    the two computers talking would be great!!

    thanks!

    , Jun 2, 2007

  2. Barb Bowman Guest

    1. what brand and model "wireless modem router" (and where did u buy
    it?)
    2. you state you can't change the settings on this device. what
    stops you?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jun 2, 2007

  3. Hi
    You need at least one computer connected to the Router with cable.
    Why? http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#onewire
    Once you configure the Router via the wire, you can configure the Wireless
    part.
    The Router is not an active device concerning File Sharing between
    computers. When all computers are capable to connect to the Router you have
    to set the Sharing settings on all computers.
    This might help with Wireless setting.
    As far as sharing goes.
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Basic XP -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 2, 2007
  4. Guest

    hey thanks for the reply!

    my main computer is connected with the cat-5 cable that came with the
    router, but my computer doesnt even see the connection as a router -
    it only says its connecting to a LAN through my Gigabit extreme
    ethernet connection - no mention about any other kind of device. the
    problem im having at the moment isnt with my second computer not being
    set up right to access the wireless network - it cant even recognise
    that there is a wireless router sitting right next to it! my other
    computer's wireless is an ASUS WL-138G adaptor. the only thing that
    was close to being the setup for the router was when i entered a
    specific IP adress (assumeably for the router) in mozilla it said set
    up adsl. when i did this it said adsl not connected before closing the
    window (i dont have adsl 2+ connected just yet - will this be why?).
    is there a special progam i need to download to set up the router so
    the computer can see it?

    thanks!

    , Jun 3, 2007
  5. Barb Bowman Guest

    what brand and model wireless router? many have wizard based as well
    s manual setups.

    Barb Bowman, Jun 3, 2007
  6. Hi
    The computers do not recognize the Router or the Wireless part of the
    Router as special device, the Router it just another network device with
    is own IP number.
    If you type into the Address Bar of the Internet Browser the IP number of
    the Router, you should get the Router's Menu interface (Read your Router's
    manual) including the Wireless setup system.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jun 3, 2007
  7. Guest

    On Jun 3, 8:18 pm, Barb Bowman <> wrote:
    > what brand and model wireless router? many have wizard based as well
    > s manual setups.
    >

    > On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 02:08:59 -0700, wrote:
    > >hey thanks for the reply!

    > >my main computer is connected with the cat-5 cable that came with the
    > >router, but my computer doesnt even see the connection as a router -
    > >it only says its connecting to a LAN through my Gigabit extreme
    > >ethernet connection - no mention about any other kind of device. the
    > >problem im having at the moment isnt with my second computer not being
    > >set up right to access the wireless network - it cant even recognise
    > >that there is a wireless router sitting right next to it! my other
    > >computer's wireless is an ASUS WL-138G adaptor. the only thing that
    > >was close to being the setup for the router was when i entered a
    > >specific IP adress (assumeably for the router) in mozilla it said set
    > >up adsl. when i did this it said adsl not connected before closing the
    > >window (i dont have adsl 2+ connected just yet - will this be why?).
    > >is there a special progam i need to download to set up the router so
    > >the computer can see it?

    > >thanks!

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP
    > Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnisthttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/- Hide quoted text -

    its a netgear DG834G v3. im pretty sure it just has the webpage setup
    - as when i put in the cd a mozilla page came up.

    , Jun 4, 2007
  8. Barb Bowman Guest

    Rather than use the CD, from the computer that is plugged in - open
    a web browser and go to http://192.168.0.1 (some routers will not
    let you do thius over wireless, as a security precaution so use the
    computer that is wired)

    Netgea uses admin for the user name
    and password by the default - if you changed this, use what you
    changed it to.

    From the web page, you should be able to view and change settings.

    Now, you need to setup the wireless. You need to change the SSID to
    something unique and not personal. And you should setup security.
    Use WPA2 if all computers support it, otherwise use WPA. WEP is not
    safe.

    Please see if you can get this far. Test each computer and see if it
    can connect to the Internet.

    Barb Bowman, Jun 4, 2007
  9. Guest

    On Jun 4, 6:58 pm, Barb Bowman <> wrote:
    > Rather than use the CD, from the computer that is plugged in - open
    > a web browser and go tohttp://192.168.0.1(some routers will not
    > let you do thius over wireless, as a security precaution so use the
    > computer that is wired)
    >
    > Netgea uses admin for the user name
    > and password by the default - if you changed this, use what you
    > changed it to.
    >
    > From the web page, you should be able to view and change settings.
    >
    > Now, you need to setup the wireless. You need to change the SSID to
    > something unique and not personal. And you should setup security.
    > Use WPA2 if all computers support it, otherwise use WPA. WEP is not
    > safe.
    >
    > Please see if you can get this far. Test each computer and see if it
    > can connect to the Internet.
    >
    > On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 17:21:45 -0700, wrote:
    >
    > >its a netgear DG834G v3. im pretty sure it just has the webpage setup
    > >- as when i put in the cd a mozilla page came up.

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP
    > Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnisthttp://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspxhttp://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

    hey guys thank u all for ur help, but its still too deep for me so iv
    decided to get a pro to do it! but thank u all ur help was really
    appreiciated!

    , Jun 7, 2007