Bandwidth monitoring via PIX + 3560 w/vlans

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by amattina@layer8group.com, Jun 6, 2007.

  1. Guest

    We have a hosted environment, basically a PIX 515 as a firewall which
    uplinks into a 3560 which runs multiple vlans to other 2960's where
    servers are connected. Let's say I have 10 VLANs, 10, 20, 30, etc.
    and I want to monitor how much BW each VLAN is pushing out of it's
    respective VLAN. Assume that VLANs do not (cannot) talk to each
    other, only to the gateway and out the PIX.

    What I did was setup MRTG on each VLAN interface on the 3560 thinking,
    "oh I need to go to the Internet, go through my gateway." and then I
    would be able to see how much traffic is passed through each virtual
    interface in and out of each subnet(VLAN). This isn't quite the case
    however. I am getting graphs, but the graphs are not representing
    this information. They are representing something but not what I
    think they are. If I get MRTG going on an individual switchport (so
    gi0/5), I get what looks like accurate bandwidth information that I
    could consider valid. This doesn't quite work though when you have a
    subnet with more than one machine. For clarification, let me also
    explain it this way:

    Switch core1 has VLAN interfaces 10 and 20. Switch lan1 has ports
    gi0/1 - 5 in VLAN 10 and gi0/6 - 10 in VLAN 20. Ports gi0/23 - 24 on
    both switches make up an etherchannel between core1 and lan1 and the
    port channel is a trunk carrying vlan info. core1 gi0/1 uplinks to
    the PIX which goes to the world. I configure MRTG on interface 'VLAN
    10' on switch: core1 thinking I will see traffic exiting and entering
    the vlan (for machines on lan1:gi0/1 -5). This is not the case.

    How can I get some insight into traffic usage per VLAN?

    Thanks!

    Adam
    , Jun 6, 2007