Banned URL

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Matt Silberstein, Oct 26, 2005.

  1. I just sent an email to someone with the sig you see below. The second
    URL, www.darfurgenocide.org, is banned by AOL. My first reaction was
    that there was something political involved. But it is probably
    because of someone else on their network. I know that the answer is
    no, but is there some way to check this? (And what am I doing asking
    question for which I know the answer? Because I could easily be wrong.
    Or, to put that better, I am wrong, but I don't always know what I am
    wrong about.)



    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

    Genocide is news | Be A Witness
    http://www.beawitness.org

    "Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
    www.darfurgenocide.org

    Save Darfur.org :: Violence and Suffering in Sudan's Darfur Region
    http://www.savedarfur.org/
    Matt Silberstein, Oct 26, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Matt Silberstein

    Notan Guest

    Matt Silberstein wrote:
    >
    > I just sent an email to someone with the sig you see below. The second
    > URL, www.darfurgenocide.org, is banned by AOL. My first reaction was
    > that there was something political involved. But it is probably
    > because of someone else on their network. I know that the answer is
    > no, but is there some way to check this? (And what am I doing asking
    > question for which I know the answer? Because I could easily be wrong.
    > Or, to put that better, I am wrong, but I don't always know what I am
    > wrong about.)


    I'm a bit unclear as to what the question is.

    If it's, "Can anyone else get to this URL?," the answer is "yes."

    If it's not, care to elaborate?

    Notan
    Notan, Oct 26, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 13:43:59 -0600, in alt.computer.security , Notan
    <> in <> wrote:

    >Matt Silberstein wrote:
    >>
    >> I just sent an email to someone with the sig you see below. The second
    >> URL, www.darfurgenocide.org, is banned by AOL. My first reaction was
    >> that there was something political involved. But it is probably
    >> because of someone else on their network. I know that the answer is
    >> no, but is there some way to check this? (And what am I doing asking
    >> question for which I know the answer? Because I could easily be wrong.
    >> Or, to put that better, I am wrong, but I don't always know what I am
    >> wrong about.)

    >
    >I'm a bit unclear as to what the question is.
    >
    >If it's, "Can anyone else get to this URL?," the answer is "yes."
    >
    >If it's not, care to elaborate?
    >

    Sorry. My point was how can I find out why this is on some banned
    list?

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

    Genocide is news | Be A Witness
    http://www.beawitness.org

    "Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
    www.darfurgenocide.org

    Save Darfur.org :: Violence and Suffering in Sudan's Darfur Region
    http://www.savedarfur.org/
    Matt Silberstein, Oct 26, 2005
    #3
  4. Matt Silberstein

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 19:31:08 GMT, Matt Silberstein
    <> wrote:

    >I just sent an email to someone with the sig you see below. The second
    >URL <snip> is banned by AOL.


    This has got **** all to do with computer security
    if you have an issue wth AOL take it up with them,
    in the meantime please refrain from spamming
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Oct 26, 2005
    #4
  5. Matt Silberstein

    Notan Guest

    Matt Silberstein wrote:
    >
    > On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 13:43:59 -0600, in alt.computer.security , Notan
    > <> in <> wrote:
    >
    > >Matt Silberstein wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I just sent an email to someone with the sig you see below. The second
    > >> URL, www.darfurgenocide.org, is banned by AOL. My first reaction was
    > >> that there was something political involved. But it is probably
    > >> because of someone else on their network. I know that the answer is
    > >> no, but is there some way to check this? (And what am I doing asking
    > >> question for which I know the answer? Because I could easily be wrong.
    > >> Or, to put that better, I am wrong, but I don't always know what I am
    > >> wrong about.)

    > >
    > >I'm a bit unclear as to what the question is.
    > >
    > >If it's, "Can anyone else get to this URL?," the answer is "yes."
    > >
    > >If it's not, care to elaborate?
    > >

    > Sorry. My point was how can I find out why this is on some banned
    > list?


    Personally, I think your first impression was probably correct... Political.

    Notan
    Notan, Oct 27, 2005
    #5
  6. Matt Silberstein

    Notan Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:
    >
    > On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 19:31:08 GMT, Matt Silberstein
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I just sent an email to someone with the sig you see below. The second
    > >URL <snip> is banned by AOL.

    >
    > This has got **** all to do with computer security
    > if you have an issue wth AOL take it up with them,
    > in the meantime please refrain from spamming


    SPAMing? You're kidding, right?

