    using OWA that the bandwidth won't be enough. Can anyone tell me from
    experience whether I'm worrying unnecessarily?
    Thanks in advance!
    instauratio, Dec 30, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    instauratio <> wrote:
    :I have a client (10 users) with DSL min 300Mbps speeds. They plan to
    :have exchange server and use remote control access. I'm concerned that
    :if two or three users are trying to remote in at once and others are
    :using OWA that the bandwidth won't be enough. Can anyone tell me from
    :experience whether I'm worrying unnecessarily?

    Suppose -everyone- was using remote control simultaneously.
    What would the average available bandwidth be?
    300 megabits per second divided by 10 users = 30 megabits per second.

    Now, consider where they are remoting -from-. Can the places they
    are remoting from support 30 megabits/second sustained?
    Probably not.

    Perhaps you should recheck your posting. I've never heard of any
    DSL provider able to handle 300 megabits per second. 3 megabits per
    second perhaps.

    How exactly would the users be doing remote control? VNC?
    remote desktop? What are they remote controlling, what is the
    rate at which the information changes, does the entire screen
    change or usually just a portion at a time? For example,
    are they going to be just typing into a word processor or
    spreadsheet, or are they going to be watching streaming videos?

    We can't really answer your question because you haven't given
    us enough information.
    --
    Reviewers should be required to produce a certain number of
    negative reviews - like police given quotas for handing out
    Walter Roberson, Dec 30, 2004

  3. instauratio

    thrill Guest

    I think you mean 300Kbps, which is more than enough bandwidth to
    support 10 users. You can figure that each RDP connection will use
    from 20 to 30K each. The 20 to 30K is assuming that they are all
    active sessions (all are all working studiously at the same time).
    This is not very likely. I have 256K frame connections to hundreds of
    locations that had 15 or 20 users doing the same thing. No need to
    worry.

    Scott
    thrill, Jan 2, 2005
  4. instauratio

    instauratio Guest

    Thanks Scott, I did indeed mean 300Kbps. Thanks for the advice - I
    going to implement this and advise the customer that it will work under
    most conditions.

    instauratio, Jan 2, 2005