Barely ontopic - Roy Orbison in Black and White...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mark.thomas.7@gmail.com, Feb 22, 2008.

  1. Guest

    On a lighter note... I'm watching/listening to "Black and White
    Night", a staged 'concert session' featuring Roy Orbison (about a year
    before his departure) accompanied by folks like Bruce Springsteen, Tom
    Waits, Elvis Costello, Jackson Browne, J.D. Souther, Steven Soles,
    K.D. Lang, Jennifer Warnes, Bonnie Raitt...

    If you are even a slight Big O fan - you *must* see/hear this concert
    - it's pretty easy to find on DVD. It is a remarkable collection of
    his songs, very true to the originals, yet each one has a few little
    touches from the assembly of stars. The recording is excellent - it
    deserves a really good stereo... and *turn it up* for the great
    version of Pretty Woman at the end!

    It is also interesting photographically. Shot entirely in black and
    white, it has great 'presence', even down to the smoky atmosphere.
    Roy's voice is astonishing and you really feel like you are back in
    the 60's, watching him in his prime.

    But I can't help wondering what it would have looked like if they
    controlled the contrast a little better - there's an awful lot of
    blown highlights..

    OK, back to your normal programming.

    (Yeah, she's walking back to me... Ooohh, oh ....)
    , Feb 22, 2008

  2. Tully Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > On a lighter note... I'm watching/listening to "Black and White
    > Night", a staged 'concert session' featuring Roy Orbison (about a year
    > before his departure) accompanied by folks like Bruce Springsteen, Tom
    > Waits, Elvis Costello, Jackson Browne, J.D. Souther, Steven Soles,
    > K.D. Lang, Jennifer Warnes, Bonnie Raitt...
    >
    > If you are even a slight Big O fan - you *must* see/hear this concert
    > - it's pretty easy to find on DVD. It is a remarkable collection of
    > his songs, very true to the originals, yet each one has a few little
    > touches from the assembly of stars. The recording is excellent - it
    > deserves a really good stereo... and *turn it up* for the great
    > version of Pretty Woman at the end!
    >
    > It is also interesting photographically. Shot entirely in black and
    > white, it has great 'presence', even down to the smoky atmosphere.
    > Roy's voice is astonishing and you really feel like you are back in
    > the 60's, watching him in his prime.
    >
    > But I can't help wondering what it would have looked like if they
    > controlled the contrast a little better - there's an awful lot of
    > blown highlights..
    >

    > OK, back to your normal programming.
    >

    > (Yeah, she's walking back to me... Ooohh, oh ....)

    I totally agree that this is a superb DVD. Your obsession with blown
    highlights is noted. Please seek professional help.
    --
    "It is the individual alone who is timeless. The individual's
    hungers, anxieties, dreams, and preoccupations have remained
    Tully, Feb 22, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Feb 22, 8:52 pm, Tully <> wrote:
    > I totally agree that this is a superb DVD. Your obsession with blown
    > highlights is noted. Please seek professional help.

    Agreed.

    But I bet you notice them next time you watch it... Sorry!
    , Feb 22, 2008
  4. added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

    > On a lighter note... I'm watching/listening to "Black and
    > White Night", a staged 'concert session' featuring Roy Orbison
    > (about a year before his departure) accompanied by folks like
    > Bruce Springsteen, Tom Waits, Elvis Costello, Jackson Browne,
    > J.D. Souther, Steven Soles, K.D. Lang, Jennifer Warnes, Bonnie
    > Raitt...

    This really is a fantastic concert, and I think the B & W makes
    the show, just like it did even into the 1960s with some movies
    to intentionally show drama and concentrate on the action and not
    colors and special effects. I recorded the show from PBS to my
    DVR's HDD then burned my own DVD after chopping out the
    propaganda from public TV trying to get contributions.

    > If you are even a slight Big O fan - you *must* see/hear this
    > concert - it's pretty easy to find on DVD. It is a remarkable
    > collection of his songs, very true to the originals, yet each
    > one has a few little touches from the assembly of stars. The
    > recording is excellent - it deserves a really good stereo...
    > and *turn it up* for the great version of Pretty Woman at the
    > end!
    >
    > It is also interesting photographically. Shot entirely in
    > black and white, it has great 'presence', even down to the
    > smoky atmosphere. Roy's voice is astonishing and you really
    > feel like you are back in the 60's, watching him in his prime.

