    Cest la Vie.

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    *Slow day Posts Blog*

    Collector»NZ, Jun 3, 2005

  2. In article <42a0d3ed$>,
    says...
    > Just got the bandwidth usage report for Internet access from the LAN I run.
    >
    > What was the top site visited by my 380 users, A pron site, A news Site, hell
    > the Company Intranet, nope they where all beaten hands down by a NZ site
    > "TRADEME". Dam if the company blocks it, as the New Guy on site I am going to
    > get it in the neck from the users as having done it. Oh well its not my call so
    > Cest la Vie.

    Figures. I seem to meet people these days that can only be described as
    trademe junkies.

    Just can't figure it out myself. I've run and auction or two but I don't
    see the attraction buying or selling there.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jun 4, 2005

  3. On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 10:05:42 +1200, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > Just got the bandwidth usage report for Internet access from the LAN I run.
    >
    > What was the top site visited by my 380 users, A pron site, A news Site, hell
    > the Company Intranet, nope they where all beaten hands down by a NZ site
    > "TRADEME". Dam if the company blocks it, as the New Guy on site I am going to
    > get it in the neck from the users as having done it. Oh well its not my call so
    > Cest la Vie.

    Heh don't block it - just shape traffic so it is really, really slow ;-)

    wogers nemesis, Jun 4, 2005
  4. Collector»NZ

    mark Guest

    wogers nemesis <> wrote in

    > Subject: Re: Bandwidth usage
    > From: wogers nemesis <>
    > Newsgroups: nz.comp
    >
    > On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 10:05:42 +1200, Collector¯NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Just got the bandwidth usage report for Internet access from the LAN
    >> I run.
    >>
    >> What was the top site visited by my 380 users, A pron site, A news
    >> Site, hell the Company Intranet, nope they where all beaten hands
    >> down by a NZ site "TRADEME". Dam if the company blocks it, as the New
    >> Guy on site I am going to get it in the neck from the users as having
    >> done it. Oh well its not my call so
    >> Cest la Vie.

    > Heh don't block it - just shape traffic so it is really, really slow
    > ;-)

    They might want to block it so their staff actually spend some time working
    at their job, not just to save on bandwidth, and slowing it down will only
    make them waste more time :)

    --
    ---

    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of a message.
    Q: Why is top posting a sloppy form of writing?

    mark, Jun 4, 2005
  5. Collector»NZ

    EMB Guest

    mark wrote:

    > They might want to block it so their staff actually spend some time working
    > at their job, not just to save on bandwidth, and slowing it down will only
    > make them waste more time :)

    Slowing it lets you see who the really thick ones are - they lodge fault
    reports with the helpdesk.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Jun 4, 2005
  6. EMB wrote:
    > mark wrote:
    >
    >> They might want to block it so their staff actually spend some time
    >> working at their job, not just to save on bandwidth, and slowing it
    >> down will only make them waste more time :)

    > Slowing it lets you see who the really thick ones are - they lodge fault
    > reports with the helpdesk.

    Like the new Indian engineer who logged a call because he couldnt click https
    links in his hot mail account to apply for jobs with another company.

    At over 5Gb of traffic a month we must have a lot of dedicated traders at work.

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    *Slow day Posts Blog*

    Collector»NZ, Jun 5, 2005
  7. Collector»NZ

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Collector»NZ <> wrote in

    > At over 5Gb of traffic a month we must have a lot of dedicated traders
    > at work.

    Trademe and many many others are blocked at my office by our Auckland
    proxy.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 5, 2005
  8. Collector»NZ

    steven Guest

    On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 10:05:42 +1200, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > Just got the bandwidth usage report for Internet access from the LAN I run.
    >
    > What was the top site visited by my 380 users, A pron site, A news Site, hell
    > the Company Intranet, nope they where all beaten hands down by a NZ site
    > "TRADEME". Dam if the company blocks it, as the New Guy on site I am going to
    > get it in the neck from the users as having done it. Oh well its not my call so
    > Cest la Vie.

    would it help if you hacked up some sort of log analyzation software, link
    usernames to sites and calculate an estimated 'time waste' number

    then send said logs to the people abusing the corporate pipe - it wold make
    them think twice knowing that their bosses know how much time they are
    wasting.

    hell - even better,

    just post peoples names against the websites they like to visit on a public
    notice board.

    if i was in your position that is exactly what i would do - but then again
    iam knowen as an asshole.

