    answer on how that is done. There's no reset button on the back, just a
    hole where one pokes a paper clip.

    TIA, Rod
    Rod Dahl, Jan 14, 2008

  2. Rod Dahl

    John Guest

    "Rod Dahl" <> wrote in message
    news:%...
    >I have an SMC Barricade 7004AWBR router (w/latest firmware) that's run
    >perfectly up until now. My laptop connects wirelessly at 3Mbps
    >down...that's not the problem. My desktop computer is hardwired to the
    >router and now connects to the internet at less than 26Kbps....doing a ping
    >also reveals dropped packets from time to time. It's pitifully slow/
    >can't even access the System setup page for the router.
    >
    > When I unplug the desktop from the router and plug it directly into the
    > cable modem, I get 5Mbps down and 500Kbps up. That leads me to believe
    > that the network cable and adapter are fine. I've tried different
    > ports on the router and different cables but no joy. Wired, the laptop
    > behaves the same....slooooow!
    >
    > Any ideas on how I can fix the wired connection from this router or is it
    > toast? I've heard about doing a 'hard reset' but haven't gotten a firm
    > answer on how that is done. There's no reset button on the back, just a
    > hole where one pokes a paper clip.
    >
    > TIA, Rod

    It's been a long time since I used a Barricade router
    but I found that when access to the builtin setup
    page didn't work, cycling the power would fix it.
    It happened every month or so. My theory was
    that it had a memory leak and when it used up all
    of the available memory the web page stopped
    working.

    The manual is on SMC's website.

    Here is the factory reset procedure.

    RESET To reset system settings to factory defaults,
    please follow the steps:

    1. Power off the device,

    2. Press the reset button and hold,

    3. Power on the device,

    4. Keep the button pressed about 5 seconds,

    5. Release the button,

    6. Watch the M1 and M2 LEDs, they will flash

    8 times and then M1 flashes once per second.
    John, Jan 14, 2008

  3. Rod Dahl

    Rod Dahl Guest

    Thanks for the good info. I'll try the hard reset. Will that reset the
    firmware version to the original as well?

    Rod
    Rod Dahl, Jan 14, 2008
  4. Hi
    The 7002AWBR is an old 802.11b Wireless, beside Speed I think that the
    Wireless is only WEP, which deems it unsafe too.
    It is time for a new Wireless Router.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 14, 2008
  5. Rod Dahl

    John Guest

    "Rod Dahl" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the good info. I'll try the hard reset. Will that reset
    > the firmware version to the original as well?
    >
    > Rod

    No, the original firmware was overwritten when
    it was updated to a newer version.
    John, Jan 14, 2008
  6. Rod Dahl

    Rod Dahl Guest

    I know you're right about getting a new router, but this Barricade has been
    so reliable over the last 3 years. I don't need anything fancy....what
    would you replace it with? Linksys, D-Link, NetGear? I see people
    complaining about just about every brand and, until now, I've never had one
    problem with my Barricade.

    Rod
    Rod Dahl, Jan 14, 2008
  7. Hi
    As O said Not only that it is two or three level behind its time, it is also
    Not Safe.
    People are complaining about every thing. The easier life become the more
    the Neurowares (Units that are based on Neurological hardware/software, aka
    humans) complain. ;)
    In any case this is a very good inexpensive Router.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833181219
    If you need extra power het this one.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833181218&Tpk=zyxel+550
    Jack (MVP-Networking).
    Disclaimer - I have no connection with any Brand that manufactures Network
    Devices (or any other computer hardware), nor any connection to a specific
    hardware vendors. My comments are as a frame of reference based on hardware
    that I buy with my own money.
    =====================

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 14, 2008
  8. Rod Dahl

    Rod Dahl Guest

    Okay Jack, I get the picture! Time for a new one! Thanks for the links.

    Rod
    Rod Dahl, Jan 14, 2008
  9. All of the "home user" level devices (less than $150.00) have their flaws
    and weaknesses,...some just more than others. The middle-ground devices
    between the retail "home user" and full commercial devices cost around
    $350.00 to $600.00. The full commercial ones can be anything from $1500.00
    to $10,000.00.