    Agreed, basically what I said above but you described it in more
    technical terms.

    > But I can't help wondering what it would have looked like if
    > they controlled the contrast a little better - there's an
    > awful lot of blown highlights..

    I hadn't noticed that but I'll find my DVD and take a look. If it
    looks as you see it on my TV, as it likely will, do you think it
    was intentional, a gaff, or maybe that the sophistication of
    recording something in a relatively dark setting with a very
    large dynamic range? I recall that many of the singers and band
    members and much of the surroundings, e.g., the audience, was
    fairly dark which would exacerbate blown out highlights as the
    cameraperson, working with the lighting crew, has to make the
    same decision we all do in this situation - what part(s) of the
    scene do you meter from? Since this is from 1986 (I think), there
    were no digitals, and maybe the TV equipment didn't have the
    capability of doing multi-sampling points.

    > OK, back to your normal programming.

    > (Yeah, she's walking back to me... Ooohh, oh ....)

    --
    HP, aka Jerry

    "Surely you jest - and don't call me Shirley!" - from the movie
    "Airplane!"
    HEMI - Powered, Feb 22, 2008
  5. Paul Furman Guest

    wrote:

    > It is also interesting photographically. Shot entirely in black and
    > white, it has great 'presence', even down to the smoky atmosphere.
    > Roy's voice is astonishing and you really feel like you are back in
    > the 60's, watching him in his prime.
    >
    > But I can't help wondering what it would have looked like if they
    > controlled the contrast a little better - there's an awful lot of
    > blown highlights..

    Looks like it was made for TV so I'm guessing that means it was shot on
    video not film.
    Paul Furman, Feb 22, 2008
  6. bluezfolk Guest

    On Feb 22, 11:26 am, Paul Furman <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > It is also interesting photographically. Shot entirely in black and
    > > white, it has great 'presence', even down to the smoky atmosphere.
    > > Roy's voice is astonishing and you really feel like you are back in
    > > the 60's, watching him in his prime.

    > > But I can't help wondering what it would have looked like if they
    > > controlled the contrast a little better - there's an awful lot of
    > > blown highlights..

    > Looks like it was made for TV so I'm guessing that means it was shot on
    > video not film.

    I recall seeing it on Showtime way back long before there were DVDs,
    I think it was made for Showtime in the '80s.
    bluezfolk, Feb 22, 2008
  7. BobW Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On a lighter note... I'm watching/listening to "Black and White
    > Night", a staged 'concert session' featuring Roy Orbison (about a year
    > before his departure) accompanied by folks like Bruce Springsteen, Tom
    > Waits, Elvis Costello, Jackson Browne, J.D. Souther, Steven Soles,
    > K.D. Lang, Jennifer Warnes, Bonnie Raitt...
    >
    > If you are even a slight Big O fan - you *must* see/hear this concert
    > - it's pretty easy to find on DVD. It is a remarkable collection of
    > his songs, very true to the originals, yet each one has a few little
    > touches from the assembly of stars. The recording is excellent - it
    > deserves a really good stereo... and *turn it up* for the great
    > version of Pretty Woman at the end!
    >
    > It is also interesting photographically. Shot entirely in black and
    > white, it has great 'presence', even down to the smoky atmosphere.
    > Roy's voice is astonishing and you really feel like you are back in
    > the 60's, watching him in his prime.
    >
    > But I can't help wondering what it would have looked like if they
    > controlled the contrast a little better - there's an awful lot of
    > blown highlights..
    >

    > OK, back to your normal programming.
    >

    > (Yeah, she's walking back to me... Ooohh, oh ....)

    I was never a big Roy Orbison fan until I saw this concert on tv. The
    musicianship is superb and Roy's voice is amazing.

    I now own it and watch it pretty regularly unless I'm working with a digital
    camera [<- an attempt to get back on topic].

    Bob
    BobW, Feb 23, 2008
  8. Mike Guest

    "HEMI - Powered" <> wrote in message
    > I recorded the show from PBS to my
    > DVR's HDD then burned my own DVD after chopping out the
    > propaganda from public TV trying to get contributions.

    OK, HP smuck, just exactly waht do you think pays for PBS.
    Mike, Mar 3, 2008