    TIA
    --
    Owdio

    Owdio, Apr 11, 2004

  2. Owdio

    NoSpam Guest

    You would want to use a commercial program for use with the bar code reader.
    You could have a custom front end written to work with Microsoft Access but
    that would probably cost you more than a commercial product.
    Search for "barcode inventory program" on Google and you'll get plenty to
    read.

    nospam

    "Owdio" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking at purchasing a barcode system for my rental equipment in

    order
    > to keep better track and faster turnaround.
    > I'm looking at the Brother P-Touch PT-2600 for creating & printing barcode
    > stickers. The other piece will be a handheld scanner (USB) for reading.

    Both

    NoSpam, Apr 11, 2004

  3. Owdio wrote:
    > I'm looking at purchasing a barcode system for my rental equipment in order
    > to keep better track and faster turnaround.
    > I'm looking at the Brother P-Touch PT-2600 for creating & printing barcode
    > stickers. The other piece will be a handheld scanner (USB) for reading. Both
    > can be easily purchased.
    > At present I use Excel 97 for entering inventory status manually.
    > How or what do I need to interface the barcode scanner to Excel?
    > Do I need an separate inventory software program and dump Excel?
    > Any one have real world experience with barcode systems on a PC / laptop?
    > TIA
    > --
    > Owdio

    I have a USB wand-type barcode reader that can be used in "keyboard"
    mode. I use this mode with a spreadsheet and it is much the same as
    visually reading the code and manually typing it in - except much, much
    faster and much more accurate. Would one of those be what you are after?
    It wasn't expensive (<50GBP). I have a few very simple macros that work
    with the barcode. One takes the code and then jumps to the inventory
    line associated with it, creating a new line if that code is not present
    or displaying the line if it is.

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 11, 2004
  4. Owdio

    Owdio Guest

    Thanks nospam,
    Found a bunch!
    --
    Owdio

    Owdio, Apr 11, 2004
  5. Owdio

    Owdio Guest

    "Palindrâ~»me" <> wrote in message
    > Owdio wrote:
    > > I'm looking at purchasing a barcode system for my rental equipment in

    order
    > > to keep better track and faster turnaround.
    > > I'm looking at the Brother P-Touch PT-2600 for creating & printing

    barcode
    > > stickers. The other piece will be a handheld scanner (USB) for reading.

    Both
    > > can be easily purchased.
    > > At present I use Excel 97 for entering inventory status manually.
    > > How or what do I need to interface the barcode scanner to Excel?
    > > Do I need an separate inventory software program and dump Excel?
    > > Any one have real world experience with barcode systems on a PC /

    laptop?
    > > TIA
    > > --
    > > Owdio
    > >

    > I have a USB wand-type barcode reader that can be used in "keyboard"
    > mode. I use this mode with a spreadsheet and it is much the same as
    > visually reading the code and manually typing it in - except much, much
    > faster and much more accurate. Would one of those be what you are after?
    > It wasn't expensive (<50GBP). I have a few very simple macros that work
    > with the barcode. One takes the code and then jumps to the inventory
    > line associated with it, creating a new line if that code is not present
    > or displaying the line if it is.

    Exactly.
    So the scanner fools the p.c. and spreadsheet into thinking it's a
    keyboard, no special inventory program necessary?
    --
    Owdio

    Owdio, Apr 11, 2004
  6. Owdio wrote:

    > "Palindrâ~»me" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Owdio wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm looking at purchasing a barcode system for my rental equipment in

    > order
    >
    >>>to keep better track and faster turnaround.
    >>>I'm looking at the Brother P-Touch PT-2600 for creating & printing

    > barcode
    >
    >>>stickers. The other piece will be a handheld scanner (USB) for reading.

    > Both
    >
    >>>can be easily purchased.
    >>>At present I use Excel 97 for entering inventory status manually.
    >>>How or what do I need to interface the barcode scanner to Excel?
    >>>Do I need an separate inventory software program and dump Excel?
    >>>Any one have real world experience with barcode systems on a PC /

    > laptop?
    >
    >>>TIA
    >>>--
    >>>Owdio
    >>>

    >>I have a USB wand-type barcode reader that can be used in "keyboard"
    >>mode. I use this mode with a spreadsheet and it is much the same as
    >>visually reading the code and manually typing it in - except much, much
    >>faster and much more accurate. Would one of those be what you are after?
    >>It wasn't expensive (<50GBP). I have a few very simple macros that work
    >>with the barcode. One takes the code and then jumps to the inventory
    >>line associated with it, creating a new line if that code is not present
    >>or displaying the line if it is.
    >>

    > Exactly.
    > So the scanner fools the p.c. and spreadsheet into thinking it's a
    > keyboard, no special inventory program necessary?
    > --
    > Owdio

    Yep. :)

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Apr 11, 2004
  7. Owdio

    Sensei Guest

    Welcome back.

    Sensei, Apr 11, 2004
  8. Owdio

    Owdio Guest

    Nice to be.
    When I'm stuck for info, this is the group that knows all!
    --
    Owdio

    Owdio, Apr 11, 2004
  9. Owdio

    Millimeter Guest

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 16:03:53 GMT, "Owdio" <> wrote:

    >I'm looking at purchasing a barcode system for my rental equipment in order
    >to keep better track and faster turnaround.
    >I'm looking at the Brother P-Touch PT-2600 for creating & printing barcode
    >stickers. The other piece will be a handheld scanner (USB) for reading. Both
    >can be easily purchased.
    >At present I use Excel 97 for entering inventory status manually.
    >How or what do I need to interface the barcode scanner to Excel?
    >Do I need an separate inventory software program and dump Excel?
    >Any one have real world experience with barcode systems on a PC / laptop?
    >TIA

    Hi Owido,
    I support 2 local Video Rental stores that both use Video Vendor by
    vendorware. http://www.vendorware.com/

    I don't know what your product line is but they may have a solution
    for you. They di now offer a windows based application that will work
    with an enterprise environment but that may be overkill for what you
    need. The DOS based POS software may just suit your needs and will
    run fine on a 486 with 16 MB Ram.

    hth,
    Millimeter

    Millimeter, Apr 12, 2004
  10. Owdio

    Owdio Guest

    Thanks Millimeter,
    I have about 50 pieces of rental gear and growing.
    I'll check them out.
    --
    Owdio

    Owdio, Apr 12, 2004
  11. Owdio

    Lord Haw-Haw Guest

    Hello me old Tatter:}-
    Only got one ball and some of them got no Balls at all
    Let a lone bar codes
    Thourt i pop up been in the bloody wars all ways in the Kakkey
    Must keep the morse code up DX stuff this is only a wee side line thank f/
    for that
    Keep the sun shineing black cliffs over Dover let them all in any tom dick
    or harrys

    Lord Haw-Haw, Apr 13, 2004