Basic home network setup, stumped!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by karlengel@excite.com, Feb 19, 2009.

  1. Guest

    I'm trying to stream music via my wifi connection from one laptop to
    another
    within my house. Both have wi-fi. The one with the music files has XP
    and is often plugged directly to the modem/router, the receiving
    computer
    has XP Pro. I have instructions to do this with both iTunes and
    WMP11.
    Following the instructions for iTunes straight off the bat hasn't
    worked - I
    gather first, the two computers need to be networked.

    Two issues:
    I've run the Network Setup Wizard on the host computer, up to the
    "You're
    almost done " stage where none of the options seems correct. It says I
    need
    to run the Wizard on the other computer, and if it's not running XP
    (it is)
    I can use the XP installation disc or a Network Setup Disk. The
    options are
    Create a NSD
    Use the disk I already have
    Use my XP CD
    Just finish the wizard, I don't need to run the wizard on other
    computers.

    Well surely I do need to run it on the other computer, and I shouldn't
    need
    to create a disk or use an existing disk because the other computer
    has XP,
    so none seems appropriate. I chose the last one in any case.

    Secondly:
    The "receiving" computer (XP Pro) does not offer Network Setup Wizard
    at all
    amongst its Settings>Network Connections options.
    Also in its "Create a new connection" it does not offer wi-fi as one
    of the
    options, only Modem (I assume it means dial-up as there's a phone
    icon),
    Infrared and Direct Parallel.

    , Feb 19, 2009

  2. Guest

    , Feb 19, 2009

  3. DNA Guest

    wrote:
    > I'm trying to stream music via my wifi connection from one laptop to
    > another
    > within my house. Both have wi-fi. The one with the music files has XP
    > and is often plugged directly to the modem/router, the receiving
    > computer
    > has XP Pro. I have instructions to do this with both iTunes and
    > WMP11.
    > Following the instructions for iTunes straight off the bat hasn't
    > worked - I
    > gather first, the two computers need to be networked.
    >
    > Two issues:
    > I've run the Network Setup Wizard on the host computer, up to the
    > "You're
    > almost done " stage where none of the options seems correct. It says I
    > need
    > to run the Wizard on the other computer, and if it's not running XP
    > (it is)
    > I can use the XP installation disc or a Network Setup Disk. The
    > options are
    > Create a NSD
    > Use the disk I already have
    > Use my XP CD
    > Just finish the wizard, I don't need to run the wizard on other
    > computers.
    >
    > Well surely I do need to run it on the other computer, and I shouldn't
    > need
    > to create a disk or use an existing disk because the other computer
    > has XP,
    > so none seems appropriate. I chose the last one in any case.
    >
    > Secondly:
    > The "receiving" computer (XP Pro) does not offer Network Setup Wizard
    > at all
    > amongst its Settings>Network Connections options.
    > Also in its "Create a new connection" it does not offer wi-fi as one
    > of the
    > options, only Modem (I assume it means dial-up as there's a phone
    > icon),
    > Infrared and Direct Parallel.

    Is the 'Workgroup' identical on both machines?

    Is 'file and printer sharing' enabled on either or both machines?

    Can you ping successfully from one or both machines?

    Have you assigned an IP for each machine (static rather than DHCP)?

    DNA, Feb 19, 2009