Bandwidth limit per user

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by tm4525@aol.com, Feb 15, 2005.

  1. Guest

    >Hardware bandwidth controllers are quite expensive - Planet 10 >Mbps

    is about
    >:1000 euro
    >

    >.
    >
    >Packeteer's PacketShaper is much more expensive than that :(
    >About $US7500 for PacketShaper 2500 with 10 M license (the >maximum
    >for the device),
    >About $US12500 for PacketShaper 6500 with 10 M license (the >minimum
    >for the device), about $US17000 for the fibre-equipped >equivilent.

    Getting a packetshaper for this type of application isn't
    a great idea; they are way too expensive and worse they are
    just not good at per-user limiting. They were designed for
    per-protocol control, and had to scramble rather badly when
    they realized they missed the boat on what is really needed.

    For $4-5K you can get a box than handles just about anything
    you can throw at it from etinc. We have an R1800G pushing
    87Mb/s with over 8000 user controls that runs at about 16%
    utilization. Sweet.

    www.etinc.com for info

    Tommy

    , Feb 15, 2005