Basic Computer

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Phil, Nov 5, 2004.

  1. Phil

    Phil Guest

    I am looking at getting a basic computer for my parents. They only use it
    for word processing email and the internet, and maybe for digital photos.

    I have fond this one at dse, which looks to be quite good value and
    upgradable, plus allows me to install a AGP video card that I have got
    laying around

    http://tinyurl.com/4z73q

    Would welcome any feedback, and whether ACER are a good brand.

    TIA
     
    Phil, Nov 5, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Phil

    thing Guest

    Phil wrote:
    > I am looking at getting a basic computer for my parents. They only use it
    > for word processing email and the internet, and maybe for digital photos.
    >
    > I have fond this one at dse, which looks to be quite good value and
    > upgradable, plus allows me to install a AGP video card that I have got
    > laying around
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/4z73q
    >
    > Would welcome any feedback, and whether ACER are a good brand.
    >
    > TIA


    Yes, I like Acer.

    But, I would suggest a G3 iMAC, easy to use, pretty invunerable to
    exploits and web nasties, ideal for people new to the net. Even a
    $500~600 one on trademe would have enough go for what you want in this
    instance.

    regards

    Thing
     
    thing, Nov 5, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Phil

    Geronimo Guest

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 17:06:14 +1300, thing <> wrote:

    >Phil wrote:
    >> I am looking at getting a basic computer for my parents. They only use it
    >> for word processing email and the internet, and maybe for digital photos.
    >>
    >> I have fond this one at dse, which looks to be quite good value and
    >> upgradable, plus allows me to install a AGP video card that I have got
    >> laying around
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/4z73q
    >>
    >> Would welcome any feedback, and whether ACER are a good brand.
    >>
    >> TIA

    >
    >Yes, I like Acer.
    >
    >But, I would suggest a G3 iMAC, easy to use, pretty invunerable to
    >exploits and web nasties, ideal for people new to the net. Even a
    >$500~600 one on trademe would have enough go for what you want in this
    >instance.
    >
    >regards
    >
    >Thing
    >
    >




    And not supported at all, You are Joking.,.
     
    Geronimo, Nov 5, 2004
    #3
  4. Phil

    Hmmm Guest

    Phil wrote:
    > I am looking at getting a basic computer for my parents. They only use it
    > for word processing email and the internet, and maybe for digital photos.
    >
    > I have fond this one at dse, which looks to be quite good value and
    > upgradable, plus allows me to install a AGP video card that I have got
    > laying around
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/4z73q
    >
    > Would welcome any feedback, and whether ACER are a good brand.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    >
    >


    This is far better value, cheaper and better in every area..
    http://www.edenonline.co.nz/pk.aspx?1004
     
    Hmmm, Nov 5, 2004
    #4
  5. Phil

    Phil Guest

    "Hmmm" <> wrote in message news:418b0a33$1_2@127.0.0.1...
    > Phil wrote:
    > > I am looking at getting a basic computer for my parents. They only use

    it
    > > for word processing email and the internet, and maybe for digital

    photos.
    > >
    > > I have fond this one at dse, which looks to be quite good value and
    > > upgradable, plus allows me to install a AGP video card that I have got
    > > laying around
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/4z73q
    > >
    > > Would welcome any feedback, and whether ACER are a good brand.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > >
    > >

    >
    > This is far better value, cheaper and better in every area..
    > http://www.edenonline.co.nz/pk.aspx?1004



    Thanks for that, it does look like far better specs. I am in Wellington, so
    buying from an Auckland shop isn't the best idea, at least with the ACER it
    does come with a onsite warranty when something goes wrong with something.
     
    Phil, Nov 5, 2004
    #5
  6. Phil

    Hmmm Guest

    Phil wrote:
    > "Hmmm" <> wrote in message news:418b0a33$1_2@127.0.0.1...
    >
    >>Phil wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am looking at getting a basic computer for my parents. They only use

    >
    > it
    >
    >>>for word processing email and the internet, and maybe for digital

    >
    > photos.
    >
    >>>I have fond this one at dse, which looks to be quite good value and
    >>>upgradable, plus allows me to install a AGP video card that I have got
    >>>laying around
    >>>
    >>>http://tinyurl.com/4z73q
    >>>
    >>>Would welcome any feedback, and whether ACER are a good brand.
    >>>
    >>>TIA
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >>This is far better value, cheaper and better in every area..
    >>http://www.edenonline.co.nz/pk.aspx?1004

    >
    >
    >
    > Thanks for that, it does look like far better specs. I am in Wellington, so
    > buying from an Auckland shop isn't the best idea, at least with the ACER it
    > does come with a onsite warranty when something goes wrong with something.
    >
    >


    Ahh ok, you might want to hunt around because you will get deals like
    above in some local pc store in wellington also fair enough if you are
    after that extra peace of mind with onsite warranty etc.. but you should
    still shop around a bit, you can probably save yourself a fair amount
    of $$ and get a better system...

    good luck!
     