    Notan
    Notan, Oct 27, 2005
    #6
  7. Matt Silberstein

    GregRo Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 00:52:28 +0200, Jim Watt <_way>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 19:31:08 GMT, Matt Silberstein
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I just sent an email to someone with the sig you see below. The second
    >>URL <snip> is banned by AOL.

    >
    >This has got XX all to do with computer security
    >if you have an issue wth AOL take it up with them,
    >in the meantime please refrain from spamming


    He is not spamming and if he was., By using cuss words is just as bad
    as spamming.

    To the original poster
    Have your tried using a different browser?

    If you are the parent. Maybe AOL as the parental control tunred on by
    default




    Greg Ro
    GregRo, Oct 27, 2005
    #7
  8. On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 00:52:28 +0200, in alt.computer.security , Jim
    Watt <_way> in
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 19:31:08 GMT, Matt Silberstein
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I just sent an email to someone with the sig you see below. The second
    >>URL <snip> is banned by AOL.

    >
    >This has got **** all to do with computer security
    >if you have an issue wth AOL take it up with them,
    >in the meantime please refrain from spamming


    You think that systems blocking email based on the content is not a
    security issue? I have to disagree. Their blocking my email affects
    the availability of the data, one of the legs of IT security.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

    Genocide is news | Be A Witness
    http://www.beawitness.org

    "Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
    www.darfurgenocide.org

    Save Darfur.org :: Violence and Suffering in Sudan's Darfur Region
    http://www.savedarfur.org/
    Matt Silberstein, Oct 27, 2005
    #8
  9. Matt Silberstein bashed at the keyboard and came up with this gem of wisdom
    in alt.computer.security:


    > Sorry. My point was how can I find out why this is on some banned
    > list?


    How about asking AOL? Duh.
    Michael Thompson, Oct 27, 2005
    #9
  10. On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 02:43:11 +0100, in alt.computer.security , Michael
    Thompson <> in
    <> wrote:

    >Matt Silberstein bashed at the keyboard and came up with this gem of wisdom
    >in alt.computer.security:
    >
    >
    >> Sorry. My point was how can I find out why this is on some banned
    >> list?

    >
    >How about asking AOL? Duh.


    Because in the past, both by my experience and by what I have read,
    they keep the contents and rational behind their blacklists very
    quite. I was asking if things have changed.


    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

    Genocide is news | Be A Witness
    http://www.beawitness.org

    "Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
    www.darfurgenocide.org

    Save Darfur.org :: Violence and Suffering in Sudan's Darfur Region
    http://www.savedarfur.org/
    Matt Silberstein, Oct 27, 2005
    #10
  11. Matt Silberstein bashed at the keyboard and came up with this gem of wisdom
    in alt.computer.security:


    > On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 02:43:11 +0100, in alt.computer.security , Michael
    > Thompson <> in
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Matt Silberstein bashed at the keyboard and came up with this gem of
    >>wisdom in alt.computer.security:
    >>
    >>
    >>> Sorry. My point was how can I find out why this is on some banned
    >>> list?

    >>
    >>How about asking AOL? Duh.

    >
    > Because in the past, both by my experience and by what I have read,
    > they keep the contents and rational behind their blacklists very
    > quite. I was asking if things have changed.
    >
    >


    Yet another reason not to like AOHell
    Michael Thompson, Oct 27, 2005
    #11
  12. Matt Silberstein

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 01:31:48 GMT, Matt Silberstein
    <> wrote:

    >You think that systems blocking email based on the content is not a
    >security issue? I have to disagree. Their blocking my email affects
    >the availability of the data, one of the legs of IT security.


    Thats what all spammers say - as your signature was as long as the
    message and you have your website URL there three times it looks
    more like a cheap attempt to put your political message in peoples
    face rather than anything serious.

    You fail to explain how a URL is allegedly 'banned' by AOL

    If they are blocking your email, its could be because they have
    identified you as a spammer, which is likely, or because they
    have implemented Sender id

    now read

    http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/safety/technologies/senderid/default.mspx

    I sometimes have had my email to AOL users blocked because of their
    policies of blocking suspicious senders, like spammers.

    However its something you should take up with them, and your service
    provider.

    presumably their users are happy with the way their email is sanitised
    and in taking bigtime spammers to court they are doing everyine a
    service. Generally they also seem to respond promptly to my
    complaints, although it might not be my choice of an ISP
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Oct 27, 2005
    #12
  13. Matt Silberstein

    Notan Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > presumably their users are happy with the way their email is sanitised
    > and in taking bigtime spammers to court they are doing everyine a
    > service. Generally they also seem to respond promptly to my
    > complaints, although it might not be my choice of an ISP


    I've found AOL to be nothing but a bunch of hypocrites.

