basic canon qs

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by L Trager, May 26, 2004.

  1. L Trager

    L Trager Guest

    I'm a rank amateur looking at buying a Canon SD100 for $224 plus
    shipping.

    * Is the 2x optical zoom going to kill us on tourist photos? Is there
    a well-reviewed 3x -- no more than 7 oz. and $299 -- we should get
    instead?

    * What other battery brands can we be certain will work with the Canon
    charger as well as the camera?

    * Is there any reason to consider an MMC rather than SD memory card?

    * Can you recommend a memory card size, brand and/or retailer for best
    value and quality?

    * Do we need an extra battery and memory card to be sure we have
    enough for a two-week European vacation?

    Thanks!

    L Trager, May 26, 2004

  2. L Trager

    Don Guest

    "L Trager" <> wrote in message
    > I'm a rank amateur looking at buying a Canon SD100 for $224 plus
    > shipping.
    >
    > * Is the 2x optical zoom going to kill us on tourist photos? Is there
    > a well-reviewed 3x -- no more than 7 oz. and $299 -- we should get
    > instead?

    My experience in Europe is that the wide angle is used far more than the
    telephoto, so I doubt that a 3:1 zoom is critical.

    > * What other battery brands can we be certain will work with the Canon
    > charger as well as the camera?

    Probably any that claim to be compatable (but see below).

    > * Is there any reason to consider an MMC rather than SD memory card?

    Nope

    > * Can you recommend a memory card size, brand and/or retailer for best
    > value and quality?

    See below.

    > * Do we need an extra battery and memory card to be sure we have
    > enough for a two-week European vacation?

    Probably not a battery if you can recharge every night. I carry a spare for
    my Canon G2 but I never need it.

    The amount of storage you'll need depends on how much you shoot. The SD100
    stores JPEG format files. If they use the same compression ratios as my G2
    (also 3 Mpixels) the images will average about 1.8 MB each. I seem to shoot
    about 30-50 images per day, but everyone's different. You may want to buy
    one more card of about 256MB and a portable storage device instead of more
    cards. This gives the advantage of providing a back-up, at least until you
    fill both cards and have to start erasing. I travel with two 1GB cards and
    a 30GB MindStor, but I save files in RAW format which average about twice
    the size. Although the company that made MindStor is now out of business,
    there are many others. They seem to run about $300-$400.

    Don

    !

    Don, May 26, 2004