    --
    -------------------------------------
    Steven H (.net geek)

    steven, Jun 5, 2005
  9. Collector»NZ

    Shane Guest

    On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 17:05:03 +1200, wogers nemesis wrote:

    > On 4 Jun 2005 16:37:47 +0200, mark wrote:
    >
    >> wogers nemesis <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Subject: Re: Bandwidth usage
    >>> From: wogers nemesis <>
    >>> Newsgroups: nz.comp

    >>> Heh don't block it - just shape traffic so it is really, really slow
    >>> ;-)

    >> They might want to block it so their staff actually spend some time working
    >> at their job, not just to save on bandwidth, and slowing it down will only
    >> make them waste more time :)

    > Okay, then redirect it to some boring webpage then .. such as the work
    > intranet ;)

    or.
    everytime they go to view an auction.. send them a 'congrats on selecting
    'buy now' the poor asshats will think they have bought every damn auction
    on trademe

    Shane, Jun 5, 2005

    wogers nemesis, Jun 5, 2005
  11. Collector»NZ

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <Xns966C8827ABE46daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>,
    Dave Taylor <> wrote:

    >Trademe and many many others are blocked at my office by our Auckland
    >proxy.

    At one place I worked, you could view (browse) auctions but not bid or log
    on to your account. Seemed a good compromise to me.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    -- Microsoft advertisement on the box for Windows 2.11 for 286

    Don Hills, Jun 5, 2005
  12. Collector»NZ

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 12:34:31 +1200, Peter Huebner wrote:

    > In article <42a0d3ed$>,
    > says...
    >> Just got the bandwidth usage report for Internet access from the LAN I run.
    >>
    >> What was the top site visited by my 380 users, A pron site, A news Site, hell
    >> the Company Intranet, nope they where all beaten hands down by a NZ site
    >> "TRADEME". Dam if the company blocks it, as the New Guy on site I am going to
    >> get it in the neck from the users as having done it. Oh well its not my call so
    >> Cest la Vie.

    > Figures. I seem to meet people these days that can only be described as
    > trademe junkies.
    >
    > Just can't figure it out myself. I've run and auction or two but I don't
    > see the attraction buying or selling there.

    Auctions always have been places which some people love. Its the thrill of
    the chase, you can beat the other guy by playing your bets right.

    Others come to watch the pulling and tugging which is going on.

    Some are easily amused and it is entertainment for them.

    The thrill/hope of getting a bargin is what drives others. Espically true
    if you do it in work time. Time is money after all, just a question of
    whose.

    All about human behaviour. Very interesting stuff.

    Gordon, Jun 5, 2005
  13. Collector»NZ

    EMB Guest

    wogers nemesis wrote:

    > Okay, then redirect it to some boring webpage then .. such as the work
    > intranet ;)

    Leave the trademe site available, just block the IP of their image
    server - that sort of ruins the experience and will lead to some
    interesting helpdesk calls.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Jun 5, 2005
  14. Collector»NZ wrote:

    > At over 5Gb of traffic a month we must have a lot of dedicated traders
    > at work.

    Running 30-50GB/month here, with about 20 "real" users, ahem.
    Trademe doesn't even register on the log...
    BitTorrents, different story...

    Stewart Fleming, Jun 5, 2005
  15. Stewart Fleming wrote:

    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >

    >> At over 5Gb of traffic a month we must have a lot of dedicated traders
    >> at work.

    > Running 30-50GB/month here, with about 20 "real" users, ahem.
    > Trademe doesn't even register on the log...
    > BitTorrents, different story...

    Ha HA so far the SD Admins have only run logs of HTTP traffic, if they look
    harder i am sure they would find heaps of other traffic.