    So, it is the old "get what you pay for" thing.

    As far as the complaining, people will complain about anything. The easier
    things become, the more easier they expect things to be,...the general
    public are rarely realistic in their expectations, and are never satisfied.

    Personally, I've had a little better performace out of D-Link, but at the
    same time the device has less abilities than a comparable Linksys,...the
    D-Link could not be configured with any Static Routes so it could only be
    used on a single subnet LAN. On the other hand the Linksys had big problems
    with FTP transfer speeds that were not solved by firmware upgrades or MTU
    alterations. I haven't messed with Netgear, so no comment there.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jan 14, 2008
  10. Hi
    There is No real D-Link, Linksys, Netgear, etc. Valid comparison. Each Brand
    has Good models, and Bad models.
    You can compare the outside of the visual design and the color of the
    plastic since they are Brand Marketing specific.
    The real working of the devices depends on the core chipset.
    Devices that are based on Chipset X across Brands would be more similar than
    Devices based on chipset X to device based on chipset Y within the same
    brand.
    I intentionally linked to specific models and Not just sending the OP to buy
    Zyxel.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 14, 2008
  11. Rod Dahl

    Rod Dahl Guest

    Jack, is the Zyxel P-330 that you linked to backwards compatible with
    802.11b? No reference to that on the webpage. I'm presently using an
    Orinoco Gold 'B' card in my laptop. I suppose I would need a 'g' card to
    get the faster speeds.....just wondering if it would connect?

    Another question please?.....my cable internet connection is consistently
    5Mbps. down but, wirelessly, I've only been connecting at 3Mbps. Is this
    loss of bandwidth across a wireless network common or should the whole 5Mbps
    be there? I do the download test at speakeasy.net.

    Rod
    Rod Dahl, Jan 14, 2008
  12. Yes. I agree with that.

    The D-Link and the Linksys I spoke of were specifically the two I have here
    that are in still in use, and I was just using them as an example. But they
    are not my primary devices,..they only have very specific secondary jobs to
    do while my primary firewall is ISA Server 2006 of which I used to be an MVP
    for several years.

    Sorry, I don't remember the specific model number of the Linksys and D-Link
    boxes without going downstairs and checking them.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jan 14, 2008
  13. Rod Dahl

    Lem Guest

    Rod Dahl wrote:
    > Jack, is the Zyxel P-330 that you linked to backwards compatible with
    > 802.11b? No reference to that on the webpage. I'm presently using an
    > Orinoco Gold 'B' card in my laptop. I suppose I would need a 'g' card to
    > get the faster speeds.....just wondering if it would connect?
    >
    > Another question please?.....my cable internet connection is consistently
    > 5Mbps. down but, wirelessly, I've only been connecting at 3Mbps. Is this
    > loss of bandwidth across a wireless network common or should the whole 5Mbps
    > be there? I do the download test at speakeasy.net.
    >
    > Rod

    Like most SOHO wireless-G routers, the Zyxel P330W can be configured to
    B-only, G-only, or B+G. In early wireless-G routers, having a B device
    in the network could slow down the performance of G devices in the
    network. I don't know if that's still true or if it applies to this
    product. Other than that, your Orinoco B card ought to connect just
    fine -- at B speeds.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Jan 14, 2008
  14. Hi
    WOW you still use the Orinoco Gold, probably the best Wireless card ever.
    If you use the wireless only for Internet surfing you can stick with the
    Orinoco card, with a new Router you probably would get almost all the
    Bandwidth.
    However using an 802.11g card would speed up 3 to 4 time your local traffic
    between computers (if do have a LAN).
    This is a decent card for little money,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156140
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jan 15, 2008
  15. Rod Dahl

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Jan 15, 2008
  16. Rod Dahl

    Rod Dahl Guest

    Jack, I purchased the Zyxel router that you recommended from Buy.com for $39
    w/free shipping. It was a breeze to install and is working perfectly.
    Thanks for the tip!
    Rod
    Rod Dahl, Feb 4, 2008