    computer to have 1024KB, is there a way yet to do this?

    Cheers

    John
    John, Jul 30, 2005

  2. John

    Sean Guest

    John wrote:
    > I just wondered if there is a way of distributing Internet bandwidth
    > 'unevenly' on a home network?
    >
    > So for example if you had a 2MB ADSL connection, and you had 4
    > computers on the network, if you wanted two systems to just have a
    > 256KB connection, the other to have a 512KB connection and the last
    > computer to have 1024KB, is there a way yet to do this?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > John

    There is some software called Netlimiter which you can use on each
    machine, but of course anyone on the machine can change the speed settings.

    It also lets you set speed for different applications on your
    machine.....check it out netlimiter.com
    Sean, Jul 30, 2005

  3. John

    wooosh Guest

    "Sean" <> wrote in message
    > John wrote:
    >> I just wondered if there is a way of distributing Internet bandwidth
    >> 'unevenly' on a home network?
    >>
    >> So for example if you had a 2MB ADSL connection, and you had 4
    >> computers on the network, if you wanted two systems to just have a
    >> 256KB connection, the other to have a 512KB connection and the last
    >> computer to have 1024KB, is there a way yet to do this?

    Get a router which has bandwidth management.

    I think some of the Draytek rage do this.

    Paul
    wooosh, Jul 31, 2005
  4. John

    Steve Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    >I just wondered if there is a way of distributing Internet bandwidth
    > 'unevenly' on a home network?
    >
    > So for example if you had a 2MB ADSL connection, and you had 4
    > computers on the network, if you wanted two systems to just have a
    > 256KB connection, the other to have a 512KB connection and the last
    > computer to have 1024KB, is there a way yet to do this?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > John

    It is possible to do what you are wanting, but it can only be done with
    either a router that has the facility to control bandwidth, or by using a
    computer running a proxy server. I do it with the latter. Basically I can
    setup a number of accounts (1 for each computer) and have each computer
    assigned a certain amount of bandwidth. It has worked here fine for over a
    year. There is no way of getting around the limit this way if it is set up
    correctly. Of course my option requires a computer to stay switched on
    24/7, but this is not a problem here as I have a webserver and several other
    things running on a computer that does stay switched on all the time.

    Steve
    Steve, Aug 1, 2005
  5. John

    Sean Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > "John" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I just wondered if there is a way of distributing Internet bandwidth
    >>'unevenly' on a home network?
    >>
    >>So for example if you had a 2MB ADSL connection, and you had 4
    >>computers on the network, if you wanted two systems to just have a
    >>256KB connection, the other to have a 512KB connection and the last
    >>computer to have 1024KB, is there a way yet to do this?
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>
    >>John
    >>

    > It is possible to do what you are wanting, but it can only be done with
    > either a router that has the facility to control bandwidth, or by using a
    > computer running a proxy server. I do it with the latter. Basically I can
    > setup a number of accounts (1 for each computer) and have each computer
    > assigned a certain amount of bandwidth. It has worked here fine for over a
    > year. There is no way of getting around the limit this way if it is set up
    > correctly. Of course my option requires a computer to stay switched on
    > 24/7, but this is not a problem here as I have a webserver and several other
    > things running on a computer that does stay switched on all the time.
    >
    > Steve

    Can you let me know how to set up a proxy server?

    Please e-mail me.... remove NOSPAM.

    Cheerz
    Sean, Aug 1, 2005
  6. John

    Chris Guest

    In article <dcljbv$frm$2surf.net>,
    says...
    > Can you let me know how to set up a proxy server?

    If you're au fait with unix, or variant, you can install squid. Google
    will be your friend in setting this up. It's not for the novice though.
    Chris, Aug 1, 2005
  7. John

    Mike Scott Guest

    wooosh wrote:
    >>>I just wondered if there is a way of distributing Internet bandwidth
    >>>'unevenly' on a home network?
    >>>
    >>>So for example if you had a 2MB ADSL connection, and you had 4
    >>>computers on the network, if you wanted two systems to just have a
    >>>256KB connection, the other to have a 512KB connection and the last
    >>>computer to have 1024KB, is there a way yet to do this?
    >>>

    > Get a router which has bandwidth management.

    Or run a linux/xxxBSD box as gateway/router and use traffic shaping on
    that. There are other advantages too.

    various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
    Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
    Mike Scott, Aug 3, 2005
  8. John

    Fakename Guest

    The length of time it takes to become profecient at using it is NOT one
    of them.

    Fakename, Aug 4, 2005
  9. John

    Mike Scott Guest

    Fakename wrote:
    > The length of time it takes to become profecient at using it is NOT one
    > of them.

    Agreed. But the OP asked for options and specified no restrictions. As
    I said though, there are other advantages - considerable IMO.

    various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
    Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
    Mike Scott, Aug 4, 2005