basic info - long(ish)

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by geepeetee, Mar 25, 2006.

  1. geepeetee

    geepeetee Guest

    Hi

    Still not got anywhere with this network, I need some basic info.

    If anyone can tell me or direct me to a site that explains what these mean I
    would be grateful:

    Firstly, I have a desktop used as the main pc and connecting to the internet
    via dial up (dlink pci card) also a laptop using dlink pcmcia card. Both
    machines use xp and SP2, cards are installed ok, no ghosts and detect other
    networks in the neighbourhood (they are secure and I cant connect).

    Clicking on wireless networks connection properties, "wireless networks" and
    "add"

    Association tab

    SSID - I assume this is the network name (default is MSHOME when using the
    wizard I think)

    Network Authentication - Does this want to be open or shared?

    Data encryption - Wants to be disabled initially until network is
    established I think

    Network key - I think this is in effect the password to connect?

    Key index - Don't know?

    Computer to Computer (Ad hoc) - In my case this wants a tick in it I think

    Authentication tab

    "Enable IEEE802.1.x" - ticked or not?

    Authenticate as a computer - ticked or not?

    Authenticate as a guest - ticked or not?

    Would correctly completing these steps on both machines create a network
    that either machine would detect and show in the "available networks" window

    cheers

    Gary

    --
    Visit my websites at
    www.justjents.co.uk
    geepeetee, Mar 25, 2006

  2. geepeetee

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    I do not think that I can understand what is the make is up of your network.

    What is the Internet Source? If it is Dialup then where is the Modem, and
    what it is connected to (D-Link PCI card does not seem to be the Modem).

    What does the Routing for the two computer? ICS, Hardware Router, something
    else?

    Do you have Wireless? If yes what is the Wireless source (Wireless Cable/DSL
    Router, Access Point, Ad-Hoc connetion), and where are the client Cards
    installed, (The Laptop PCMCIA is Wireless)?

    SSID is the ID (name) of the Wireless part; it has nothing to do with the
    Network name, you can choose whatever you like.

    IEEE802.1.x should be disable when using regular home network.

    The classical Home network that comprised of Cable or DSL Internet
    Connection usually looks like this, http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg

    This page has info about setting a Network,
    http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html

    These pages have info about setting Wireless Network Connection.

    Wireless, Basic Configuration: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html

    Wireless Security: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

    There are many more pages with basic information here, http://www.ezlan.net

    Jack (MVP-Networking).