basic ??? about Windows XP

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by GTS, Mar 10, 2008.

  1. GTS

    GTS Guest

    <struggles@.> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've been running Windows 98, and now have a machine
    > with Windows XP on it. When I do a search of the hard
    > drive, it gives me the message: SNIP

    By default there is no 'My computer' icon on an XP desktop. Add it by
    right-clicking on the desktop, select properties, the Desktop tab, then
    customise desktop, and put a check next to My Computer. Double clicking on
    My Computer takes you straight to the drives.
    Alternatively, when you do find a drive, right click on it and select Send
    to...desktop as shortcut.
    Graham

    GTS, Mar 10, 2008

  2. GTS

    struggles@. Guest

    I've been running Windows 98, and now have a machine
    with Windows XP on it. When I do a search of the hard
    drive, it gives me the message:
    _______________________________________
    Unable to connect

    The Web site is currently unavailable or the
    connection to the Internet has been lost.
    Make sure you are connected to the Internet
    and try again.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    Other than selecting Local Hard Drives (C:) from the
    Look In: menu which I do, is there something else I
    have to do to get it to search the hard drive?

    Also. I use Dial-Up Networking to connect my Windows 98
    PC to the internet. Can I use the same thing on the XP
    machine, and if so, where do I find it?

    Thanks for any help!
    David

    struggles@., Mar 10, 2008

  3. "GTS" <gts123SPAM-NO!@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

    > <struggles@.> wrote in message
    >> I've been running Windows 98, and now have a machine
    >> with Windows XP on it. When I do a search of the hard
    >> drive, it gives me the message: SNIP

    > By default there is no 'My computer' icon on an XP desktop. Add it by
    > right-clicking on the desktop, select properties, the Desktop tab, then
    > customise desktop, and put a check next to My Computer. Double clicking on
    > My Computer takes you straight to the drives.
    > Alternatively, when you do find a drive, right click on it and select Send
    > to...desktop as shortcut.
    > Graham

    Windows key + E will open Explorer.

    Mike.

    Michael Hawes, Mar 10, 2008
  4. GTS

    Bob Hobden Guest

    <struggles@.> wrote in message
    > I've been running Windows 98, and now have a machine
    > with Windows XP on it. When I do a search of the hard
    > drive, it gives me the message:
    > _______________________________________
    > Unable to connect
    >
    > The Web site is currently unavailable or the
    > connection to the Internet has been lost.
    > Make sure you are connected to the Internet
    > and try again.
    > ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    > Other than selecting Local Hard Drives (C:) from the
    > Look In: menu which I do, is there something else I
    > have to do to get it to search the hard drive?

    Just click "Search" and then in the window that opens click Files and
    Folders and it should show the Local Hard Drives ( C) as the place to
    search. Fill in the boxes and away you go.

    > Also. I use Dial-Up Networking to connect my Windows 98
    > PC to the internet. Can I use the same thing on the XP
    > machine, and if so, where do I find it?

    From memory... Control Panel...then...Network Connections, then click Create
    a New Connection (under Tasks), and work through the wizard carefully. Have
    all your ISP details to hand.

    --
    Regards
    Bob Hobden

    Bob Hobden, Mar 10, 2008
  5. GTS

    struggles@. Guest

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 19:51:48 GMT, "GTS" <gts123SPAM-NO!@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    ><struggles@.> wrote in message
    >> I've been running Windows 98, and now have a machine
    >> with Windows XP on it. When I do a search of the hard
    >> drive, it gives me the message: SNIP

    >By default there is no 'My computer' icon on an XP desktop.

    It's there.

    >Add it by
    >right-clicking on the desktop, select properties, the Desktop tab, then
    >customise desktop, and put a check next to My Computer. Double clicking on
    >My Computer takes you straight to the drives.

    Doing the search that way produces the same result.

    >Alternatively, when you do find a drive, right click on it and select Send
    >to...desktop as shortcut.
    >Graham

    I'm okay with shortcuts. I'm trying to search the hard drive
    (not "for" the hard drive), and get online.

    struggles@., Mar 10, 2008
  6. GTS

    struggles@. Guest

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 23:14:48 -0000, "Bob Hobden" <> wrote:

    >Just click "Search" and then in the window that opens click Files and
    >Folders and it should show the Local Hard Drives ( C) as the place to
    >search. Fill in the boxes and away you go.

    That's what I've been doing, and it keeps giving me the
    same message:
    _______________________________________
    Unable to connect

    The Web site is currently unavailable or the
    connection to the Internet has been lost.
    Make sure you are connected to the Internet
    and try again.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    >> Also. I use Dial-Up Networking to connect my Windows 98
    >> PC to the internet. Can I use the same thing on the XP
    >> machine, and if so, where do I find it?
    >>

    >From memory... Control Panel...then...Network Connections, then click Create
    >a New Connection (under Tasks), and work through the wizard carefully. Have
    >all your ISP details to hand.

