough to discourage all but the most determined. Bank
    vaults are difficult to break into...but not impossible.

    Good luck.

    Fitz, May 14, 2005
  15. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Hey Fitz,
    I use ZoneAlarm and NAV. (for many years now. Never had a virus. I know
    windows real well, wireless networks, not much it seems. I set up a small
    network at work. WITH WIRES :) Small DC with 10 workstations, W2K Server,
    mixed mode. Active directory, etc. I can do the Mac filtering and change all
    the generic settings in the router. I also can use wap and configue it, both
    my router and notebook card support it. The encryption, 128 Bit, that seems
    pretty secure? I only need the network to learn (as I am talking to you guys
    on this NG) I searched for some material on what the jerks that try to steal
    stuff actually do. Knowing that would make it easier to defend. Seems it
    would be tough for them to log in to your network with security mentioned
    above. Do they try to drop packets that send info back to them? Or steal or
    intercept packets? Is that the scam? Somewhere along the line I got spooked
    I guess about wireless.
    Thanks for your input
    Frank

    Frank, May 14, 2005
  16. Frank

    Fitz Guest

    ZoneAlarm is a good firewall. WPA is better encryption than WEP...if you
    can, use WPA. Change the generic settings, e.g. router password, SSID etc.
    While no single thing that I mentioned in previous posts will be the silver
    bullet, all of them together will come close. Make passwords difficult and
    every now and then, change them.

    Hackers try to sniff wireless packets in order to gain enough info to crack
    your encryption. This takes literally thousands of packets. The stronger
    the encryption, the tougher it is. Also remember that wireless router
    transmissions don't travel very far...that can be a good thing too.

    Fitz, May 14, 2005
  17. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Hey Fitz,
    I am going to give it a try today. I really appreciate you taking the time
    like you have to help a "very paranoid" person.I truly would love to sit on
    my porch with my laptop and do some work. Your advice(and Freds also at the
    beginning) have convinced me that I can come pretty darn close to being as
    secure as I am now(without the wireless)
    Thanks again
    Frank

    Frank, May 14, 2005
  18. Frank

    Frank Guest

    Sorry, I should say thanks to all who replied,
    Thanks
    Frank

    Frank, May 14, 2005
  19. Frank

    Fitz Guest

    Good luck. If you need more help...post back. I'll be outta town for a
    week (without internet access) but others in this group are more than
    willing to help if you run into a snag.

    Fitz, May 14, 2005