basic connection question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Hp, Aug 16, 2010.

  1. Hp

    Hp Guest

    I tried to help someone out over the weekend, they had a 2001 vintage
    DELL die on them. I had enough older parts collecting dust that I could
    revive a working PC and offered it to them.
    most of the hardware was about that vintage but all working. But the is
    Murphy's law and it reared its little head and struck the best laid
    plans of mice and men.

    hears the 411, AMD XP 1900+cpu, compatible ASUS MB, 1.3g ram, 350W
    power supply, all probably vintage 2001-2002, but still functional.
    PC fires up and I was allowed to install a test copy of XP PRO, once
    the MB and video card drivers were installed everything seemed just
    fine. (drivers were all off the original CD's)

    Loaded network card drivers. PC would do everything as it should while
    all this was going on, Ok, Lets see if XP will update,
    Plug in a network cord and basically IE6 didn't go anywhere. I thought I
    answered all the 'lets make a connection' wizard questions rightly, but
    no joy in Mudville.
    Humm, after exhausting the Old brain, I drew blanks as to a possible
    cause, So I tried something else.
    I then pointed the revived PC in question at the main PC that was
    already online, and also sharing several folders with another PC
    connected to the same netgear switch.
    Sure enough I could see the shared folder on the main PC. this was my
    first inkling that maybe the network card might be working.
    SO I finally remembered to try using the command prompt on the revived
    assemblage of old parts and tried pinging www.yahoo.com, that was nice,
    sure looked like it did what it should, so I then pinged the main PC's
    URL, ditto, results as expected if it were connecting. So I then tried
    to copy over from the main PC a file to the acting up PC, that worked.

    Why IE6? that is the default IE installed with the CD's I had available
    to me at this time.

    OK, so the person that had a dead DELL came over and we discovered that
    they didn't have a copy of XP that they could legally install on the
    stuff I had.
    So I cleaned off the temp install of XP and installed a working copy of
    win 2000 pro SP2 on the HD.

    It too did as expected, we installed the OS, the MB drivers, the video
    card drivers, and the network card drivers.

    ONLY to run into the SAME darn problem, repeated all the steps I tried
    with XP to gain access to the internet, Ping? worked, ipconfig results
    looked right, local file sharing, that worked too.

    I know there is something I'm am Not Seeing (too many senior moments?)
    but for the life of me at this time I can't figure out what is the roadblock

    We tested with a minimum configuration, Only the OS and needed drivers
    to run the PC as it was built. Something in windows seems to be blocking
    internet traffic but allowing local file sharing.

    IE6 in both cases XP, and 2000 Pro, reported 'web site found' but
    nothing filled the screen with web site content.
    (THIS also means NO access to the MS update service)

    So I changed ports the network cord was feeding to the netgear switch,
    no improvements, I tried plugging an old lappy into the cord, it zipped
    right thru and browse the internet just fine,

    All I can think of is something here either in my netgear switch (NO URL
    access to that critter, its only a data switch not a full blown router
    with a URL to access any setup inside it, I got it because of the KISS
    principal, simple to use, simple to setup.) We do the firewall thingy
    in each PC hooked up thru it. Or maybe something in the DSL
    router/modem, but all I could find out there was that it looked like the
    revived PC was seen by the DSL hardware just like it was seeing the
    other PC's hooked up, so there did not seem to be anything I needed to
    change or access in the DSL hardware that was keeping the door closed.

    At this time, the unit works just fine as a standalone PC, and if the
    user wants to file share in a local network it will do that too.
    BUT use IE6 to go touring the internet, fagetabout it!

    Any ideas on what I might have missed checking??

    Thanks!
    Hp, Aug 16, 2010

  2. Hp

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 18:01:56 -0400, Hp wrote:

> [...]
    >
    > All I can think of is something here either in my netgear switch (NO URL
    > access to that critter, its only a data switch not a full blown router
    > with a URL to access any setup inside it, I got it because of the KISS
    > principal, simple to use, simple to setup.) We do the firewall thingy
    > in each PC hooked up thru it. Or maybe something in the DSL
    > router/modem, but all I could find out there was that it looked like the
    > revived PC was seen by the DSL hardware just like it was seeing the
    > other PC's hooked up, so there did not seem to be anything I needed to
    > change or access in the DSL hardware that was keeping the door closed.
    >
    > At this time, the unit works just fine as a standalone PC, and if the
    > user wants to file share in a local network it will do that too. BUT use
    > IE6 to go touring the internet, fagetabout it!
    >
    > Any ideas on what I might have missed checking??