    Hmmm, Nov 5, 2004
    #6
  7. Phil

    Daniel Guest

    Phil wrote:
    > I am looking at getting a basic computer for my parents. They only use it
    > for word processing email and the internet, and maybe for digital photos.
    >
    > I have fond this one at dse, which looks to be quite good value and
    > upgradable, plus allows me to install a AGP video card that I have got
    > laying around
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/4z73q
    >
    > Would welcome any feedback, and whether ACER are a good brand.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    >
    >

    DSE deal looks good.

    If it's in your budget pay the $120 to extend the manufacturers warranty for
    another 2 years (3 yr warranty).

    Acer have certainly improved over the years. Really good thing about the Acers
    is that you can upgrade without voiding the hardware warranty (unlike Compaq/HP).
    So, installing that AGP card yourself will be fine.

    However, keep in mind that the T310s only have a 200W (that's right - 200W) PSU.
    So, installing anything gruntier than an FX5200, or 9200 might be a tad risky.

    Lastly, always remember to compare apples with apples when looking at some of
    these so-called cheaper deals. You'll find that when you add in the *legal*
    software components, that the Dells/Compaqs/HPs/Acers really are competitive.
     
    Daniel, Nov 5, 2004
    #7
  8. In article <418b0a33$1_2@127.0.0.1> in nz.comp on Fri, 05 Nov 2004
    18:15:30 +1300, Hmmm <> says...
    > Phil wrote:
    > > I am looking at getting a basic computer for my parents. They only use it
    > > for word processing email and the internet, and maybe for digital photos.
    > >
    > > I have fond this one at dse, which looks to be quite good value and
    > > upgradable, plus allows me to install a AGP video card that I have got
    > > laying around
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/4z73q
    > >
    > > Would welcome any feedback, and whether ACER are a good brand.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > >
    > >

    >
    > This is far better value, cheaper and better in every area..
    > http://www.edenonline.co.nz/pk.aspx?1004


    Ah, don't think so
    "Samsung Black 16x52x32x52 DVD/CDRW combo"
     
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 5, 2004
    #8
  9. Phil

    EMB Guest

    Hmmm wrote:

    > This is far better value, cheaper and better in every area..
    > http://www.edenonline.co.nz/pk.aspx?1004


    Ok... $888+GST + an OS is cheaper than $920 all up like how? I did the
    same hunt when I saw the original post, and for what it's expected to do
    the Acer is good value.


    --
    EMB
     
    EMB, Nov 5, 2004
    #9
  10. In article <418b0a33$1_2@127.0.0.1> in nz.comp on Fri, 05 Nov 2004
    18:15:30 +1300, Hmmm <> says...
    > Phil wrote:
    > > I am looking at getting a basic computer for my parents. They only use it
    > > for word processing email and the internet, and maybe for digital photos.
    > >
    > > I have fond this one at dse, which looks to be quite good value and
    > > upgradable, plus allows me to install a AGP video card that I have got
    > > laying around
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/4z73q
    > >
    > > Would welcome any feedback, and whether ACER are a good brand.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > >
    > >

    >
    > This is far better value, cheaper and better in every area..
    > http://www.edenonline.co.nz/pk.aspx?1004


    Strange, doesn't seem to include an operating system...
    And the Acer onsite warranty is hard to beat
     
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 5, 2004
    #10
  11. Phil

    Guest

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 15:15:07 +1300, Phil wrote:

    > Would welcome any feedback, and whether ACER are a good brand.


    How many brands does the word "ACER" represent?

    If it represents only ONE brand, why did you use the plural form of the
    verb "to be"?

    If it represents multiple brands, why did you not use the plural form of
    the noun "brand"?


    Divine

    --
    43 - for those who require slightly more than the answer to life, the universe
    and everything.
     
    , Nov 5, 2004
    #11
  12. Phil

    Geronimo Guest

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 19:50:00 +1300, Daniel <> wrote:

    >Phil wrote:
    >> I am looking at getting a basic computer for my parents. They only use it
    >> for word processing email and the internet, and maybe for digital photos.
    >>
    >> I have fond this one at dse, which looks to be quite good value and
    >> upgradable, plus allows me to install a AGP video card that I have got
    >> laying around
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/4z73q
    >>
    >> Would welcome any feedback, and whether ACER are a good brand.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >DSE deal looks good.
    >
    >If it's in your budget pay the $120 to extend the manufacturers warranty for
    >another 2 years (3 yr warranty).




    You do not need to as its covered by the CGA..


