    or do i just plug in one.

    thanks for advice

    gerald
    Ged, Sep 26, 2003

  2. Ged

    Slackly Guest

    Remove the hub. Connect the router to your WAN access source. Plug your
    3 computers directly into the router. Configure the router to provide
    the LAN IP addresses via DHCP and your computers to accept their IP
    addresses from the router.

    That should get you going.

    If you add more computers than the number of available router ports,
    then the hub, (or a switch) can be added behind the router to accomodate
    this.

    Slackly, Sep 26, 2003

  3. Remove the hub and use the router as connection sharer there will be a
    instalation guide where it wil be told to you how to install

    Maarten Hendrix [Systemec.nl], Sep 26, 2003
  4. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:bl11o7$qgk$,
    Ged <> typed
    || I'm on a small peer to peer Lan Cat 5 consisting of 3 computers and
    || a hub Winxp installed on all 3 pc's.
    || I'm using internet connection sharing at the moment so all pc's have
    || web access.
    || but shortly i'm going to buy a small router with 4 port switch.
    || I'm not quite sure where to place the router on the network and any
    || help would be appreciated. Do i have to remove the hub and replace
    || with the router?
    || and do all 3 pc's have to be plugged in to the router
    || or do i just plug in one.

    Well, you need to ask yourself, as I'm asking, "Why are you buying a
    router"?

    As far as where it goes on your network you must first understand what a
    router does... hence the first question.

    Your network doesn't need a router... unless you want to put 2 of your
    computers on a different subnet than the other.

    Of course you could use your router as a replacement for your hub, meaning
    your hub would no longer be needed, or...

    What sort of internet connection are you sharing? If it's a cable or DSL
    connection the router could be used to share that connection with your other
    PCs.

    ---
    Message has been scanned and is, to the best of my knowledge, Virus Free.
    Robert de Brus, Sep 26, 2003
  5. Ged

    Ged Guest

    Thanks for the help guys but i may have a small prob if i remove the hub and
    replace with the router.
    because the hub is upstairs away from the telephone line.
    I have 2 computers upstairs and my broadband pc is downstairs. would i get
    away with patching the router into
    the downstairs data point and leave the 4 port hub where is.

    Ged, Sep 26, 2003
  6. Ged

    Ged Guest

    I need a router basically so i don't have to switch on all 3 machines to
    access the net.
    Ged, Sep 26, 2003
  7. Ged

    Ged Guest

    "Robert de Brus" < wrote in>

    > Well, you need to ask yourself, as I'm asking, "Why are you buying a
    > router"?

    Answer to that is so only one pc needs to be on to access the net. example
    the one upstairs only.
    Ged, Sep 26, 2003
  8. Yes

    Maarten Hendrix [Systemec.nl], Sep 26, 2003
  9. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:bl14qe$oqb$,
    Ged <> typed
    || I need a router basically so i don't have to switch on all 3
    || machines to access the net.

    But you don't need to do that anyway. All you need is the one that's
    actually sharing the connection.

    ---
    Message has been scanned and is, to the best of my knowledge, Virus Free.
    Robert de Brus, Sep 26, 2003
  10. Ged

    Ged Guest

    I download from the pc upstairs which is not the gateway machine.

    Ged, Sep 26, 2003
  11. Ged

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 20:10:18 +1000, "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a
    i l.com> wrote:

    >In news:bl11o7$qgk$,
    >Ged <> typed
    >|| I'm on a small peer to peer Lan Cat 5 consisting of 3 computers and
    >|| a hub Winxp installed on all 3 pc's.

    <snip>

    >|| I'm not quite sure where to place the router on the network and any
    >|| help would be appreciated. Do i have to remove the hub and replace
    >|| with the router?
    >|| and do all 3 pc's have to be plugged in to the router
    >|| or do i just plug in one.
    >
    >Well, you need to ask yourself, as I'm asking, "Why are you buying a
    >router"?
    >
    >As far as where it goes on your network you must first understand what a
    >router does... hence the first question.
    >
    >Your network doesn't need a router... unless you want to put 2 of your
    >computers on a different subnet than the other.

