Basic 1760 setup question

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Joseph O'Brien, Aug 4, 2006.

  1. I hope this is a very basic question with an easy answer. Our company
    has a new T1 line, and I'd like to learn how to set up the router
    myself. However, most of the resources online are geared towards
    people who want to make a career out of it.

    Here's the basic setup: We have a Linksys RV082, which has two WAN
    ports. Right now, WAN1 is hooked up to DSL. I would like to hook up
    WAN2 to our Cisco router in a bridge configuration, where the Cisco
    1760 is basically transparent within our LAN, and the Linksys continues
    to be the primary router. (I hope I'm using the correct terminology).
    In the future, after I learn a bit more about Cisco routers, I might
    decide to remove the Linksys. But for now, I just need to get things
    moving.

    Can anyone offer specific advice about how to set this up? At this
    point, I can ping IP addresses from the IOS command line. That's about
    it.

    I've been playing around with IOS and SDM, so I'm fairly comfortable
    using those tools.

    Thanks for your help.

    Joseph
    Joseph O'Brien, Aug 4, 2006

  2. Joseph,

    What are you going to plug the T1 into? Do you have an ISDN card in
    your router?

    I guess all you would need to do is set on each interface a network on
    each device that is on the same network and you should be away. I could
    be wrong though I have not ever put a router directly into an other one
    using Ethernet. If it works in a similar principle as Serial, you
    should be fine...

    James Flockton

    James Flockton, Aug 4, 2006

  3. Joseph O'Brien

    Merv Guest

    Well first off I would suggest you learn about the command line
    interface.

    So connect the console cable (usally light blue these days) into the
    port labelled console and connect to a PC and open a hypterm window

    1. capture and post the output of the following commands:
    show version
    show diag

    2. What is at the other end of the new T1 circuit ?
    Merv, Aug 4, 2006