    >Acer have certainly improved over the years. Really good thing about the Acers
    >is that you can upgrade without voiding the hardware warranty (unlike Compaq/HP).
    >So, installing that AGP card yourself will be fine.
    >
    >However, keep in mind that the T310s only have a 200W (that's right - 200W) PSU.
    >So, installing anything gruntier than an FX5200, or 9200 might be a tad risky.
    >
    >Lastly, always remember to compare apples with apples when looking at some of
    >these so-called cheaper deals. You'll find that when you add in the *legal*
    >software components, that the Dells/Compaqs/HPs/Acers really are competitive.
     
    Geronimo, Nov 5, 2004
    #12
  13. Phil

    EMB Guest

    Geronimo wrote:

    > You do not need to as its covered by the CGA..


    If a CD-R drive fails after 18 months you won't get a look in under the
    CGA - they are known to have a limited lifespan, and actual usage is
    hard to prove! Paying an extra 10% or so to extend the warranty to 3
    years without having to go through all the hassle of the CGA is cheap
    peace of mind.

    --
    EMB
     
    EMB, Nov 5, 2004
    #13
  14. In article <pan.2004.11.05.07.25.14.531845@TRACKER>,
    "" <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 15:15:07 +1300, Phil wrote:
    >
    >> Would welcome any feedback, and whether ACER are a good brand.

    >
    >How many brands does the word "ACER" represent?
    >
    >If it represents only ONE brand, why did you use the plural form of the
    >verb "to be"?


    For the same reason why you is an idiot.
     
    Lawrence D’Oliveiro, Nov 5, 2004
    #14
  15. In article <>,
    Geronimo <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 17:06:14 +1300, thing <> wrote:
    >
    >>Phil wrote:
    >>> I am looking at getting a basic computer for my parents. They only use it
    >>> for word processing email and the internet, and maybe for digital photos.

    >>
    >>But, I would suggest a G3 [iMac], easy to use, pretty invunerable to
    >>exploits and web nasties, ideal for people new to the net. Even a
    >>$500~600 one on trademe would have enough go for what you want in this
    >>instance.

    >
    >And not supported at all, You are Joking.,.


    What kind of support did you have in mind? You can run MacOS 9.2.2,
    which is old but has zero need for security patches. If any hardware
    breaks down, your local Apple dealer can fix it.

    Software wise: Outlook Express 5.0.6 for e-mail--don't laugh, it's quite
    different from the Windows version and has no JavaScript
    vulnerabilities. Web browser--Internet Explorer 5.1.7 is probably good
    enough. Those two are what I run on my G4 iMac.

    For your digital camera, check that it has USB Mass Storage
    compatibility. Then you plug it in and it shows up as a disk with your
    photos as files you can just copy off.
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 5, 2004
    #15
  16. Phil

    Geronimo Guest

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 21:07:35 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Geronimo <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 17:06:14 +1300, thing <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Phil wrote:
    >>>> I am looking at getting a basic computer for my parents. They only use it
    >>>> for word processing email and the internet, and maybe for digital photos.
    >>>
    >>>But, I would suggest a G3 [iMac], easy to use, pretty invunerable to
    >>>exploits and web nasties, ideal for people new to the net. Even a
    >>>$500~600 one on trademe would have enough go for what you want in this
    >>>instance.

    >>
    >>And not supported at all, You are Joking.,.

    >
    >What kind of support did you have in mind? You can run MacOS 9.2.2,
    >which is old but has zero need for security patches. If any hardware
    >breaks down, your local Apple dealer can fix it.
    >
    >Software wise: Outlook Express 5.0.6 for e-mail--don't laugh, it's quite
    >different from the Windows version and has no JavaScript
    >vulnerabilities. Web browser--Internet Explorer 5.1.7 is probably good
    >enough. Those two are what I run on my G4 iMac.
    >
    >For your digital camera, check that it has USB Mass Storage
    >compatibility. Then you plug it in and it shows up as a disk with your
    >photos as files you can just copy off.




    No Shops around here support Macs, full stop.
     
    Geronimo, Nov 5, 2004
    #16
  17. Phil

    thing Guest

    Geronimo wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 21:07:35 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >>Geronimo <> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 17:06:14 +1300, thing <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Phil wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>>I am looking at getting a basic computer for my parents. They only use it
    >>>>>for word processing email and the internet, and maybe for digital photos.
    >>>>
    >>>>But, I would suggest a G3 [iMac], easy to use, pretty invunerable to
    >>>>exploits and web nasties, ideal for people new to the net. Even a
    >>>>$500~600 one on trademe would have enough go for what you want in this
    >>>>instance.
    >>>
    >>>And not supported at all, You are Joking.,.