    <snip>

    Ignore all that crap from Robert de Brus.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Sep 26, 2003
  12. Ged

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:41:41 +0100, Ged wrote:

    >I'm on a small peer to peer Lan Cat 5 consisting of 3 computers and a hub
    >Winxp installed on all 3 pc's.
    >I'm using internet connection sharing at the moment so all pc's have web
    >access.
    >but shortly i'm going to buy a small router with 4 port switch.
    >
    >I'm not quite sure where to place the router on the network and any help
    >would be appreciated. Do i have to remove the hub and replace with the
    >router?
    >and do all 3 pc's have to be plugged in to the router
    >or do i just plug in one.

    Here are a few URLs, in addition to your other replies.

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/
    http://www.wown.com/

    Me
    why?, Sep 26, 2003
  13. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:,
    why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> typed
    ||| In news:bl11o7$qgk$,
    ||| Ged <> typed
    || <snip>
    ||| Well, you need to ask yourself, as I'm asking, "Why are you buying a
    ||| router"?
    ||| As far as where it goes on your network you must first understand
    ||| what a router does... hence the first question.
    ||| Your network doesn't need a router... unless you want to put 2 of
    ||| your computers on a different subnet than the other.
    || <snip>
    || Ignore all that crap from Robert de Brus.

    Goose!

    You'd sell someone something they don't need.

    || <snip>
    || Me

    You

    ---
    Message has been scanned and is, to the best of my knowledge, Virus Free.
    Robert de Brus, Sep 27, 2003
  14. Ged

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 10:09:55 +1000, "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a
    i l.com> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> typed
    >|| <snip>

    It's 2 different networks. The ISPs and the networked PCs at home. Hence
    a router to connect them together.

    >|| <snip>
    >|| Ignore all that crap from Robert de Brus.
    >
    >Goose!
    >
    >You'd sell someone something they don't need.

    That makes less sense than you trying to answer the OPs question.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Sep 27, 2003
  15. Ged

    Mara Guest

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 14:09:07 GMT, why? wrote:

    >On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 10:09:55 +1000, "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a
    >i l.com> wrote:

    <snip>

    >It's 2 different networks. The ISPs and the networked PCs at home. Hence
    >a router to connect them together.

    Yep. That's how I do it - multiple networked systems, through a router to the
    ISP. Simple, very easy, very quick, stable as hell.

    >>Goose!
    >>
    >>You'd sell someone something they don't need.

    >That makes less sense than you trying to answer the OPs question.

    Careful. He might start whining again, after being contradicted.

    "That's what he's best at."

    --
    If it adjusts their attitude towards the desired goal, then it's a LART,
    even if it doesn't leave blood stains." -- Paul Tomblin
    Mara, Sep 27, 2003
  16. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:p,
    why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> typed
    ||| In news:,
    ||| why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> typed
    || It's 2 different networks. The ISPs and the networked PCs at home.
    || Hence a router to connect them together.

    You're a loon!

    The computer connected to the ISP *IS* the router, you tool.

    ||| Goose!
    ||| You'd sell someone something they don't need.
    || That makes less sense than you trying to answer the OPs question.

    The original post, with the limited info provided, didn't need a router.

    ---
    Message has been scanned and is, to the best of my knowledge, Virus Free.
    Robert de Brus, Sep 28, 2003
  17. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:,
    Mara <> typed
    || On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 14:09:07 GMT, why? wrote:
    || <snip>
    ||| It's 2 different networks. The ISPs and the networked PCs at home.
    ||| Hence
    ||| a router to connect them together.
    || Yep. That's how I do it - multiple networked systems, through a
    || router to the ISP. Simple, very easy, very quick, stable as hell.

    Multiple networked systems? I doubt it.

    What IP addessing schemes are you using on these multiple networks you have
    connected to your router?

    I'm really interested to know.

    ||| That makes less sense than you trying to answer the OPs question.
    || Careful. He might start whining again, after being contradicted.
    || "That's what he's best at."

    When you know what you're talking about you'll stop looking like suck a
    fool.

    ||| <snip>
    ||| Me

    Her