Basic LocalDirector question

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by SS, Dec 16, 2004.

  1. SS

    SS Guest

    Hi there,
    I hope this is a basic question for those of you familiar with
    localdirectors.

    I have two virtual servers each bound to the same two real servers for ports
    80 and 443.
    From a workstation, I can connect to the virtual servers seemingly without
    any problems. However, when I get onto the console of any one of the real
    servers and try to browse or telnet to port 80 on one of the virtual
    servers, it seems to connect only about 30% of the time. ICMP is disabled
    for the localdirector, and I have no special settings on the real server's
    NICs. They are using properties (DNS, gateway, etc) as assigned by DHCP.
    Each real server has only one NIC. The virtual servers and the real servers
    are set up in DNS with A records.

    Any idea why I'm having these intermittent problems connecting to a virtual
    server from one of the member (real) servers? I had a feeling this had
    something to do with a masquerading issue -- that the real server's response
    wasn't going back through the local director and thus wasn't appearing as if
    it came from the virtual server. I just don't know where to go from here
    (how to verify or further troubleshoot).

    Has anyone seen this before?

    Thanks very much for any help,
    Steve

    SS, Dec 16, 2004

  2. SS

    Wil Schultz Guest

    The Local Director cannot direct traffic that does not pass through the
    device. If you are on the inside and try to go to the VIP it will try to
    redirect off the same interface, which won't work. Traffic must travel
    from the outside interface, through the LD, and out the inside
    interface. Well, it doesn't really matter which is the inside interface
    and which is the outside interface, as long as traffic doesn't come and
    go off the same interface. You get the idea... ;)

    Wil
    my 3ยข

    "When everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked
    something."

    Wil Schultz, Dec 16, 2004