    do so. Was even considering something with an AGP or PCIExpress *and* decent
    integrated graphics to save on the initial cost.

    Recommendations?
    ]v[etaphoid, Dec 14, 2004

  2. ]v[etaphoid

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "]v[etaphoid" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | In your opinion, what is the best combination of motherboard & CPU as far
    | as bang for buck goes?
    |
    | Putting together a system which I want to have a decent shelf-life and
    | upgrade path, but not looking to spend on cutting edge gear when cheaper
    | stuff is available which can perform near identically or be overclocked to
    | do so. Was even considering something with an AGP or PCIExpress *and*
    decent
    | integrated graphics to save on the initial cost.
    |
    | Recommendations?

    there...
    Toolman Tim, Dec 14, 2004

  3. ]v[etaphoid

    Old Gringo Guest

    http://pcrightnow.com/

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Old Gringo, Dec 14, 2004
  4. ]v[etaphoid

    Mac Cool Guest

  5. ]v[etaphoid

    Tod Guest

    Nvidia 5200 Ultra or ATI 9600 ($90 or cheaper)
    ATI 9100 ($25 on eBay)
    ECS K7VTA3 (version 6 or later)
    ECS KT-600
    Fry's Electronics will have the K7VTA3/CPU combos for $60

    Cuzman, Dec 14, 2004
  7. ]v[etaphoid

    Guest

    How big is your buck?
    Or how big does your bang need to be? (What do you want to do with the
    machine?)
    , Dec 14, 2004
  8. ]v[etaphoid

    ]v[etaphoid Guest

    "Mac Cool" <> wrote in message
    > http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/system-guide-200411.ars/2
    > --
    > Mac Cool

    Fantastic link - exactly what I was looking for! Between the budget &
    hot-rod recommendation sections, I should be well catered to.

    Much obliged Mac.
    ]v[etaphoid, Dec 14, 2004
  9. ]v[etaphoid

    ]v[etaphoid Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "]v[etaphoid" <> wrote in message
    > | In your opinion, what is the best combination of motherboard & CPU as

    far
    > | as bang for buck goes?
    > |
    > | Putting together a system which I want to have a decent shelf-life and
    > | upgrade path, but not looking to spend on cutting edge gear when cheaper
    > | stuff is available which can perform near identically or be overclocked

    > | do so. Was even considering something with an AGP or PCIExpress *and*
    > decent
    > | integrated graphics to save on the initial cost.
    > |
    > | Recommendations?

    > there...

    Indeed there were for a low-end system. However, after a reallocation of
    funds, I've got a little more to spend and hence am now seeking best bang
    for buck rather than an out and out cheap solution. Thanks anyway...
    ]v[etaphoid, Dec 14, 2004
  10. ]v[etaphoid

    John Doe Guest

    "]v[etaphoid" <> wrote:

    > In your opinion, what is the best combination of motherboard & CPU
    >as far as bang for buck goes?
    >Putting together a system which I want to [last]
    >and upgrade path, but not looking to spend on cutting edge gear

    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=241151

    I have one. It's dirt cheap. With your choice of Athlon XP CPU.

    The only thing I don't like about it so far has something to do with
    the built-in LAN.

    John Doe, Dec 14, 2004
  11. ]v[etaphoid

    John Doe Guest

    "Tod" <> wrote:

    >Fry's Electronics will have the K7VTA3/CPU combos for $60

    A mainboard with a CPU for $60? Sold at a retail store? That sounds
    scary.
    John Doe, Dec 14, 2004
  12. On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:29:02 GMT, John Doe
    <> wrote:

    >"Tod" <> wrote:

    >>Fry's Electronics will have the K7VTA3/CPU combos for $60

    >A mainboard with a CPU for $60? Sold at a retail store? That sounds
    >scary.

    Why? I bought a K7S5A motherboard/AMD 1800+ combo from Frys 3 years
    ago for $58 and haven't had any problems since.
    Shane Matthews, Dec 14, 2004
  13. ]v[etaphoid

    rhys Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 04:44:36 GMT, Mac Cool <> wrote:

    >http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/system-guide-200411.ars/2

    Good grief, I actually began to drool over that "God Box", although I
    could skip about half the hardware to concentrate on the HD, the
    board, the dual CPUs and the huge helpings of RAM sauce.

    R.
    rhys, Dec 14, 2004
  14. ]v[etaphoid

    John Doe Guest

    jaster <> wrote:
    >On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:29:02 +0000, John Doe wrote:
    >> "Tod" <> wrote:

    >>>Fry's Electronics will have the K7VTA3/CPU combos for $60

    >> A mainboard with a CPU for $60? Sold at a retail store? That
    >> sounds scary.

    >Let me say two things about Frys

    My comment had nothing to do with Frys per se.
    John Doe, Dec 15, 2004
  15. ]v[etaphoid

    Mac Cool Guest

    Mac Cool, Dec 15, 2004
  16. ]v[etaphoid

    Duck ducking Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:14:06 -0800, Shane Matthews
    <> wrote:

    >Why? I bought a K7S5A motherboard/AMD 1800+ combo from Frys 3 years
    >ago for $58 and haven't had any problems since.

    A good combo and would be still running here except for a wayward
    screwdriver. Damn good cheap board if a bit eccentric with remembering
    it's settings.
    Duck ducking, Dec 15, 2004
  17. John Doe wrote:
    > "Tod" <> wrote:

    > >Fry's Electronics will have the K7VTA3/CPU combos for $60

    > A mainboard with a CPU for $60? Sold at a retail store?
    > That sounds scary.

    That's $20 more than it was yesterday with a 1.6 GHz Duron, but the $60
    package often includes the heatsink/fan. Fry's also had an Antec
    SLK1600 case w/ 300W PSU for $15, after rebate, but it was $5 AR on
    Nov. 26, and I paid a whopping $25 AR for it back in Sept. :(

    www.latimes.com and http://dfw.newspaperads.com can give you an idea of
    what Fry's offers.
    larry moe 'n curly, Dec 15, 2004
  18. ]v[etaphoid

    John Doe Guest

    I think the problem occurs mainly when you cross post to not quite
    technical discussion groups.

    John Doe, Dec 15, 2004
  19. ]v[etaphoid

    Parko Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:47:36 +1100, ]v[etaphoid wrote:

    > In your opinion, what is the best combination of motherboard & CPU as far
    > as bang for buck goes?
    >
    > Putting together a system which I want to have a decent shelf-life and
    > upgrade path, but not looking to spend on cutting edge gear when cheaper
    > stuff is available which can perform near identically or be overclocked to
    > do so. Was even considering something with an AGP or PCIExpress *and* decent
    > integrated graphics to save on the initial cost.
    >
    > Recommendations?

    Try a 2.8C P4, mine's overclocked to 3.27Ghz. Stable, with a Gigabyte
    GA8-IPE Pro Rev 3 Mobo. Both should be dirt cheap now.

    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345
    Parko, Dec 16, 2004
  20. Where do you find a 2.8c for "dirt cheap"?

    thx

    bob

    Bob Snelgrove, Dec 16, 2004