    Any ideas on what's the solution? I'm trying to install from the
    Firefox CD.

    -- Damon
    damon, Oct 30, 2004

  2. *** damon escribió/wrote (Fri, 29 Oct 2004 20:48:45 -0400):
    > Any ideas on what's the solution? I'm trying to install from the
    > Firefox CD.

    It seems the installer needs sh. Is that shell installed in your system?

    --
    -+ Álvaro G. Vicario - Burgos, Spain
    +- http://www.demogracia.com (la web de humor barnizada para la intemperie)
    Alvaro G. Vicario, Oct 30, 2004

  3. damon

    Gunther Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Any ideas on what's the solution? I'm trying to install from the
    > Firefox CD.
    >
    > -- Damon

    Um....perhaps the permissions on /bin/sh?
    try (as root): chmod a+x /bin/sh
    Gunther, Oct 30, 2004
  4. damon

    damon Guest

    Re: bash: ./firefox-installer: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permissiondenied

    It appears that my sh is actually just a link to /bin/bash. Altering
    permissions has not made any difference. Must I install sh?

    -- Damon

    damon, Nov 3, 2004
  5. On 2004-11-03, damon <> wrote:

    > It appears that my sh is actually just a link to /bin/bash. Altering
    > permissions has not made any difference. Must I install sh?

    No; bash *IS* sh, for all practical purposes. When invoked as "sh" instead
    of "bash" it restricts itself to behaving like sh.

    Now, how are you trying to run the installer? Are you doing something
    like "./firefox-installer.sh" or are you explicitly telling sh to run it,
    e.g. "sh ./firefox-installer.sh"?

    --

    -John ()
    John Thompson, Nov 4, 2004
  6. damon

    damon Guest

    Re: bash: ./firefox-installer: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permissiondenied

    Hmm. Any ideas? I've tried this a few different ways:

    root@libranetP3:/cdrom/Firefox 1.0PR/linux/firefox-1.0PR-installer#
    ../firefox-installer.sh
    bash: ./firefox-installer.sh: No such file or directory

    root@libranetP3:/cdrom/Firefox 1.0PR/linux/firefox-1.0PR-installer#
    ../firefox-installer
    bash: ./firefox-installer: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied

    root@libranetP3:/cdrom/Firefox 1.0PR/linux/firefox-1.0PR-installer# sh
    ../firefox-installer
    ../firefox-installer: line 55: ./firefox-installer-bin: Permission denied

    damon, Nov 5, 2004
  7. On 2004-11-05, damon <> wrote:

    > Hmm. Any ideas? I've tried this a few different ways:
    >
    > root@libranetP3:/cdrom/Firefox 1.0PR/linux/firefox-1.0PR-installer#
    > ./firefox-installer.sh
    > bash: ./firefox-installer.sh: No such file or directory
    >
    > root@libranetP3:/cdrom/Firefox 1.0PR/linux/firefox-1.0PR-installer#
    > ./firefox-installer
    > bash: ./firefox-installer: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
    >
    > root@libranetP3:/cdrom/Firefox 1.0PR/linux/firefox-1.0PR-installer# sh
    > ./firefox-installer
    > ./firefox-installer: line 55: ./firefox-installer-bin: Permission denied

    It appears that you're trying to run the installer with the working
    directory as the CDROM. This isn't going to work, since the CDROM is
    read-only and the installer has to be able to write into the working
    directory. Try "cd /tmp" and then run the installer from there: "sh
    /cdrom/[path_to_installer]/firefox-installer

    --
    -John ()
    John Thompson, Nov 6, 2004
  8. damon

    cartersanders

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    I've seen errors similar to this one on RH EL4 when I try to run a shell script from /tmp. There seems to be some sort of security measure preventing exec from doing this. After moving the script to my homedir, it ran fine.
    cartersanders, Aug 29, 2007