    may be) and has been so since I pressed the shutter release, but you are
    welcome too.

    Eric Miller
    Eric Miller, Dec 28, 2006

  2. Eric Miller

    Scott W Guest

    Eric Miller wrote:
    > OK. This is your chance to change my image from the scene as I saw it to
    > whatever you think looks better. Post a link and let us all see, you
    > have my permission to display my image, doctored, adjusted, manipulated,
    > any way you want, until January 31, 2007.
    >
    > What would you have done?
    >
    > http://www.dyesscreek.com/hidden_pages/valley.htm
    >
    > Of course, I don't expect all the photorealist, f/64, anything-other
    > than-the-plain-color-image-has-no-skill people to participate, because
    > you already think it is as good as it will ever get (flawed thouge it
    > may be) and has been so since I pressed the shutter release, but you are
    > welcome too.
    >
    > Eric Miller

    Ok, here is my try.
    http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/72240594/original

    Scott
    Scott W, Dec 28, 2006

  3. Eric Miller

    Mike Russell Guest

    Mike Russell, Dec 28, 2006
  4. Eric Miller

    Eric Miller Guest

    Mike Russell wrote:

    > Her's mine: http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/f64-rulz/valley-f64.jpg

    Sweet, LOL. I nearly spilt my coffee!

    > BTW - Your manipulated B+W image is very well done and. I think it's
    > unlikely that anyone else will match it in terms of getting as
    > dramatic a result. If that is your underlying point, touche.

    That isn't really the point, my adjustments shouldn't be too hard to
    duplicate. Someone asked for the original in the original thread and I
    just thought I'd have some fun with it since the other thread was a
    little too serious. Also, I thought I'd see how many people would insist
    that it shouldn't be adjusted since it is a pretty accurate
    representation of "what I saw when I was there" already.

    Eric Miller
    Eric Miller, Dec 28, 2006
  5. Eric Miller

    Annika1980 Guest

    Annika1980, Dec 28, 2006
  6. Hi Bret, Scott,

    > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/72240594/original

    I see that in both images you adjust the image so that the white area at the
    bottom is level (is that a river, sorry, never been there so I'm unsure???)
    I found that rotating the image is not how it was done, only by
    distorting/stretching it. However I was unable to get exactly the
    perspective you two got and since I'm trying to learn this, I'm curious if
    you could explain how exactly you did it?

    --
    Arnor Baldvinsson
    San Antonio, Texas
    Arnor Baldvinsson, Dec 28, 2006
  7. Eric Miller

    Scott W Guest

    Arnor Baldvinsson wrote:
    > Hi Bret, Scott,
    >
    > > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/72252166/original
    > > http://www.pbase.com/konascott/image/72240594/original

    > I see that in both images you adjust the image so that the white area at the
    > bottom is level (is that a river, sorry, never been there so I'm unsure???)
    > I found that rotating the image is not how it was done, only by
    > distorting/stretching it. However I was unable to get exactly the
    > perspective you two got and since I'm trying to learn this, I'm curious if
    > you could explain how exactly you did it?

    I just did a rotate, and then cropped to a slightly smaller image.
    Photoshop Elements has a straighten tool that does this all in one
    step.

    Scott
    Scott W, Dec 28, 2006
  8. Hi Scott,

    > I just did a rotate, and then cropped to a slightly smaller image.
    > Photoshop Elements has a straighten tool that does this all in one
    > step.

    Cool, thanks:) I have PE 3 I think it is. I'll take a peek tonight:)

    --
    Arnor Baldvinsson
    San Antonio, Texas
    Arnor Baldvinsson, Dec 28, 2006
  9. Eric Miller

    Eric Miller Guest

    Annika1980 wrote:
    > I was gonna go the faux infrared route, but I decided on the color
    > version.

    Those are some interesting tones in the rock. I noticed that everyone
    but Mike has "leveled" the photo so far (I guess aliens intent on
    burning our National Parks aren't worried about whether they appear
    level or not before the destruction). I "leveled" a bit in my B/W image
    too, though not quite as much. As I recall the ground there was sloped.
    The leaning trees just aren't as noticeable as the unlevel ground in the
    "corrected" image I guess.