    >>
    >>What kind of support did you have in mind? You can run MacOS 9.2.2,
    >>which is old but has zero need for security patches. If any hardware
    >>breaks down, your local Apple dealer can fix it.
    >>
    >>Software wise: Outlook Express 5.0.6 for e-mail--don't laugh, it's quite
    >>different from the Windows version and has no JavaScript
    >>vulnerabilities. Web browser--Internet Explorer 5.1.7 is probably good
    >>enough. Those two are what I run on my G4 iMac.
    >>
    >>For your digital camera, check that it has USB Mass Storage
    >>compatibility. Then you plug it in and it shows up as a disk with your
    >>photos as files you can just copy off.

    >
    >
    >
    >
    > No Shops around here support Macs, full stop.
    >
    >


    There are shops, just not many. A 500Mhz G3 will run 10.3 fine.

    regards

    Steven
     
    thing, Nov 5, 2004
    #17
  18. Phil

    EMB Guest

    Geronimo wrote:

    > No Shops around here support Macs, full stop.


    Really! Then why do Apple list 11 resellers in the Wellington region?
    Of these at least Magnummac and Toucan do support.

    http://www.toucan.co.nz/


    --
    EMB
     
    EMB, Nov 5, 2004
    #18
  19. Phil

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    news:EnFid.23$...
    > Phil wrote:
    >> I am looking at getting a basic computer for my parents. They only use it
    >> for word processing email and the internet, and maybe for digital photos.
    >>
    >> I have fond this one at dse, which looks to be quite good value and
    >> upgradable, plus allows me to install a AGP video card that I have got
    >> laying around
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/4z73q
    >>
    >> Would welcome any feedback, and whether ACER are a good brand.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >>
    >>

    > DSE deal looks good.
    >
    > If it's in your budget pay the $120 to extend the manufacturers warranty
    > for
    > another 2 years (3 yr warranty).
    >
    > Acer have certainly improved over the years. Really good thing about the
    > Acers
    > is that you can upgrade without voiding the hardware warranty (unlike
    > Compaq/HP).
    > So, installing that AGP card yourself will be fine.
    >
    > However, keep in mind that the T310s only have a 200W (that's right -
    > 200W) PSU.
    > So, installing anything gruntier than an FX5200, or 9200 might be a tad
    > risky.
    >
    > Lastly, always remember to compare apples with apples when looking at some
    > of
    > these so-called cheaper deals. You'll find that when you add in the
    > *legal*
    > software components, that the Dells/Compaqs/HPs/Acers really are
    > competitive.


    Damn! You mean his parents won't be able to spend the rest of their lives
    playing mindless games like Doom3, because they won't be able to upgrade to
    the biggest ever PC guts available ever built in 2005 with a budget PC?

    Perhaps something costing $10,000 would better suit their needs of surfing
    the Net - completely impossible on anything cheaper.
    Would also be able to do word processing - completely impossible on anything
    less.
    Would be able to handle Digial pictures, do scans and colour prints -
    completely impossible on anything less.

    As for getting it from Tricky Dicky, they'll need good luck that it's
    trouble free.

    E. Scrooge
     
    E. Scrooge, Nov 5, 2004
    #19
  20. Phil

    Daniel Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    >
    > As for getting it from Tricky Dicky, they'll need good luck that it's
    > trouble free.
    >
    > E. Scrooge
    >
    >

    To be honest, I've never brought a PC - either laptop or desktop from DSE
    that didn't have some kind of problem.

    It's not so much, if something goes wrong, but, how the retailer responds
    when it happens.

    From my experience - for what it's worth, the DSE "franchise" stores
    (i.e. not the authorised dealers), are always good to deal with. I've had
    lot's of cheap no-fuss upgrades under warranty. They have their own
    dedicated service centre in Albany (although they do farm the odd thing
    locally, like monitor repairs), and have a good turn around time for
    repairing stuff - unlike another certain "double-tick" retailer (sigh).

    Sure, they have the typical clueless salesman - every big retailer does,
    but, it's the "after-sales" service policy/mantra/culture that matters.
     
    Daniel, Nov 5, 2004
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Silverstrand

    Basic System Buyer's Guide - June 2005

    Silverstrand, Jun 22, 2005, in forum: Front Page News
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    879
    Silverstrand
    Jun 22, 2005
  2. Jaime
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    556
    Jaime
    Sep 20, 2003
  3. Robert Marshall

    Basic computer maintenance

    Robert Marshall, Nov 6, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    723
    127.0.0.1
    Nov 7, 2004
  4. Jimmy Dean
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,099
    Duane Arnold
    Jul 25, 2005
  5. Sharp Dressed Man

    TurboTax Basic vs. Taxcut Basic?

    Sharp Dressed Man, Jan 10, 2009, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    676
    Sharp Dressed Man
    Jan 12, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page