    While they tout their anti-SPAM existence, I've seen some of the biggest USENET
    SPAMers originate their posts from AOL addresses. Repeated complaints seem to do
    absolutely nothing.

    Notan
    Notan, Oct 27, 2005
    #13
  14. On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 06:47:35 +0100, in alt.computer.security , Michael
    Thompson <> in
    <> wrote:

    >Matt Silberstein bashed at the keyboard and came up with this gem of wisdom
    >in alt.computer.security:
    >
    >
    >> On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 02:43:11 +0100, in alt.computer.security , Michael
    >> Thompson <> in
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Matt Silberstein bashed at the keyboard and came up with this gem of
    >>>wisdom in alt.computer.security:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> Sorry. My point was how can I find out why this is on some banned
    >>>> list?
    >>>
    >>>How about asking AOL? Duh.

    >>
    >> Because in the past, both by my experience and by what I have read,
    >> they keep the contents and rational behind their blacklists very
    >> quite. I was asking if things have changed.
    >>
    >>

    >
    >Yet another reason not to like AOHell


    True, but most blacklist providers try to hide things.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

    Genocide is news | Be A Witness
    http://www.beawitness.org

    "Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
    www.darfurgenocide.org

    Save Darfur.org :: Violence and Suffering in Sudan's Darfur Region
    http://www.savedarfur.org/
    Matt Silberstein, Oct 27, 2005
    #14
  15. On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 09:06:35 +0200, in alt.computer.security , Jim
    Watt <_way> in
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 01:31:48 GMT, Matt Silberstein
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>You think that systems blocking email based on the content is not a
    >>security issue? I have to disagree. Their blocking my email affects
    >>the availability of the data, one of the legs of IT security.

    >
    >Thats what all spammers say - as your signature was as long as the
    >message and you have your website URL there three times


    I don't have my website in my sig. And I am sorry if I am giving too
    many lines to try to prevent genocide. I guess you have more important
    things on your mind.

    > it looks
    >more like a cheap attempt to put your political message in peoples
    >face rather than anything serious.


    Oh wow, I would try to get people to know about genocide, how immoral
    of me.

    >You fail to explain how a URL is allegedly 'banned' by AOL


    I am sorry if I was not clear. I sent an email to a friend with the
    sig you see. They blocked it and told me it was due to a URL. By
    modifying the sig I figured out which URL was the problem.

    >If they are blocking your email, its could be because they have
    >identified you as a spammer, which is likely, or because they
    >have implemented Sender id


    Because, after all, AOL would block people who have sigs with more
    than four lines. Sheesh. I guess they are blocking me. And it is just
    a coincidence that they only block messages with that URL.

    >now read
    >
    >http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/safety/technologies/senderid/default.mspx
    >
    >I sometimes have had my email to AOL users blocked because of their
    >policies of blocking suspicious senders, like spammers.
    >
    >However its something you should take up with them, and your service
    >provider.
    >
    >presumably their users are happy with the way their email is sanitised


    What a notion. Is this your normal view, that what companies do we
    presume is liked?

    >and in taking bigtime spammers to court they are doing everyine a
    >service. Generally they also seem to respond promptly to my
    >complaints, although it might not be my choice of an ISP

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

    Genocide is news | Be A Witness
    http://www.beawitness.org

    "Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
    www.darfurgenocide.org

    Save Darfur.org :: Violence and Suffering in Sudan's Darfur Region
    http://www.savedarfur.org/
    Matt Silberstein, Oct 27, 2005
    #15
  16. Matt Silberstein

    Jason Guest

    Matt Silberstein wrote:

    > I don't have my website in my sig. And I am sorry if I am giving too
    > many lines to try to prevent genocide. I guess you have more important
    > things on your mind.



    No website in your sig Matt? What do you call this then? How many do you
    need to have before you see it?

    Matt Silberstein

    Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

    Genocide is news | Be A Witness
    http://www.beawitness.org

    "Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
    www.darfurgenocide.org

    Save Darfur.org :: Violence and Suffering in Sudan's Darfur Region
    http://www.savedarfur.org/
    Jason, Oct 27, 2005
    #16
  17. Matt Silberstein

    Notan Guest

    Jason wrote:
    >
    > Matt Silberstein wrote:
    >
    > > I don't have my website in my sig. And I am sorry if I am giving too
    > > many lines to try to prevent genocide. I guess you have more important
    > > things on your mind.