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    *Slow day Posts Blog*

    Collector»NZ, Jun 5, 2005
  16. Collector»NZ

    Impossible Guest

    "mark" <> wrote in message
    > wogers nemesis <> wrote in
    >>
    >> Heh don't block it - just shape traffic so it is really, really
    >> slow
    >> ;-)

    > They might want to block it so their staff actually spend some time
    > working
    > at their job, not just to save on bandwidth, and slowing it down
    > will only
    > make them waste more time :)

    Is it just me, or is there something ironic here about admins wasting
    company time chatting in nz.comp about how other people waste company
    time doing something else online?

    Impossible, Jun 5, 2005
  17. Collector»NZ

    Fishb8 Guest

    "Impossible" <> wrote in message
    > "mark" <> wrote in message
    >> wogers nemesis <> wrote in
    >>>
    >>> Heh don't block it - just shape traffic so it is really, really slow
    >>> ;-)

    >> They might want to block it so their staff actually spend some time
    >> working
    >> at their job, not just to save on bandwidth, and slowing it down will
    >> only
    >> make them waste more time :)

    > Is it just me, or is there something ironic here about admins wasting
    > company time chatting in nz.comp about how other people waste company time
    > doing something else online?

    I work at an electrical generation facility as a shift engineer and it can
    be fairly quiet at night, sometimes. A new manager made complaints about
    operators spending too much time on the internet, especially at night. He
    was asked, if all the internet traffic went dead between midnight and 06.00,
    what do you reckon's going on? He came to the correct conclusion and now
    prefers to see alert operators than sleeping ones.
    If you restricted internet access, productivity wouldn't increase. Well know
    fact, that during the miners strike in Britain in the 70s, many workplaces
    only worked a 3 day week. Almost no one had reduced output, in fact, some
    workplaces actually increased productivity.

    Fishb8, Jun 5, 2005
  18. Fishb8 wrote:
    > "Impossible" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"mark" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>wogers nemesis <> wrote in

    >>>They might want to block it so their staff actually spend some time
    >>>working
    >>>at their job, not just to save on bandwidth, and slowing it down will
    >>>only
    >>>make them waste more time :)

    >>Is it just me, or is there something ironic here about admins wasting
    >>company time chatting in nz.comp about how other people waste company time
    >>doing something else online?
    >>

    > I work at an electrical generation facility as a shift engineer and it can
    > be fairly quiet at night, sometimes. A new manager made complaints about
    > operators spending too much time on the internet, especially at night. He
    > was asked, if all the internet traffic went dead between midnight and 06.00,
    > what do you reckon's going on? He came to the correct conclusion and now
    > prefers to see alert operators than sleeping ones.
    > If you restricted internet access, productivity wouldn't increase. Well know
    > fact, that during the miners strike in Britain in the 70s, many workplaces
    > only worked a 3 day week. Almost no one had reduced output, in fact, some
    > workplaces actually increased productivity.

    Well my concern is not actually the time used or even what they are doing, its
    the cost of the phat pipe to support this activity and the cost to the company
    in fixing up the problems (Viri and Trojans).

    I had a call out on Friday night to a system in a control room where the shift
    operators couldnt log into a critical monitoring system because the hard drive
    had been filled up with Mpegs MP3's Jpegs and demo games all downloaded from
    the net.

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    *Slow day Posts Blog*

    Collector»NZ, Jun 5, 2005
  19. In article <12p8vqiotbqkw$.au5f9r32b4vq$>,
    steven <> wrote:

    >would it help if you hacked up some sort of log analyzation software...

    How do you analyzate?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 6, 2005
  20. Collector»NZ

    Fishb8 Guest

    "Lawrence D¹Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    > In article <12p8vqiotbqkw$.au5f9r32b4vq$>,
    > steven <> wrote:
    >
    >>would it help if you hacked up some sort of log analyzation software...

    > How do you analyzate?

    Hi Collector - Downloading MP3's, games etc, is a definite no no. We have a
    tightly managed environment where we don't have administrative rights to
    install just about anything. I understand your perspective is purely from
    the IT point of view, not HR.

    Fishb8, Jun 6, 2005