    Eric Miller
    Eric Miller, Dec 29, 2006
  10. Eric Miller wrote:
    > Annika1980 wrote:
    >> I was gonna go the faux infrared route, but I decided on the color
    >> version.
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/72252166/original
    >>

    > Those are some interesting tones in the rock. I noticed that everyone
    > but Mike has "leveled" the photo so far (I guess aliens intent on
    > burning our National Parks aren't worried about whether they appear
    > level or not before the destruction). I "leveled" a bit in my B/W image
    > too, though not quite as much. As I recall the ground there was sloped.
    > The leaning trees just aren't as noticeable as the unlevel ground in the
    > "corrected" image I guess.

    That foreground area used to be a swamp, er, somewhat before my birth,
    so it's both pretty flat and level.

    Lovely pic, though, and I like the variations others have done, too.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Dec 29, 2006
  11. Eric Miller

    Eric Miller Guest

    > That foreground area used to be a swamp, er, somewhat before my birth,
    > so it's both pretty flat and level.

    That won't explain all the post-correction leaning trees very well.

    Eric Miller
    Eric Miller, Dec 30, 2006
  12. Eric Miller wrote:

    >> That foreground area used to be a swamp, er, somewhat before my birth,
    >> so it's both pretty flat and level.
    >>

    > That won't explain all the post-correction leaning trees very well.

    All? Lens bend, perhaps?? I can see only one that's leaning for sure,
    the dead one on the left. I can't tell if the stand on the left has a
    lean or not, but: You can see more with more detail, I am sure.

    There's also a tree about a third of the way in from the left that's
    leaning the opposite way.

    Trust me, that piece of ground is fairly level.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Dec 30, 2006
  13. Hi Eric,

    > What would you have done?

    Here is my feeble attempt to have some fun with it. Sky is partially
    inherited from Iceland, startrails, northern lights and all<g> Kind of my
    vision of how this place I've never seen could look on a dark night in full
    moon, but with the northern lights we might have to move Yosemite a bit
    north;) Anyway, it was fun playing with it - thanks for the opportunity:)

    http://www.itakefotos.com/stuff/valley.jpg

    --
    Arnor Baldvinsson
    San Antonio, Texas
    Arnor Baldvinsson, Dec 30, 2006
  14. Eric Miller

    Mike Russell Guest

    "Arnor Baldvinsson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Eric,
    >
    >> What would you have done?

    > Here is my feeble attempt to have some fun with it. Sky is partially
    > inherited from Iceland, startrails, northern lights and all<g> Kind of my
    > vision of how this place I've never seen could look on a dark night in
    > full moon, but with the northern lights we might have to move Yosemite a
    > bit north;) Anyway, it was fun playing with it - thanks for the
    > opportunity:)
    >
    > http://www.itakefotos.com/stuff/valley.jpg

    Nice, Arnor, I like it. Here's a variation based on yours:
    http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/f64-rulz/valley-arnor2.jpg
    --

    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/
    Mike Russell, Dec 30, 2006
  15. Hi Mike,

    > Nice, Arnor, I like it. Here's a variation based on yours:
    > http://mike.russell-home.net/tmp/f64-rulz/valley-arnor2.jpg

    To me it looks too blue. Take a look at this part of a photo:

    http://www.itakefotos.com/stuff/img_2713.jpg

    This photo is taken from the same spot and at the same time (within minutes)
    of the photo that I used for the sky. The mountain on the far right is
    moonlight only, the mountain to the left get's a bit of light from the town
    lights which turn it a bit orange.

    Now take a look at this one:

    http://www.itakefotos.com/stuff/img_2711.jpg

    This photo is taken of a mountain where the moon is shining off of the snow.
    This photo is processed much the same way as I processed the photo I
    uploaded and you don't see a strong blue tone to it. This is a 61 second
    exposure at f/9 and ISO400 with 18-55mm lens at 18mm. It was -10C and I did
    this all with my left hand and a tripod, obviously, as I had my right arm in
    a sling after a minor accident. I remember it was damn cold and I was
    shivering by the time I took the last shot - because of the sling I was only
    wearing a shirt and a thin coat over it<g>

    --
    Arnor Baldvinsson
    San Antonio, Texas
    Arnor Baldvinsson, Dec 30, 2006