    I have no idea what your problem is. Would you mind getting to the point?

    Meat Plow, Aug 16, 2010

  3. Hp

    chuckcar Guest

    Hp <> wrote in news:i4ccgi$p6j$:

    > I tried to help someone out over the weekend, they had a 2001 vintage
    > DELL die on them. I had enough older parts collecting dust that I
    > could revive a working PC and offered it to them.
    > most of the hardware was about that vintage but all working. But the
    > is Murphy's law and it reared its little head and struck the best laid
    > plans of mice and men.
    >
    > hears the 411, AMD XP 1900+cpu, compatible ASUS MB, 1.3g ram, 350W
    > power supply, all probably vintage 2001-2002, but still functional.
    > PC fires up and I was allowed to install a test copy of XP PRO, once
    > the MB and video card drivers were installed everything seemed just
    > fine. (drivers were all off the original CD's)
    >
    > Loaded network card drivers. PC would do everything as it should
    > while all this was going on, Ok, Lets see if XP will update,
    > Plug in a network cord and basically IE6 didn't go anywhere. I thought
    > I answered all the 'lets make a connection' wizard questions rightly,
    > but no joy in Mudville.
    > Humm, after exhausting the Old brain, I drew blanks as to a possible
    > cause, So I tried something else.
    > I then pointed the revived PC in question at the main PC that was
    > already online, and also sharing several folders with another PC
    > connected to the same netgear switch.
    > Sure enough I could see the shared folder on the main PC. this was my
    > first inkling that maybe the network card might be working.
    > SO I finally remembered to try using the command prompt on the revived
    > assemblage of old parts and tried pinging www.yahoo.com, that was
    > nice, sure looked like it did what it should, so I then pinged the
    > main PC's URL, ditto, results as expected if it were connecting. So I
    > then tried to copy over from the main PC a file to the acting up PC,
    > that worked.

    You did a ping, but you didn't do a tracert. Nor did you try:

    http://<ip address of yahoo.com>

    for example:

    http://1.2.3.4

    Oh, and two more things: what *is* the internet connection details and what
    *did* you set it up to be? It's far easier to say what's wrong than to say
    how to do something with no details of what's needed to *do* it.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Aug 17, 2010
  4. Hp wrote:

    > [...............]
    > At this time, the unit works just fine as a standalone PC, and if the
    > user wants to file share in a local network it will do that too.
    > BUT use IE6 to go touring the internet, fagetabout it!
    >
    > Any ideas on what I might have missed checking??
    >
    > Thanks!

    1) Go to start, run, type 'cmd', hit enter
    2) After Cmd opens type this:

    'netsh winsock reset catalog'
    --press enter

    3) and again after pressing enter type:

    'netsh int ip reset reset.log'

    4) Reboot!!!!

    Might work...
    Try this:
    then go into "internet options"
    then to "Connections" tab
    "Lan Settings"
    then all you do is unclick the proxy server dialog box

    restart ie or firefox

    Or you could try this:
    Go to Internet Explorer

    Tools

    Internet Options

    Advanced Tab

    Reset Internet Explorer to Default.

    Also:
    In XP: Control panel -> internet options -> connections -> LAN settings,
    then uncheck the box marked "use a proxy server for your LAN"

    More klews here, ya dope:
    http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-19117-internet-connected-but-can-t-browse

    HTH
    §ñühw¤£f, Aug 17, 2010
  5. Hp

    Tony Guest

    First God dam thing to do is see if the light is on, on the ethernet card.
    Second thing to do is take a sledgehammer to that netgear switch. Netgear is
    "shit" pure and simple. Just use a dsl modem or a cable modem and type in the
    user name and password then get back to this newsgroup and tell Chuckcar as
    usual his advice did more harm than good.

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day on
    the job for potty mouth,

    realm of understandability

    Tony, Aug 17, 2010