    >
    > No website in your sig Matt? What do you call this then? How many do you
    > need to have before you see it?


    I think, without realizing it, y'all are playing word games.

    Matt says "I don't have my website in my sig."

    The operative word is "my."

    Notan
    Notan, Oct 27, 2005
    #17
  18. On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:05:26 GMT, in alt.computer.security , Jason
    <> in
    <aV68f.114921$> wrote:

    >Matt Silberstein wrote:
    >
    >> I don't have my website in my sig. And I am sorry if I am giving too
    >> many lines to try to prevent genocide. I guess you have more important
    >> things on your mind.

    >
    >
    >No website in your sig Matt? What do you call this then? How many do you
    >need to have before you see it?


    Did you miss the word "my" in front of the word "website"? If so, try
    reading the sentence and see if you get a different meaning. And if
    your are going to get all huffy about appropriate rules for sigs,
    consider avoiding unmarked snips.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

    http://www.beawitness.org
    http://www.darfurgenocide.org
    http://www.savedarfur.org

    "Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
    Matt Silberstein, Oct 27, 2005
    #18
  19. On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:30:17 -0600, in alt.computer.security , Notan
    <> in <> wrote:

    >Jason wrote:
    >>
    >> Matt Silberstein wrote:
    >>
    >> > I don't have my website in my sig. And I am sorry if I am giving too
    >> > many lines to try to prevent genocide. I guess you have more important
    >> > things on your mind.

    >>
    >> No website in your sig Matt? What do you call this then? How many do you
    >> need to have before you see it?

    >
    >I think, without realizing it, y'all are playing word games.
    >
    >Matt says "I don't have my website in my sig."
    >
    >The operative word is "my."


    Yep. I am not promoting my site, I do not work for any of the
    organizations mention in my sig, I am not a member of any of those
    organizations. I am using the space in my sig to let people know about
    an on-going genocide. Not sell my product, not steal identities, just
    raise awareness regarding mass murder. For some people the number of
    lines in a sig is of major importance, I don't see it as quite so
    significant.


    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

    http://www.beawitness.org
    http://www.darfurgenocide.org
    http://www.savedarfur.org

    "Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"
    Matt Silberstein, Oct 27, 2005
    #19
  20. Matt Silberstein

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:49:13 GMT, Matt Silberstein
    <> wrote:

    >I don't have my website in my sig. And I am sorry if I am giving too
    >many lines to try to prevent genocide. I guess you have more important
    >things on your mind.


    This group is about computer security, there are a lot of other
    problems in the world this is not the place for them


    >> it looks
    >>more like a cheap attempt to put your political message in peoples
    >>face rather than anything serious.

    >
    >Oh wow, I would try to get people to know about genocide, how immoral
    >of me.


    ah so you are spamming.

    >>You fail to explain how a URL is allegedly 'banned' by AOL

    >
    >I am sorry if I was not clear. I sent an email to a friend with the
    >sig you see. They blocked it and told me it was due to a URL. By
    >modifying the sig I figured out which URL was the problem.


    If you bothered to read the rest of the post, you might understand
    why you are wrong and what actually is happening.

    >>now read
    >>
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/safety/technologies/senderid/default.mspx


    >>presumably their users are happy with the way their email is sanitised

    >
    >What a notion. Is this your normal view, that what companies do we
    >presume is liked?


    If their clients are happy, they continue to use the service, if not
    they go elsewhere. However, if you are sending unsolicited
    emails to AOL clients maybe they reported you and your address
    is blocked.


    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Oct 27, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. RObErT_RaTh

    Banned on signup!

    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 7, 2005, in forum: The Lounge
    Replies:
    71
    Views:
    4,438
    The Modfather
    Oct 15, 2005
  2. RObErT_RaTh

    Another banned :(

    RObErT_RaTh, Sep 9, 2005, in forum: The Lounge
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,704
    unholy
    Sep 10, 2005
  3. Ban Consultant

    Consultant needs to be banned !

    Ban Consultant, Aug 6, 2004, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    39
    Views:
    975
    billyw
    Aug 9, 2004
  4. Question

    did I register a previously banned domain name?

    Question, Jul 19, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    482
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=
    Jul 20, 2004
  5. Roger-with-the-funny-vowels

    How long does it take to get banned?

    Roger-with-the-funny-vowels, Apr 7, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    434
    Blinky the Shark
    Apr 7, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page