    commercial programs that do much the same thing are left alone. I won't
    mention any of the latter names, but there are quite a few. Is it some kind
    of protection racket with $kickbacks to be left alone?

    def456, May 11, 2007

  2. def456

    Guest

    On May 11, 11:58 am, "def456" <> wrote:
    > We all know that DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter were banned. They're still
    > available here & there, but their authors have abandoned them. Now I hear
    > that more video editing software has been banned, for example FixVTS, and
    > possibly RipIt4Me is due to get the axe next. Those are all free software
    > titles. I don't understand how such free programs can be banned while
    > commercial programs that do much the same thing are left alone. I won't
    > mention any of the latter names, but there are quite a few. Is it some kind
    > of protection racket with $kickbacks to be left alone?

    Commercial software makers probably have contracts with the MPAA for
    the ability to do what they do and that is exactly the reason they're
    left alone. Part of the purchase price goes towards this "protection
    racket" as you call it. Something can't ever be FREE if it costs
    money somewhere along the production chain. Same principal with the
    fraunhoffer mp3 codec. Companies like Adobe pay the german consortium
    money to use it in their products and then pass off the cost of the
    licensing fee to consumers at purchase time.

    , May 12, 2007