    Sorry if this an old question I'm on Satellite and service is capped at 1gb
    in and 125mb out per month,by my reasoning 150 mins of VOIP calls and my
    usage is reached(1mb a min)Correct?Any solutions?TIA

    tony p, Aug 1, 2005

  2. tony p

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "tony p" <> wrote in message
    news:1122929468.23e39fdce01c8a547d79b375e7450a32@teranews...
    > Sorry if this an old question I'm on Satellite and service is capped at
    > 1gb in and 125mb out per month,by my reasoning 150 mins of VOIP calls
    > and my usage is reached(1mb a min)Correct?Any solutions?TIA

    I may be wrong but I'd guess that the latency involved in a satellite link
    would seriously hamper any VoIP communications.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 1, 2005

  3. tony p

    tony p Guest

    Already using Skype and Bentleywalker,latency is a problem however,you can't
    change the laws of physics,anyone using a satellite system uses it as a last
    resort simply because their Telecom provider cannot provide rural access as
    is the case here in Spain(Despite private telecom company Telefonica getting
    a huge lump of EU cash in 2003 to improve the rural infrastructure-whoops
    there I go again)

    tony p, Aug 1, 2005
  4. tony p

    George Guest

    "tony p" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry if this an old question I'm on Satellite and service is capped
    > at 1gb in and 125mb out per month,by my reasoning 150 mins of VOIP
    > calls and my usage is reached(1mb a min)Correct?Any solutions?TIA

    You could use one of the low bandwidth codecs. The quality difference
    isn't too bad, but the band width saving is substantial

    George

    George, Aug 2, 2005
  5. tony p

    tony p Guest

    Interesting George,which do you suggest,thanks

    tony p, Aug 2, 2005
  6. "tony p" <> wrote in message
    > Interesting George,which do you suggest,thanks

    G729 has the best compression and hardly any quality loss. Look for MOS
    scores to see comparasons of codecs and qualities. In fact, take a look here
    http://sipx-wiki.calivia.com/index.php/Codecs_payload_and_voice_quality :)

    Shane Carpenter, Aug 2, 2005
  7. tony p wrote:
    > Sorry if this an old question I'm on Satellite and service is capped at 1gb
    > in and 125mb out per month,by my reasoning 150 mins of VOIP calls and my
    > usage is reached(1mb a min)Correct?Any solutions?TIA

    Unless satellite connections have come a long way since I've used them ,
    then I think a big limiting factor would be the lack of upstream bandwidth.

    Thomas Rankin, Aug 3, 2005
  8. tony p

    tony p Guest

    So in answer to my question..................tia.

    tony p, Aug 3, 2005
  9. One meg minute??

    --

    Earn £400 - £600 a month 10 - 15 hours a week Hit reply and beg for details
    or call

    Broadband ADSL £16.99/mo. NO RESTRICTIONS
    https://secure.v21.co.uk/user_signup/index.asp?a_code=90211563&exec=adsl_choices

    Save on your BT phone bill.
    Get £5 worth of calls FREE!!
    Get £10 for every friend you sign up!
    http://www.CheaperThanBT.org.uk/1

    Cheapest domains in the world! I'm not joking!
    http://www.QuarkBomb.co.uk/domain

    Free tools for webmasters. Well worth your attention!
    http://www.bravenet.com/?csid=150&afilid=3687474985

    "tony p" <> wrote in message
    : Sorry if this an old question I'm on Satellite and service is capped at
    1gb
    : in and 125mb out per month,by my reasoning 150 mins of VOIP calls and my
    : usage is reached(1mb a min)Correct?Any solutions?TIA
    :
    :

    CheaperThanBT, Aug 4, 2005
  10. tony p

    JC Guest

    On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 16:58:47 GMT, Thomas Rankin
    <> wrote:

    >Unless satellite connections have come a long way since I've used them ,
    >then I think a big limiting factor would be the lack of upstream bandwidth.

    Actually the biggest problem is latency - the delay while the signal
    is sent to the satellite and back. This causes (in geostationary
    systems) delays of 1/3 a second which messes up handshaking, can cause
    awful echo and confusion over who should be talking.

    Rgds
    Jonathan

    JC, Aug 5, 2005
  11. tony p

    tony p Guest

    yes I know about the latency I've been using it for 6 months but does it use
    1mb a min upload and down thanks

    CheaperThanBT, Aug 8, 2005
  13. ddd

    ShareholderUK, Aug 8, 2005
  14. tony p

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "ShareholderUK" <> wrote in message
    > ddd

    Hello Stefan

    <plonk>

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Aug 8, 2005
  15. "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in > Hello Stefan

    > <plonk>
    >
    > Ivor

    im sorry i am a vonage shareholder thats all, i have no idea who you are
    talking about love.

    ShareholderUK, Aug 8, 2005