    in photoshop to lighten up the shadow - trouble is, I have yet to find a
    completely convincing technique.
    My solution - ban them. As simple as that - ban all baseball caps.
    Mike, Sep 29, 2003

  2. Mike

    Guest

    "Mike" <>

    > Apart from telling the subject to take the ****ing thing off, has anybody
    > got any tips for photographing people wearing these things in sunlight? Just
    > about every picture I have ever taken of a person wearing a baseball cap is
    > pretty much useless because of the shadow cast over their eyes and upper
    > face. A bit of fill flash helps, but I usually end up resorting to working
    > in photoshop to lighten up the shadow - trouble is, I have yet to find a
    > completely convincing technique.
    > My solution - ban them. As simple as that - ban all baseball caps.

    Get them to wear the cap backwards
    , Sep 30, 2003

  3. Mike

    Frank ess Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > Apart from telling the subject to take the ****ing thing off, has anybody
    > got any tips for photographing people wearing these things in sunlight?

    Just
    > about every picture I have ever taken of a person wearing a baseball cap

    is
    > pretty much useless because of the shadow cast over their eyes and upper
    > face. A bit of fill flash helps, but I usually end up resorting to working
    > in photoshop to lighten up the shadow - trouble is, I have yet to find a
    > completely convincing technique.
    > My solution - ban them. As simple as that - ban all baseball caps.

    I figure they wear hats for a photo, they deserve less than perfection, and
    just overexpose so they can see their facial features; I'm sure everyone
    knows what goes where the highlights are blown out.
    http://www.fototime.com/6C6D888955DA345/orig.jpg

    As to fill-flaxh, wich of these do you likw?
    http://www.fototime.com/AFA19D95C17E7FF/orig.jpg
    http://www.fototime.com/1AC27712DE0410F/orig.jpg
    Frank ess, Sep 30, 2003
  4. A good reflector or a fill in flash, off camera so it is just below the
    level of the brim.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Sep 30, 2003
  5. Mike

    EktarEd Guest

    <> wrote in message news:3F7882F1.10369.1472310@localhost...
    > "Mike" <>
    >
    > > Apart from telling the subject to take the ****ing thing off, has anybody
    > > got any tips for photographing people wearing these things in sunlight? Just
    > > about every picture I have ever taken of a person wearing a baseball cap is
    > > pretty much useless because of the shadow cast over their eyes and upper
    > > face. A bit of fill flash helps, but I usually end up resorting to working
    > > in photoshop to lighten up the shadow - trouble is, I have yet to find a
    > > completely convincing technique.
    > > My solution - ban them. As simple as that - ban all baseball caps.

    > Get them to wear the cap backwards

    I agree, take photos of younger men. They do not seem to know the front from the
    back of the cap and therefore the bill is not a problem.
    EktarEd, Sep 30, 2003
  6. "Mike" <> writes:

    > Apart from telling the subject to take the ****ing thing off, has anybody

    I think that is the best answer to the problem. I ask people to take their
    caps off and tell them why. Everyone has.

    > got any tips for photographing people wearing these things in sunlight? Just

    A reflector works better than a flash on top of the camera, but be careful
    how you use it -- you don't want the lighting to appear to come from under
    the subject's face.

    Phil Stripling, Sep 30, 2003
  7. Mike

    Dennis Duke Guest

    A friend of mine is in a cowboy reenactment group and wanted me to take
    pictures of a "bank robbery". Of course they all wore some kind of cowboy
    hat and it was "high noon" when all this took place. I used a good fill
    flash and all the pictures came out great except one - the flash failed to
    fire on one picture for some reason and I got no face that time. I think
    fill flash is a really good solution and easier than fighting half the
    world.

    Dennis Duke, Sep 30, 2003
  8. I have no solution for you except fill flash. I have my own ball cap
    problem, LOL......When i'm taking a picture the flash pops up and whacks me
    in the visor, then i promptly turn it around backwards LOL. The Oly. 750
    doesnt do that, you have to manually put it up but the 300D pops up
    unexpectantly at times. Sure there's 1 mode that it doesnt but its in the
    dummy modes. This is about the only thing i dont like about the 300D.
    Grace Frehley, Sep 30, 2003
  9. Mike

    Not Very Guest

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:57:02 +0100, "Mike" <> wrote:

    > Apart from telling the subject to take the ****ing thing off, has anybody
    > got any tips for photographing people wearing these things in sunlight? Just
    > about every picture I have ever taken of a person wearing a baseball cap is
    > pretty much useless because of the shadow cast over their eyes and upper
    > face. A bit of fill flash helps, but I usually end up resorting to working
    > in photoshop to lighten up the shadow - trouble is, I have yet to find a
    > completely convincing technique.
    > My solution - ban them. As simple as that - ban all baseball caps.

    It is easier to shoot the wearers. Then, after they have karked it, there
    should be plenty of light on their faces. ;-)
    Not Very, Sep 30, 2003
  10. Mike

    Whatevah Guest

    if they are posed shots... use a reflector to bounce some light up. won't
    remove the shadows, but it'll help.

    use a "real" reflector, or any nice sized piece of white material.

    if there are clouds, wait for a cloud to pass over the sun. this'll help a
    lot.

    --
    Jerry
    www.whatevah.com / jerry at whatevah dot com

    Whatevah, Sep 30, 2003
  11. Mike

    Guest Guest

    I've taken plenty of beach shots of kids with caps on. If your camera has a
    built in flash, then it probably has a fill flash mode. This will get rid of
    the shadows, or at least lessen them. Of course, then you have to worry
    about red-eye.... hopefully your camera has a red-eye reductrion fill flash
    mode.

    Guest, Oct 1, 2003