    Thanks, that worked great. But apparently there's
    no modem so I'll have to get one. I wonder if
    absence of the modem could somehow be causing
    the problem with attempts to search the hard drive.

    struggles@., Mar 11, 2008
  7. GTS

    Bob Hobden Guest

    <struggles wrote after...
    > "Bob Hobden" replied:
    >
    >>Just click "Search" and then in the window that opens click Files and
    >>Folders and it should show the Local Hard Drives ( C) as the place to
    >>search. Fill in the boxes and away you go.

    > That's what I've been doing, and it keeps giving me the
    > same message:
    > _______________________________________
    > Unable to connect
    >
    > The Web site is currently unavailable or the
    > connection to the Internet has been lost.
    > Make sure you are connected to the Internet
    > and try again.
    > ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    >>> Also. I use Dial-Up Networking to connect my Windows 98
    >>> PC to the internet. Can I use the same thing on the XP
    >>> machine, and if so, where do I find it?
    >>>

    >>From memory... Control Panel...then...Network Connections, then click
    >>Create
    >>a New Connection (under Tasks), and work through the wizard carefully.
    >>Have
    >>all your ISP details to hand.

    > Thanks, that worked great. But apparently there's
    > no modem so I'll have to get one. I wonder if
    > absence of the modem could somehow be causing
    > the problem with attempts to search the hard drive.

    Wouldn't think so.

    There might be a modem installed, there usually is, but it may be disabled
    or something. Perhaps the previous owner used Broadband and disabled it. .

    Have you checked the Hardware tab on the Device Manager for a modem?
    (Control Panel, then System, then Hardware then Device Manager and then
    click on Modem and see what's there. If there is one double click the modem
    and see what it says on the various tabs.

    --
    Regards
    Bob Hobden

    Bob Hobden, Mar 11, 2008
  8. "Bob Hobden" <> wrote in message

    > <struggles wrote after...
    >> "Bob Hobden" replied:
    >>
    >>>Just click "Search" and then in the window that opens click Files and
    >>>Folders and it should show the Local Hard Drives ( C) as the place to
    >>>search. Fill in the boxes and away you go.

    >> That's what I've been doing, and it keeps giving me the
    >> same message:
    >> _______________________________________
    >> Unable to connect
    >>
    >> The Web site is currently unavailable or the
    >> connection to the Internet has been lost.
    >> Make sure you are connected to the Internet
    >> and try again.
    >> ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    >>>>

    >>>From memory... Control Panel...then...Network Connections, then click
    >>>Create
    >>>a New Connection (under Tasks), and work through the wizard carefully.
    >>>Have
    >>>all your ISP details to hand.

    >> Thanks, that worked great. But apparently there's
    >> no modem so I'll have to get one. I wonder if
    >> absence of the modem could somehow be causing
    >> the problem with attempts to search the hard drive.

    > Wouldn't think so.
    >
    > There might be a modem installed, there usually is, but it may be
    > disabled or something. Perhaps the previous owner used Broadband and
    > disabled it. .
    >
    > Have you checked the Hardware tab on the Device Manager for a modem?
    > (Control Panel, then System, then Hardware then Device Manager and then
    > click on Modem and see what's there. If there is one double click the
    > modem and see what it says on the various tabs.
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > Bob Hobden

    What are you searching for?

    Mike.

    Michael Hawes, Mar 11, 2008
  9. GTS

    struggles@. Guest

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 22:30:35 -0000, "Michael Hawes" <> wrote:

    >"Bob Hobden" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <struggles wrote after...
    >>> "Bob Hobden" replied:

    >>> That's what I've been doing, and it keeps giving me the
    >>> same message:
    >>> _______________________________________
    >>> Unable to connect
    >>>
    >>> The Web site is currently unavailable or the
    >>> connection to the Internet has been lost.
    >>> Make sure you are connected to the Internet
    >>> and try again.
    >>> ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

    >>> Thanks, that worked great. But apparently there's
    >>> no modem so I'll have to get one. I wonder if
    >>> absence of the modem could somehow be causing
    >>> the problem with attempts to search the hard drive.

    >> Wouldn't think so.
    >>
    >> There might be a modem installed, there usually is, but it may be
    >> disabled or something. Perhaps the previous owner used Broadband and
    >> disabled it. .
    >>
    >> Have you checked the Hardware tab on the Device Manager for a modem?
    >> (Control Panel, then System, then Hardware then Device Manager and then
    >> click on Modem and see what's there. If there is one double click the
    >> modem and see what it says on the various tabs.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards
    >> Bob Hobden
    >>

    > What are you searching for?
    >
    > Mike.

    Regardless of what I search for, it always gives the same
    result. Even if I search for a file I know is there and where it's
    located the same message is still the only result.

    struggles@., Mar 12, 2008